PDA

View Full Version : Hideo Nomo

CalvnHobs6
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Sure, he had one of the worst seasons EVER recorded by a pitcher in 2004 (highest ERA of any pitcher in history with 15 decisions, an ERA of 8.25). But we're talking about a guy with ERA's of 3.39 and 3.09 the two previous years, recording a respectable record of 32-19. I'm surprised there's been ZERO talk about him this offseason, and that no one's offered him a David Wells-type contract based on his health. If he's healthy in '05 and can post an ERA of 4 in the AL or 3.5 in the NL, I'd say it'd be worth it. Thoughts on this maybe-washed up 36 year old?

Gertie
01-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't trust him. I still don't see how a pitcher can be good when he has trouble even seeing the entire strike zone.

Seriously, though, now that you bring it up, it's because his velocity literally dropped 10 MPH last year. He's not getting any younger, and has lost his control of the strike zone. I doubt he'd get offered much above the league minimum. Most pitchers decline rapidly once they're older than 35 or so (excluding the few obvious exceptions) and he's showing the signs already.

CalvnHobs6
01-06-2005, 11:48 PM
But in Nomo's case, it was more of a 1-year plummet than a decline.

YanksHater213
01-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I dont trust him but maybe if we signed him to a Wade Miller-type of a contract to take a chance on him. I dont think they will, but if they need to because of injury or whatnot that is the only scenario I can see them signing him.

elsrbueno
01-07-2005, 08:17 AM
I dont trust him but maybe if we signed him to a Wade Miller-type of a contract to take a chance on him. I dont think they will, but if they need to because of injury or whatnot that is the only scenario I can see them signing him.

Since the Sox already have 5 starters, I don't see them showing much interest in Nomo. However, I am surprised nobody's signed him to an incentive laden deal.

Nomo is in the same class as Jose Lima. Capable of being dominant, but terribly inconsistent. He'll probably get a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training and a chance to prove himself.

CalvnHobs6
01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I wasn't suggesting the Sox sign him, just expressing my surprise that no one had.

mtac288
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
i would take a chance on this unconsistant picture. But i thought he will be in a red sox uniform