PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies 2005

CalvnHobs6
05-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Here's my list of the should be must see movies of the summer (June-July-August) 2005:
Batman Begins (do I need to explain)
Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Angelina Jolie and a gun, enough said)
War of the Worlds (Cruise and Spielberg hooking up again, should be good)
Cinderella Man (not a big Crowe guy myself, but should be excellent)
Bewitched (Will Ferrell. Duh)
Charlie and the Chocolate Family (Johnny Depp. Duh)
Fantastic Four (Jessica Alba in a skin tight suit, enough said)
The Island (could be among the most interesting movies of the summer)
Wedding Crashers (the necessary formula summer comedy)
Hustle and Flow (could be the most underrated movie of the summer)
The Pink Panther (Steve Martin is brilliant)

Any comments, any others to add to the list?

CalvnHobs6
05-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Oh. And I saw Longest Yard last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's got the Sandler goof as usual, but there's a lot more. Probably Chris Rock's best movie performance, but there's nothing really to compare. And DEFINITELY should have gotten an R rating, the MPAA is so fucked up. So on a five star scale... I'll go ahead and give it three, but my expectations were low.

yeszir
05-29-2005, 12:47 PM
War of the worlds, mr and mrs smith, wedding crashers, and the pink panther (it looks terrible and martin could never compare to sellers in the role, but you have to see it because its a remake of a classic) are all ones that i want to see. Smith and War of the Worlds especially.

RedSoxRooter
05-29-2005, 01:32 PM
War of the Worlds is the only one I care about. But god damn Tom Cruise??? Speilberg needs to wake up and realise RedSoxRooter doesn't like Tom Cruise. But still, it can be pulled off. Not much like the original story or the '50s version, I'm curious. The previews don't show the "war machines" so that could be a good sign. Or bad. :(

YanksHater213
05-29-2005, 02:13 PM
I Saw the longest yard... twice and laughed my ass off... twice. GReat Movie. But yeah, War of the Worlds looks great, and so does Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Sox fan in Tex
05-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Probably looking forward to seeing Cinderella man the most, it's gotten some pretty good reviews and I generally like sports movies.

yeszir
05-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Probably looking forward to seeing Cinderella man the most, it's gotten some pretty good reviews and I generally like sports movies.
It looks sooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

schillingouttheks
05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not a fan of those "old time" sports movies.

CalvnHobs6
06-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Updates:
Cinderella Man - What you'd expect from a movie trying win a best picture Oscar. I mean it was good, but it was trying to hard to be. Plus, if you don't know how it's going to end by 10% of the way through, just castrate yourself. I'll give it 4/5 for quality, 2/5 for entertainment.
Mr and Mrs Smith - What you'd expect from a "summer blockbuster". It was hugely entertaining but overall pretty dumb. And the first 5 minutes were great, then there was a mad slow 30-45 minutes, then the rest was pretty good. I'll give it a 2.5/5 for quality, 4/5 for entertainment.

2 down, 9 to go.

Sizzlin22
06-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I still want to see Cinderella man how can that possibly be boring it's boxing I love boxing.

CalvnHobs6
06-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Update:
BATMAN BEGINS - Saw the midnight showing. Definitely the best Batman movie of them all. Bale is perfect for the part, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are simply awesome. The movie does a great job of tying everything together with (dare I say it) an actual plot that is really gripping. This seemed to be an overwhelmingly dark movie at times, but high quality movie with high quality entertainment.
4/5 quality, 5/5 entertainment. Simply a must-see.

See Red
06-15-2005, 04:06 AM
Updates:
Cinderella Man - What you'd expect from a movie trying win a best picture Oscar. I mean it was good, but it was trying to hard to be. Plus, if you don't know how it's going to end by 10% of the way through, just castrate yourself. I'll give it 4/5 for quality, 2/5 for entertainment.

I don't think that's any reason not to see a movie, though -- especially a movie based on an actual event. I've never seen any of the movie, already know how it ends, and still want to see it.

CalvnHobs6
06-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Update:
Apparently, with some company distributor merging and so on, Pink Panther has been delayed until I believe February. Movie probably just sucked so they're reshooting some of it, but they claim it's to market it better.

shortwavez
06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
i'm waiting to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just for curiosity and War of the Worlds. I liked Batman and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Angelina my sweet!!! I heard talk that War of the Worlds is more of a horror flick so they had to tone it down for that rating. It's supposed to be some scary stuff in there, that will freak people out..

Gambit
06-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Update:
BATMAN BEGINS - Saw the midnight showing. Definitely the best Batman movie of them all. Bale is perfect for the part, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are simply awesome. The movie does a great job of tying everything together with (dare I say it) an actual plot that is really gripping. This seemed to be an overwhelmingly dark movie at times, but high quality movie with high quality entertainment.
4/5 quality, 5/5 entertainment. Simply a must-see.
Dude, I was blown away by Batman. Fucking loved it. Bale's RAGE in his portrayal of Batman was just great... and I found myself saying to myself, "man, I can actually believe this" when I was watching the movie.

That's always been a problem with comic book movies - you were always like, "yeah, that's cool, but bullshit - I don't buy it... never happen". With this batman, I found myself actually believing a dude would/could do what he did.

Loved it.

Oh - and I actually really liked Cinderella Man - and I didn't want to see it at all, thought it looked really stupid... friend of mine dragged me... but ended up really liking it.

Matt

YanksHater213
06-29-2005, 09:05 AM
I saw Mr and Mrs Smith last night. I thought it was good. Angelina was pretty damn hot if you ask me...

yeszir
06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Mr and Mrs Smith was entertaining. Thats all I ask of movies really.

War of the Worlds is one that I really want to see.

YanksHater213
06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
War of the Worlds... me too. It looks pretty pimp if you ask me.

Gambit
07-02-2005, 01:31 AM
War of the Worlds... me too. It looks pretty pimp if you ask me.
I really liked it... the ending was a BIT too short for my taste... but overall, very good.

Matt

Sox fan in Tex
07-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Also just saw War of the Worlds, I was pretty excited about seeing it and thought it lived up to the hype... very good movie. They take out New York first and depend on Boston to save the world. ;)

YanksHater213
07-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Im going to see it tonight with Stocker... sounds like we made a good decision...

yeszir
07-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Also just saw War of the Worlds, I was pretty excited about seeing it and thought it lived up to the hype... very good movie. They take out New York first and depend on Boston to save the world. ;)
Yup. The entire movie is just one elaborate metaphor, showing that Boston is better than New York. :)

YanksHater213
07-02-2005, 09:37 PM
War of the Worlds was an amazing movie. I usually tend to like comedy movies more than action movies, but I was surprised. This one just blew me away, it was great.

stocker323
07-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah it was pretty good, except that the girl was annoying as hell. She sounded like she was such a little know it all, while she was only 10, and her voice was one of the worst ever.

schillingouttheks
07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
LOL Dakota Fanning won an award at MTV Movie Awards for like scariest performance or something for "Hide and Seek"

CalvnHobs6
07-05-2005, 12:15 AM
War of the Worlds was pretty sweet, but as someone already said, the ending was a little rushed, and something happened at the very end that definitely shouldn't have and didn't make sense (those who have seen the movie probablyknow what i'm talking about).

Youk Of The Nation
07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
LOL Dakota Fanning won an award at MTV Movie Awards for like scariest performance or something for "Hide and Seek"

Dakota Fanning has the distinction of having both the sissiest name and creepiest demeanor in Hollywood, things that should be mutually exclusive.