PDA

View Full Version : Pedro in the ninth... ?

FourZeroSix
04-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Hmmm... ?

This has been brought up in a few other discussions I've had about Pedro eventually switching to be a closer to extend his career. I honestly think he could be the greatest closer of all-time if he ever gave it a shot. He definitely has the mentality for it and has actually spoken of it before back when his future was uncertain after fraying his rotator cuff in 2001 season. It's obvious that Pedro isn't as durable as he once was looking at his IP, IP per start and CG's the last 7 seasons.

1997: 31 GS, 241.1 IP, 7.8 IP/GS, 13 CG
1998: 33 GS, 233.2 IP, 7.1 IP/GS, 3 CG
1999: 29 GS, 213.1 IP, 7.4 IP/GS, 5 CG
2000: 29 GS, 217.0 IP, 7.5 IP/GS, 7 CG
2001: 18 GS, 116.2 IP, 6.5 IP/GS, 1 CG
2002: 30 GS, 199.1 IP, 6.5 IP/GS, 2 CG
2003: 29 GS, 186.2 IP, 6.4 IP/GS, 3 CG

Pedro did throw more CG last season than he has since 2000 and also to his credit, his IP per GS is taken down a little by his 3 inning start after he just came off the DL against St. Louis and the last "start" of the year against Baltimore right before the postseason. Taking away those two "starts", Pedro averaged 6.7 innings per start, also would be his highest since 2000, not to mention his 2.22 ERA being best since 2000. I wonder though, how much longer Pedro will be effective as a STARTER? I think as long as he has the desire, he'll continue to post otherworldly numbers in ERA and WHIP, but eventually wont go 6 on a consistent basis. My guess at this point is maybe three more years? and I'm not mistaken, that is also how long Foulke's contract is. Maybe 4, not exactly sure. If they can hang onto Pedro a couple more years as a starter and let Foulke play out his contract, Pedro could be able to become the Sox closer in 2007. Even though he'd have to pitch two, three days in a row on occasion, he wouldn't have to save his heater for late inning situations. He could warm up and come out flairing his 93-95 mph fastball (assuming this ST stuff is just overblown.. :unsure: )..although he could probably still throw 90-91 the entire time, pitch his inning, game over. Seeing how dominant Pedro is over 6-7 innings, I can't imagine how stingy he would be at allowing runs if he only had to pitch 1 or 2. Like I said, if he has the desire to stay in the game, this would probably be the best way to extend it. Personally, I think it would be awesome to have Pedro come running out of the Pen with the crowd going crazy... GAMEOVER... just like Pedro the starter was in his prime. This obviously is down the road, but it's just a thought.

Pedro's career 2.58 ERA is already the 2nd best since 1945 and obviously the best among active pitchers (min: 1500 IP), can you imagine the dip it would take if it included a couple seasons of closing? YIKES. :D

yeszir
04-03-2004, 09:16 AM
13 CG in '97, i didnt know that! :blink:

But as for making him a closer, I doubt Pedro would accept that, even with declining startinf stuff. It seems to me that this ego is just way too big to only pitch one or two innings every other game or so. But if he wanted to do that, and took a pay cut (im not paying 17 mil for a closer!), he could very well be the best closer the game has ever seen, although he wouldnt be able to pitch long enough to truly earn the title.

dirtdogman5
04-03-2004, 09:51 AM
I don't like thinking about the idea right now, because I believe Pedro easily has a few more 20 wins-like seasons. Like yeszir said, if we can rap him up till 2008 then I say go for it if he's becoming a little more injury prone than he already is. The only thing I can think of that can make this a bad idea is the fact that he doesn't have a "closer" fastball, which he can still be dominant without. Just ask Keith Foulke.

FourZeroSix
04-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by dirtdogman5@Apr 3 2004, 09:51 AM
I don't like thinking about the idea right now, because I believe Pedro easily has a few more 20 wins-like seasons. Like yeszir said, if we can rap him up till 2008 then I say go for it if he's becoming a little more injury prone than he already is. The only thing I can think of that can make this a bad idea is the fact that he doesn't have a "closer" fastball, which he can still be dominant without. Just ask Keith Foulke.
He's also got a nasty change up. You can ask Keith Foulke about that too.

dirtdogman5
04-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by FourZeroSix+Apr 3 2004, 12:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FourZeroSix @ Apr 3 2004, 12:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dirtdogman5@Apr 3 2004, 09:51 AM
I don&#39;t like thinking about the idea right now, because I believe Pedro easily has a few more 20 wins-like seasons. Like yeszir said, if we can rap him up till 2008 then I say go for it if he&#39;s becoming a little more injury prone than he already is. The only thing I can think of that can make this a bad idea is the fact that he doesn&#39;t have a "closer" fastball, which he can still be dominant without. Just ask Keith Foulke.
He&#39;s also got a nasty change up. You can ask Keith Foulke about that too. [/b][/quote]
Yeah I&#39;m aware. His wide variety of nasty pitches is his trademark.