PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens

roary
05-03-2004, 07:50 PM
This guy is absolutely tearing it up down there in Houston. And I don't know what to think. Do you root for him now that he isnt a yankee anymore or what? He has a 1.95 ERA and just about 9 k/9ip. It's amazing.

We all thought he was up and retired, and he's pitching some of the best baseball in his career. Does the move "closer to home" have anything to do with it?

yeszir
05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
That 5-0 record down their is pretty impressive. But no, I can't bring myself to root for him. This is ROGER CLEMENS after all. The Benedict Arnold of baseball.

Plus, he looks like his skin is falling off in this picture: http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/3340.jpg

RedSox24
05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
F*** Clemens

CalvnHobs6
05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
I am ashamed to admit it, but I have never been able to root against Clemens (unless he's playing the Sox). I'm sorry, but I love the guy. Always have, always will. No matter what happened, what he did, leaving Boston, the awful things he said, I just can't hate him. So I'm naturally happy. And I think you should all be happy he's not pitching like this for the Yankees right now.

Benny9Sox7
05-03-2004, 09:41 PM
myself like Calvn cant find it to hate clemans.... only times i hated him was when the yanks played the sox or the yankees were in the playoffs/worldseries

Zenny
05-04-2004, 06:17 AM
Fuck Roger; fat, traitor, sister-loving redneck. He can make love to his bitch Andy Pettitte down there all he wants.

You know what? I hope we play the Astros in the World Series and we beat Roger's brains in in the final start of his career, at Fenway Park, to win the World Series. Talk about dramatic irony.

YanksHater213
05-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Zenny@May 4 2004, 06:17 AM
Fuck Roger; fat, traitor, sister-loving redneck.
this has no relevance, but if you wanna talk about fat people, talk about david wells

dirtdogman5
05-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I was at Roger's "supposed" last game which was Game 4 of the World Series last year and all the little-knowledged Marlins cheered him and crap. But not me. Me and my friend were booing the hell out of him.

Tek04
05-05-2004, 08:38 PM
I love clemens...turning his back on the evil empire was great....i hate him on the yankees...i love him on the astros :)

yeszir
05-05-2004, 09:32 PM
He just passed Carlton for second place on the all-time K list tonight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1796162

Impressive stuff, but he wont ever catch up with Nolan.

RoyNHSox
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Tek04@May 5 2004, 08:38 PM
I love clemens...turning his back on the evil empire was great....i hate him on the yankees...i love him on the astros :)
I agree with this, that when he joined the Astros and left the AL, I started liking him again. He's amazing this year, almost retired and now on track for winning the NL Cy. Despite what you might feel that he did or didn’t do for the Sox, this guy is a legend.

yawkeyway
05-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Hate him, love him, whatever. You can't deny what this guy is doing in Houston. Look at these stats:

year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA

2004 HOU 6 6 6 0 0 0 0 38.1 26 10 9 3 17 41 2.11 1.12 .193

YanksHater213
05-10-2004, 06:47 PM
how could you hate perhaps the best pitcher in boston baseball history

yeszir
05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
nice sig yankshater :D

YanksHater213
05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@May 10 2004, 06:49 PM

thanks for reminding me, hes at .186 now

roary
05-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by YanksHater213+May 10 2004, 07:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YanksHater213 @ May 10 2004, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yeszir@May 10 2004, 06:49 PM

thanks for reminding me, hes at .186 now [/b][/quote]
Oh no&#33; You&#39;re jinxing it&#33; .177 is much better&#33;

And as far as your question, it is understandable that people hate clemens. He goes to the YANKEES of all teams after pitching the best games of his career with the sox, and then he has the BALLS to say that he&#39;d boycott the induction ceremony if he were to go into the hall of fame as a Red Sock.

YanksHater213
05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by roary@May 10 2004, 06:52 PM

And as far as your question, it is understandable that people hate clemens. He goes to the YANKEES of all teams after pitching the best games of his career with the sox, and then he has the BALLS to say that he&#39;d boycott the induction ceremony if he were to go into the hall of fame as a Red Sock.
no it isnt, he is the best pitcher in boston history, red sox player, yankee, blue jay, or astro, he is still in my mind the best pitcher the Sox have ever had

yeszir
05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by YanksHater213+May 10 2004, 07:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YanksHater213 @ May 10 2004, 07:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-roary@May 10 2004, 06:52 PM

no it isnt, he is the best pitcher in boston history, red sox player, yankee, blue jay, or astro, he is still in my mind the best pitcher the Sox have ever had [/b][/quote]
It is understandable that people hate him to me as well. Just because sox fans hate him doesnt mean they dont appreciate him. Any fan worth his salt knows he was one of, if not the greatest pitcher we&#39;ve ever had. There&#39;s no denying that.

GreenMonsterSeats
05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Great to see Clemens doing so well and picking up the Astros a lot. He&#39;s a class act though he played for the Yankees I can forgive him though I am sure I will take some crap for that comment. Add another Cy Young...and hopefully an NLCS ring.

yawkeyway
05-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonsterSeats@May 10 2004, 07:56 PM
Add another Cy Young...and hopefully an NLCS ring.
Hope springs eternal I see... :D Very sly not saying WS ring, hoping that the sox get it eh? Yea, well, so do I. But if they were to make it to the WS and play a team from the NL central, I&#39;d rather it be the cubs personally.

GreenMonsterSeats
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
You are correct...don&#39;t want to jinx anything. I would love to see Roger add some more hardware and rub it in the Yankees faces. Too bad the AL East doesn&#39;t play the NL Central.

TheFens
05-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I don&#39;t know how I feel about Clemens. I can&#39;t argue with the stats, he&#39;s pitching amazingly, maybe the best of his career. I just can&#39;t get over the fact that, at one point in his career, he was a yankee&#33; Same with Wade Boggs&#33;

MFY&#33;

GrassInZimsTeeth
05-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Roger Clemens is a pure baseball player. He personifies what the game should be and how it should be played.

It happened a long time ago, but the fact remains that the morons in the front office at the time of his departure from Boston just didn&#39;t want him around anymore and all but forced him to walk out. I don&#39;t know what it was if he was too intense, too outspoken in the clubhouse, or if they really believed he was washed up. What ever it was they didn&#39;t make it hard for him to walk away.

Don&#39;t confuse this with the Mo Vaughn saga or even the current Pedro soap opera. While the media may have done it for him, Clemens never mentioned where he might go, much less threaten with the Yankees (again, unlike Pedro). Of course, people speculated he would return to Texas or go to NY. That&#39;s why it seemed like the Blue Jays came out of no where. He was then TRADED to the Yankees, at which point he had to surrender his lucky #21 because some hobo named Paul O&#39;Neil happened to have it. This is a guy who gave the scrub in Toronto a &#036;20,000 watch in appreciation for giving up the number two seasons prior. I think Clemens just wanted to be appreciated, or at least left alone so he could concentrate on playing. When he arrived in NY I think he eventually found that appreciation and grew to enjoy it coming from Torre and Pettitte and other guys like that.

Clemens is all about baseball, not his image as a player or where he may end up in the books. He plays his hart out and prepares ten times a hard as the next guy because he loves the game. He would have been content being mediocre but all the K&#39;s and wins just happened to be a side effect of his intensity. I believe he intended on retiring at the end of last season, but he went out with class by just playing the game and not needing a ticker-tape parade for every "last game" he played in every park like McGuire and Ripken did. That just piles on more respect in my eyes.

You take a good look at who Roger Clemens really is by looking at what he has said and done (not as interpreted by the media, especially the Boston media) and 10, 15, 20 years from now we&#39;ll be begging for anyone like him to come along.

roary
05-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by GrassInZimsTeeth@May 11 2004, 02:14 PM
It happened a long time ago, but the fact remains that the morons in the front office at the time of his departure from Boston just didn&#39;t want him around anymore and all but forced him to walk out. I don&#39;t know what it was if he was too intense, too outspoken in the clubhouse, or if they really believed he was washed up. What ever it was they didn&#39;t make it hard for him to walk away.

I recall Duquette proclaiming him as being "in the twilight of his career". Boy, was he EVER wrong. Judging from that quotation alone, I guess they really thought he was washed up. You don&#39;t give up a player of that calibre if you think he&#39;s too intense... intensity is a good thing&#33;

You take a good look at who Roger Clemens really is by looking at what he has said and done (not as interpreted by the media, especially the Boston media) and 10, 15, 20 years from now we&#39;ll be begging for anyone like him to come along.
Right. 20 years from now, we won&#39;t remember Clemens as a bad guy, even if he shuns Boston for the hall of fame. We&#39;ll remember him as one of the greatest sox pitchers ever (right up there with Pedro Martinez). I doubt that the sox will ever have as dominant of a pitcher as he was ever again.

Ted Williams HATED the media when he played here (not that I was alive then, but so I&#39;ve heard). He refused to speak and constantly blew up at them. We dont remember him as "Hot head williams" though. He&#39;s the greatest hitter who ever lived.