PDA

View Full Version : Tedy Bruschi suffers stroke

CalvnHobs6
02-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Bruschi in good condition after suffering mild stroke; expected to be released Friday

By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
February 17, 2005

BOSTON (AP) -- New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a mild stroke but is walking, talking and in good spirits, the team said Thursday.

Bruschi experienced temporary numbness, blurred vision and headaches Wednesday night and was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

``It has been determined that these symptoms were the results of a mild stroke,'' team spokesman Stacey James said. ``Tedy is in good condition and, as always, his spirits are high. He is walking and talking normally and stressed that he would like to thank everyone for keeping him and his family in their thoughts and prayers.''

The Patriots said Bruschi could be released as early as Friday.

``The outpouring of support has been overwhelming and the Bruschi family is very appreciative,'' James said.

A nine-year NFL veteran, Bruschi is the centerpiece of the Patriots defense that helped the team win three of the past four Super Bowls, including a 24-21 win over the Philadelphia Eagles on Feb. 6.

On Sunday, Bruschi played in his first Pro Bowl.

Bruschi, 31, was selected as the AFC's Defensive Player of the Week three times, including the first-round playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts. A second team Associated Press All-Pro selection, he ranked second on the team with 128 tackles and tied for second with three interceptions.

He had two fumble recoveries in the team's 20-3 playoff win over the Indianapolis Colts, and an interception in the Super Bowl.

He should be released soon, and according to channel 5 news tonight it's probably not career related. But I'm praying over here for a very speedy recovery. He's almost certainly my favorite pro athlete in any sport, definitely in football.

yeszir
02-17-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm glad to hear he's getting better. Best of luck to him. Although it's sad to hear that he may be forced into retirement, it's better to be safe than sorry. To experience a stroke at 31, or however old he is, is definitely scary. If he is indeed done with football, the patriots will be a very different team without him. He kinda symbolized what they were all about.

Oh, and calvnhobs ate sushi with him one time. Supposedly he's a really nice guy.

CalvnHobs6
02-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Damn right I did. It was awesome.

ahhchon
02-18-2005, 12:01 AM
nothing a better diet can't fix. he's rich enough, hire a full time cook to mix up some good healthy stuff. lose the beer, lose the junk, lose the fried and keep the excercise up. not only will that turn bruschi in a leaner meaner killing machine it'll keep him from getting a stroke ever again.

john

Gertie
02-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Hopefully it won't leave any impairment of any sort. We'll see how he recovers, though.

yeszir
02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
He was released from the hospital today, and appears to be greatly recovered:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/02/18/bruschi_leaves_hospital_after_mild_stroke/

DOrtiz4prez
02-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Is he gonna play next season?

I don't know about you guys but after seeing that tape of him before the superbowl with his 2 kids on the field. You know what I'm talking about? That was great and he seems like a really really great guy.

stocker323
02-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Is he gonna play next season?

I don't know about you guys but after seeing that tape of him before the superbowl with his 2 kids on the field. You know what I'm talking about? That was great and he seems like a really really great guy.

I think its too soon to tell whether he'll play next season. My gut thinks that he will play, because he is the type of guy who plays through anything, but I'm not a doctor and any type of stroke is much different than a broken bone, so I have no idea.

Yanksin2010
02-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I think its too soon to tell whether he'll play next season. My gut thinks that he will play, because he is the type of guy who plays through anything, but I'm not a doctor and any type of stroke is much different than a broken bone, so I have no idea.
How old is he?

stocker323
02-19-2005, 12:43 AM
How old is he?

He'll be 32 when the season starts.

CalvnHobs6
02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
A big problem is the rarity of having a stroke at such a young age. Someone on the news said this: It's like a car breaking down at 5,000 miles: you know there's something wrong.

Sizzlin22
02-20-2005, 01:16 PM
GOd I hope he's ok by far my favorite player in football he's a tough guy but if he decides to retire then it's for the best but god I hope he comes back.

CalvnHobs6
02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
A recent update:

Update: Though medical experts have said the fact Bruschi was walking out of the hospital roughly 48 hours after being admitted with blurred vision and partial paralysis was a very positive sign, the linebacker's playing future is very much up in the air, the Boston Herald reports.

Recommendation: "His leaving after two days is a very good sign," said Dr. Judith Hinchey, a neurologist at Caritas St. Elizabeth Medical Center. "But whether someone can go back to playing depends on where the damage occurred in the brain. I know of many athletes who've gone back." At this point there are a myriad of variables to sort through, including the exact cause of the stroke and the nature of any resulting brain damage. Bruschi, who entered the NFL in 1996, may decide that he has accomplished enough on the field and that he'd rather ensure his future off it by not pushing a return. Only time will tell, but our best goes out to the popular linebacker.

I bolded the most important part.

schillingouttheks
02-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him play, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire.

He's the type of guy, as a few people who have already said, that will play through anything and would do whatever he could for the Patriots if he was on his death bed.

Then again, think about this: 31 years old, just had a stroke at a rare age to have one, has 3 Superbowl rings, and has made good money. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, but I hope he doesn't. Bob Kraft will take care of him.

Should he leave, he will be a hard player to replace. He is the type of guy that will tell you, "Give me 2 million and I'll play for you." He makes football sound like less of a business. The guy has so much fucking heart towards us he doesn't care how much he gets paid as long as he has the privilege to play for us. It's things like these that really make me respect the guy he is, and he plays the game right. He keeps up the intensity, and is a team player and leader.

Whatever his decision, I will respect him. I wish him the best in the near and far future.

CalvnHobs6
02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I would love for him to keep playing - and I'm sure he wants to. But not if it could actually kill him.

yeszir
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
It keeps getting worse. Apparently he'll now be needing open heart surgery to repair a hole in his heart which may have been the cause of the stroke. :(

YanksHater213
03-16-2005, 06:28 PM
The hole is just a rumor. Michael Smith was just on Sportcenter and he said he is getting heart surgery but it is unclear what it is for at this point.

yeszir
03-16-2005, 07:45 PM
The hole is just a rumor. Michael Smith was just on Sportcenter and he said he is getting heart surgery but it is unclear what it is for at this point.
Hole or no hole, open heart surgery is never because of a minor problem.