PDA

View Full Version : Manny wants to defer his salary

roary
05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
To keep Pedro on the team, check it out:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1794348

Manny Ramirez appears to have improved his image from brooding "clubhouse cancer" to ultimate team player in Boston, willing to give up a generous portion of his salary for the sake of the Red Sox's future.

Ramirez told the Boston Herald that he would gladly defer part of his annual salary --$20 million a year on average -- so the Red Sox can afford to keep Pedro Martinez in Boston beyond this season.

In the offseason, Ramirez was placed on waivers, left unclaimed, and then would have been traded to Texas had Boston's attempt to acquire Alex Rodriguez not fallen through.

Now the Red Sox slugger is offering to take a pay cut so the team can spread the wealth to its ace.

"How long is [Pedro] planning to stay, three years?" Ramirez told the Herald. "I'll loan them a contract. Whatever they want. How much do they need? It's for Pedro."

Ramirez offered to loan about $5 million a year for the Red Sox to pay to Martinez, who called off contract negotiations last week and has said he will test free agency at the end of this season.

When asked after Sunday's game if he were joking, Ramirez reiterated his offer.

"I am serious," he told a reporter. "I want Pedro to stay. Pedro's the heart of the team. He's been here so long. I think it's going to be a sad moment to see him leave. That's why I said what I did. It's really no problem for me. Hey, how much money do I need?"

Ramirez told the Herald that he was also willing to defer money to keep Nomar Garciaparra in a Red Sox uniform.

Some members of the rival Yankees wouldn't be shocked to see Pedro sign elsewhere -- or even sign to play alongside them.

"I'm just glad that I don't get paid to make those decisions," Bernie Williams was quoted as saying in the New York Post. "He's one of the great pitchers of his generation and it'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year. ... It's hard for me to talk about Pedro, but I think he would want an opportunity to play for a team that wins."

Any loathing for Pedro the opponent would cease the minute he'd agree to be a Yankee.

"He's not the enemy, he just wears the jersey," closer Mariano Rivera told the Post.

yeszir
05-03-2004, 03:18 PM
I'd rather see him offer it for Nomar though. He's desperately trying to win over the fans you can see.

But don't you think this kind of singles Pedro out among all the other FA's, saying "you're the most important!"?

CalvnHobs6
05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Ahh, I was JUST about to post that.

All right, who are you, and what did you do to the real Manny?

Seriously, though, this is really a great thing. I dunno if it's just to help his public image or whatever, but it's a really good thing to do. Not too many would do the same.

yagmaster
05-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Wow you guys are too negative. I think this a cool thing for Manny to offer. It seems like he really enjoys being on the Sox and wats his friends to stay with him.

RedSox24
05-03-2004, 05:46 PM
i think that pedro is gettin a little older and has gotten injured every year recently. I think the 17.5 million we are paying him good be a good investment in some other players that will benefit the sox more

yeszir
05-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by RedSox24@May 3 2004, 06:46 PM
i think that pedro is gettin a little older and has gotten injured every year recently. I think the 17.5 million we are paying him good be a good investment in some other players that will benefit the sox more
welcome to the site. I bet you'll find a lot of people who share your opinion.

RedSox24
05-03-2004, 05:54 PM
who are some pitchers that are going to be free agents at the end of the year

Zenny
05-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by RedSox24@May 3 2004, 05:54 PM
who are some pitchers that are going to be free agents at the end of the year
Esteban Loaiza, Brad Radke, Freddy Garcia, Russ Ortiz, Odalis Perez (lefty), Kevin Millwood, Eric Milton (lefty), Kris Benson, Matt Morris

RedSox24
05-03-2004, 06:04 PM
and i think matt clement is also, but im not sure correct me if im wrong

yeszir
05-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Odalis Perez would be an amazing pickup. I remember last year when he flat our shocked everyone (or was it two years ago) with his amazing stuff. And clement is a free agent too, you aren't wrong. :D

RedSox24
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
i say we get em both 17 mil can get you a lot

Zenny
05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@May 3 2004, 06:09 PM
Odalis Perez would be an amazing pickup. I remember last year when he flat our shocked everyone (or was it two years ago) with his amazing stuff. And clement is a free agent too, you aren't wrong. :D
I'm more of an Eric Milton fan than Odalis Perez. Perez had a 5.00+ ERA on the road last season and a ~2.50 at Dodger Stadium. He'd get lit up like a Christmas Tree at Fenway. If Perez can duplicate the 3.25 road ERA he had in 2002, he'd probably be a great pick-up. If '02 was a fluke, I don't want him in a Sox uniform. Right now, Eric Milton is my favorite of them all.

yeszir
05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Urgh. Eric Milton. I've had some baaaaaad fantasy baseball experiences with him.

jarjar
05-03-2004, 10:45 PM
From what I read it is that Manny is willing to DEFER his salary, not reduce it, just take that $$$ at a later date.

Don't get me wrong, I like what he did but am I wrong? He won't lose any money in the long run?????

Zenny
05-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by yeszir@May 3 2004, 07:20 PM
Urgh. Eric Milton. I've had some baaaaaad fantasy baseball experiences with him.
Well, he was hurt last year and playing on turf for a groundball pitcher is never fun. He's going to come up big in Philly, get replaced in the rotation by Cole Hamels or Gavin Floyd next season and then he'll be our new left-handed starter.

yawkeyway
05-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Zenny+May 4 2004, 06:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Zenny @ May 4 2004, 06:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yeszir@May 3 2004, 07:20 PM
Urgh. Eric Milton. I&#39;ve had some baaaaaad fantasy baseball experiences with him.
Well, he was hurt last year and playing on turf for a groundball pitcher is never fun. He&#39;s going to come up big in Philly, get replaced in the rotation by Cole Hamels or Gavin Floyd next season and then he&#39;ll be our new left-handed starter. [/b][/quote]
I wouldn&#39;t be so sure of that. But I agree, he could do great things.

Anyway, as for manny deferring his salary. Everyone treats it as such a great and selfless act, but I dont see it as such. He just wants to win and is willing to be paid his countless millions later so his team has a shot to win. It would put the sox at a disadvantage later unless we can find some cheap players to work for peanuts for us.

RoyNHSox
05-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by yawkeyway@May 4 2004, 06:34 PM
Anyway, as for manny deferring his salary. Everyone treats it as such a great and selfless act, but I dont see it as such. He just wants to win and is willing to be paid his countless millions later so his team has a shot to win.
Well in theory it is a nice gesture and one that&#39;s never been done in baseball. The reason being is that the Player&#39;s Association would never allow such an arrangement. It would set precedents that the union wouldn&#39;t want to put forth. And I&#39;m sure Manny&#39;s agent Jeff Moorad would object to this as well.

TheFens
05-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by RoyNHSox+May 4 2004, 10:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RoyNHSox @ May 4 2004, 10:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yawkeyway@May 4 2004, 06:34 PM
Anyway, as for manny deferring his salary. Everyone treats it as such a great and selfless act, but I dont see it as such. He just wants to win and is willing to be paid his countless millions later so his team has a shot to win.
Well in theory it is a nice gesture and one that&#39;s never been done in baseball. The reason being is that the Player&#39;s Association would never allow such an arrangement. It would set precedents that the union wouldn&#39;t want to put forth. And I&#39;m sure Manny&#39;s agent Jeff Moorad would object to this as well. [/b][/quote]
Moorad would object because it would mean his money would get deffered too&#33; Lol. And yes, the evil MLBPAA would object to this, because they&#39;re money grubbing bastards and would not want their owners to expect them to take the 5 million over 5 years instead of 2. :angry:

They ruined A-Rod for us, they arent going to ruin our 2005 season&#33; Kudos to Millar for not being a part of it.

YanksHater213
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by RedSox24@May 3 2004, 06:04 PM
and i think matt clement is also, but im not sure correct me if im wrong
yes, clement is a FA after this year. i would like to see him here if pedro doesnt come back. he is having a breakout year with the cubbies

Tek04
05-05-2004, 07:49 PM
I would like to see one of the big 3 from A&#39;s come to boston. Preferably Hudson, but he is there best and he will stay with A&#39;s...I think there is a good shot that Zito could be coming to town...

roary
05-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Tek04@May 5 2004, 08:49 PM
I would like to see one of the big 3 from A&#39;s come to boston. Preferably Hudson, but he is there best and he will stay with A&#39;s...I think there is a good shot that Zito could be coming to town...
Zito has been struggling of late, we&#39;ll have to see how he pitches against NY tonight to see if we want him in town. And this is all assuming we lose Pedro you know. If Manny doesnt end up postponing his payment (which is what will most likely happen), then we have a shot at signing these other players still. This would just make it easier.