PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Team Beside The Sox.

soxonfox
12-31-2004, 10:03 PM
im interested in who your favorite team is baseball is besides the red sox.

mine is the Philidalphia Phillies.

i would value your opinions on this subject.

thank you.

BoSox Rule
12-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Oakland.

Gertie
12-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Cubs, mainly because I love their pitching staff. How much do I love it? Well, let's just say if Prior, Wood, Zambrano, and Maddux asked me to join them in a hot tub, I'd accept without a second thought.

Uh, what?

Soxfan#1
12-31-2004, 10:51 PM
padres

schillingouttheks
12-31-2004, 11:05 PM
astros.

element1151
12-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Seattle Mariners, because i live here now.

RedSoxRooter
12-31-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd have to say the Tigers. I saw Tigertown when I was real young, and it made an impression. Roy Schieder was the man (at the time).

The Tigers deserve some respect.

yeszir
01-01-2005, 06:37 AM
I always really liked the Cardinals for some reason.

Noah
01-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Musta sucked to root against them in the WS.

yankeessuck013
01-01-2005, 02:11 PM
yankees....just kidding

mines the cubs in the NL
and the Angels in the AL

elsrbueno
01-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I watched a lot of WGN as a kid, so there's a special place in my heart for the Cubs/White Sox.

ahhchon
01-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Pawsox

Zenny
01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
A's and Dodgers.

stevece80
01-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Safety teams are gay.

Sox fan in Tex
01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Houston Astros

Zenny
01-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Safety teams are gay.
Safety teams? No, after Theo and the Red Sox, I just root for Beane disciples that aren't in the AL East (sorry, J.P.).

stevece80
01-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I didn't say they were "safety teams" for you, but it seems a lot of people have a backup team in case their main one is eliminated. I suppose, though, if I had to pick a team to respect more than the rest of the MLB competition, it would be the Padres. I've got one favorite, though.

Chitalian Stallion
01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Houston, love Oswalt

CalvnHobs6
01-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Diamondbacks. Between Hillenbrand, Baerga, Fossum (former Soxers) and Brandon Webb...not to mention their World Series vs the Yankees. I like these guys. However, if they trade Hillenbrand (which appears likely this offseason), I will like them slightly less.

stevece80
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Just curious, but why do you like Hillenbrand so much? Just my opinion, but I can't think of a single player on the Red Sox in recent years that I've ever had more of an unbridled hatred for. There was nothing more frustrating than watch him flail on 0-2 at pitches that were in the lefty batter's box, or him calling Theo a "faggot", or his constant shots towards the Red Sox, the veterans on the Red Sox, the Red Sox minor league staff, Fenway Park, et cetera after he was traded. Beyond this stuff, people who were around him when he played for the Trenton Thunder said he's the most pompous dickweed they ever had to deal with.

Not a big fan of Mr. April.

CalvnHobs6
01-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Not a big fan of Mr. April.

I can tell. (about Mr. April....he hit above .300 in every month except April and August in '04)

I dunno, it seems as though almost every game that I saw him play in, he got some clutch hits. He was the Dbacks best and most consistent hitter through 2004, and is improving every year.

About the jabs at Theo - they were taken out of context, apparently (and I can't back this, I heard this somewhere a few years back) the interview was cut up just to rile up the fans and give the media a story.

And about him being hard to deal with - well, even the great Babe Ruth was an asshole.

stevece80
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Babe Ruth's a Hall Of Famer, Shea Hillenbrand is at this point of his career, cumulatively, a below-average hitting corner infielder, though. I'm not sure it's exactly a compliment being the most consistent hitter on one of the worst offenses ever. He would have been the 7th or 8th best on the Red Sox last season, which is to say, a bit above league average. That's assuming he'd be able to get past his troubles with hitting at Fenway which he had his entire time with the ballclub.

stocker323
01-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I can tell. (about Mr. April....he hit above .300 in every month except April and August in '04)

I dunno, it seems as though almost every game that I saw him play in, he got some clutch hits. He was the Dbacks best and most consistent hitter through 2004, and is improving every year.

About the jabs at Theo - they were taken out of context, apparently (and I can't back this, I heard this somewhere a few years back) the interview was cut up just to rile up the fans and give the media a story.

And about him being hard to deal with - well, even the great Babe Ruth was an asshole.

Yeah he used to be my favorite player as well. Not exactly his off the field actions, but I always thought he worked hard on the field.

Zenny
01-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Hillenbrand wouldn't know what a walk was if it hit him in the jock strap. Bad player, bad guy. Never liked him.

YanksHater213
01-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Stockers brother named his hampster Shea. Then it died.

yeszir
01-05-2005, 07:02 PM
About shea: He was so completely and utterly overshadowed by Soriano that year it was kinda funny. And to think, some people actually thought he had the same potential as Sori. Sheesh.

YANKEESRULE
01-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Well I don't like the Sox of course. I'm Yankees all the way. I also have love for the Phillies. I'm from South Jersey so we pretty much follow Philly sports. I'm a huge Flyers and Eagles fan. I've always like the Yanks. It was funny I was living in Arkansas when the Phils went to the Series and all the Braves fans rooted for the Blue Jay's. It was great even though they lost. I hate the Braves just as much as the Sox. Its all in good fun anyway.

papi4prez
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
i like oakland... after reading moneyball i started rooting for billy beane... although im not sure what he's doing with their pitching staff right now.

Zenny
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
although im not sure what he's doing with their pitching staff right now.
He's assembling a fantastic collection of young arms. Harden is an ace in training. Haren, Meyer and Blanton were the three top pitching prospects from three different organizations (St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland respectively). Barry Zito is still around, but that's only because he's cheap. This is definitely his last season with the A's. Besides, both Hudson's and Mulder's peripheral stats are plummeting faster than a fat woman out of a helicopter (same goes with Zito, but again, he was the youngest and cheapest). That is not a normal indicator of continued success. Beane pulled the old "trade 'em one year too early instead of one year to late". The NL will give Mulder and Hudson a value boost this year, but their continued and prolonged success should be in question.

Their bullpen, however, is going to be simply amazing. Likely, the best in MLB. Dotel, Cruz, Calero, Garcia and Street are all fantastic power arms. Garcia and Street both have future closer written all over them.

elsrbueno
01-06-2005, 12:36 PM
He's assembling a fantastic collection of young arms. Harden is an ace in training. Haren, Meyer and Blanton were the three top pitching prospects from three different organizations (St. Louis, Atlanta and Oakland respectively). Barry Zito is still around, but that's only because he's cheap. This is definitely his last season with the A's. Besides, both Hudson's and Mulder's peripheral stats are plummeting faster than a fat woman out of a helicopter (same goes with Zito, but again, he was the youngest and cheapest). That is not a normal indicator of continued success. Beane pulled the old "trade 'em one year too early instead of one year to late". The NL will give Mulder and Hudson a value boost this year, but their continued and prolonged success should be in question.

Their bullpen, however, is going to be simply amazing. Likely, the best in MLB. Dotel, Cruz, Calero, Garcia and Street are all fantastic power arms. Garcia and Street both have future closer written all over them.

Here's a shocker:

I agree with Zenny. Beane knows what he's doing, and he's not afraid to rock the boat. Hudson and Mulder have both had health issues too, in addition to having downward career paths. All he got was one of the top lefthanded pitching prospects in the GAME (Meyer), a prospect who's ready to step in NOW (Haren), and 2 good young relievers (Cruz and Calero). Cruz can even start in a pinch.

Beane sold when stock in Hudson and Mulder was at its highest, and got some good talent in return. Controversial? Sure, but so was trading Nomar.....

Benny9Sox7
01-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I like TampaBay, Dont ask why cuz I dont know but theres just sumthing I like about underdogs

stevece80
01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I like the girls that work where you work. Too hot.

Sorry,

Hijack

TheHammerOfGod
01-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Well Im not a Sox fan so maybe i'm in the wrong thread but my favorite team besides the Yankees is the Angels. i also like the marlins....... i know! BLASPHEMY! coming from a Yankee fan :lol:

CrespoBlows
01-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Brewers, cause they have a cool stadium

YanksHater213
01-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Angels, D'Backs, Marlins

yeszir
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Angels, D'Backs, Marlins
Bandwagon much? :o

YanksHater213
01-24-2005, 11:58 AM
No. I like they simply for the fact that they have beaten the Yankees in the playoffs. If you classify that as bandwagon, then yes.

yeszir
01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
No. I like they simply for the fact that they have beaten the Yankees in the playoffs. If you classify that as bandwagon, then yes.
It was just that, prior to the sox, those were the 3 teams that had won the World Series. I guess beating the yankees makes sense, because the road to the world series usually runs through them.

YanksHater213
01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I also actually am a fan of the Marlins fo rizzle. Dontrelle Willis is my favorite player.

Yanksin2010
01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Yankees.

Radgeta
01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Overall: Minnesota Twins. Born in Minnesota and lived in the midwest couldn't be a Cubs fan because I don't believe in curses.

NL: Phillies even more now since they have Jim Thome.

Sizzlin22
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
The New York.... Mets. Grandpa died and left season tickets in the second row every year untill im like 70 (Yeah I know he was loaded) to my family msot of them go to the actual die hard mets fans in my family (yes those still exist 95% on my moms side of the family) but I usually end up going to shea liek 10 times a year for no cost its quality baseball. I saw Bonds* hit his 650th last year and im pumped for this year they are actually gonna be good. Im gonna make sure I get a few Pedro games in there get to see Beltran otughta be a good year for the mets.

Master Shake
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
yankees....just kidding

I started wondering if maybe there are people who like both the Red Sox and the Yankees. It seems a bit impossible, that's total baseball schizophrenia. My dad is a Yanks fan and I put on my Sox hat and shirt and his Yankees jacket and walked around saying "Look at me, I'm confuseeedd!!" :D

to answer the question: since I lived in houston for a short while I'll say the astros.

yeszir
01-27-2005, 07:35 PM
I started wondering if maybe there are people who like both the Red Sox and the Yankees. It seems a bit impossible, that's total baseball schizophrenia. My dad is a Yanks fan and I put on my Sox hat and shirt and his Yankees jacket and walked around saying "Look at me, I'm confuseeedd!!" :D

to answer the question: since I lived in houston for a short while I'll say the astros.
Welcome to the site. But never ever ever wear Yankees clothes again. <_<

Master Shake
01-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the site. But never ever ever wear Yankees clothes again. <_<

thanks and yes, sir :) believe me it's not something I make a habit of

Radgeta
01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Seattle Mariners, because i live here now.
After High school and college I want to move out there. Do you know like the cost of living?