Weight: 190
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Drafted: 1st round, 2005
How Acquired: Draft
College: Oregon State
High School: Madras (OR)
ETA: 2008

Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005. He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

I like the Damon comparsion, but this guy is much faster then Damon.

CrespoBlows
07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Ellsbury went 0-2 in his debut with 2 BB's.

stocker323
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Where is he playing? I'm too lazy to look it up. Spinners?

Chitalian Stallion
07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah, i just saw him tonight, i forget how he did though, I mainly went because my teammates brother Zak Farkes plays for the Spinners as well. Also Gabe Kapler was there on a rehab stint tonight, he didn't do too well. He went 0-4 with two Ks and two weak pop ups, one that was dropped, later causing him to score a run.

riverside sluggers
07-20-2005, 10:10 PM
well remember that sox did place him on 15 day DL with a back strain--remember about how curt's first starter and closer appearances were in triple A, then he progressed with more playing time

schillingouttheks
07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Holy shit Chitalian Stallion....I have a teammate and his brother is Zak Farkes too...whoa what the fuck.

Chitalian Stallion
07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Which brother do u have?

CrespoBlows
07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Elsbury went 2-4 last night

Season Line: .296/.457/.481/.938 (7/2 BB/K Ratio) 6 SB's 2 XBH 1 HR 6 RBI's

schillingouttheks
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Which brother do u have?
Adam Farkes.

elsrbueno
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Jacoby went 1-5 last night and stole 2 more bases. He's up to 8 SBs in 8 games.

Nice! Good to get some speed in the system. Plus he doesn't strike out much, walks enough to get on base well over a .400 clip. For his first exposure to professional baseball, he's handling himself well.

CrespoBlows
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Jacoby went 1-5 last night and stole 2 more bases. He's up to 8 SBs in 8 games.

Nice! Good to get some speed in the system. Plus he doesn't strike out much, walks enough to get on base well over a .400 clip. For his first exposure to professional baseball, he's handling himself well.

We might see him in Greenville soon, if Corlesetti continues to hit (there's another Dustin Pedoria for you).

Chitalian Stallion
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
What are his stats so far like average, OBP, etc? 8 stolen bases in 8 games is impressive, hopefully he'll continue that thorugh the minor leageus and beyond.

schillingouttheks
07-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Stallion which brother of Zak's is your teammate? I have Adam Farkes.

CrespoBlows
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Stallion which brother of Zak's is your teammate? I have Adam Farkes.

Can we talk about Jacoby Ellsbury, I don't mean to sound like an asshole but you guys can AIM to talk about that.

schillingouttheks
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Fine....bitch.

Heh j/k will do.

Boogie
07-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Boy, I wish my Yankees were as smart in the draft as your guys' beloved Sox.

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Ellsbury went 1-5 with 2 strikeouts last night and had a stolen base.

Season Line: .257/.409/.400/.809 (8/5 K/BB Ratio) 1 HR 2 XBH's 9 SB

stocker323
07-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Ellsbury left last night's game with hamstring tightness.

Sox Fan on Cape
07-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Ellsbury left last night's game with hamstring tightness.
That doesn't sound good. Any status ?

yankeessuck013
07-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I found a great interview with ellsbury

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17038&pid=357432&st=0&#entry357432entry357432

CrespoBlows
07-28-2005, 07:58 PM
That doesn't sound good. Any status ?

He'll miss a few games.

Precautionary status.

Sox Fan on Cape
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
He'll miss a few games.

Precautionary status.
Thanks.

youkilis rules
07-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Jacoby's birthday is September 11...bad luck, no?

riverside sluggers
08-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Jacoby Ellsbury named Red Sox Minor Leagues Base Stealer of the Month: Ellsbury, whom the Sox selected 23rd overall in this year's draft, got his career off to a impressively swift start when he swiped nine bases in as many attempts for Lowell. Ellsbury hit .278 in 36 at-bats for the Spinners with one home run, seven RBI and 10 runs scored. He also drew eight walks while striking out just five times. Ellsbury's July totals are especially impressive considering he has not played since July 23 due to a sore left hamstring. Ellsbury, a 21-year-old out of Oregon State, is expected to return to the Spinners lineup this week.

mar_022
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
CF, compared to Damon (in a good way, not the traitor thing), has some wheels, solid D, and good OBP track record, a projected leadoff hitter

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/ellsbury-jacoby.htm

jsinger121
02-07-2006, 06:42 PM
still about 2 seasons away but showed tons of promise last yr in lowell. great speed. gets on-base. needs to develop more power.

TheRivernator
02-07-2006, 07:41 PM
still about 2 seasons away but showed tons of promise last yr in lowell. great speed. gets on-base. needs to develop more power.

good old LeLacheur Park out in the crack streets of Lowell. I hit a few out of that place in my day.....

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 06:21 PM
http://www.madraspioneer.com/images/2663.jpg

As Jacoby Ellsbury waited his turn behind the Fenway Park batting cage late last summer, he could almost see the ghosts, wearing old flannel uniforms, in the New England twilight.

It was Sept. 17, and he was aching all over. He had played baseball continuously for more than a year, leading Oregon State to the Pacific-10 Conference championship and into the College World Series, and had done well in a 35-game stint for the Class A Lowell (Mass.) Spinners.

When Lowell's season ended, he had one more mission before he could go back home. The Red Sox flew his family all the way from Madras and summoned him to take batting practice with the big club.

He had dressed in the same locker room as the Red Sox, in the same first-class gear the major league club wears.

It hit him when he stepped onto the field, between the Green Monster in left field and Pesky's Pole in right. It wasn't just his family watching.

"There were 10,000 people in the stands -- it was before a game with the A's," Ellsbury said Thursday during a workout break in Hillsboro. "Everybody was saying, 'Who's that?' 'He's the first-round draft pick.' There were a lot of eyes on me, and cameras flashing right when I was hitting."

And he could sense the ghosts.

"I got in the cage and I thought, 'Ooh,' he said. "Babe Ruth played here. Ted Williams played here. I'm standing at the same home plate that they did."

Then he proceeded to have the best batting practice of his life.

"If I get nervous, I bear down and focus more," Ellsbury said. "I was spraying the ball everywhere. I hit some into the bullpen in right field. I hit a few deep to right-center; it's a long way out there, and they went out easily." As he lashed the ball around the fabled old yard, the 22-year-old ballplayer from Madras, Ore., could feel it right down to his cleats: He belonged there.

Every time Jacoby Ellsbury's teachers back in Madras asked him the question, he always would say the same thing.

"I'd say I wanted to be a big league baseball player. They said to think of something more realistic. The other kids would laugh and say, 'Oh, Jacoby.' "

If they could see him now, they'd see Ellsbury on a flight out of Portland Sunday morning, headed for Fort Myers, Fla., and the Red Sox spring training camp. It's a month earlier than most of Boston's minor league players; the Red Sox are eager to see up close the kid they drafted in the first round, 23rd selection.

This is the beginning of the last leg of the biggest race of his life, and he doesn't know a whole lot about what to expect.

"I'm just going to soak it all in and ask a lot of questions," he said, "so I'll have that experience behind me."

But Ellsbury has prepared more than a set of questions. In December, he moved into the Beaverton home of Matt James, a former Portland State football player and noted athletic trainer, and has worked out religiously at Velocity Sports Performance, the center James runs near Hillsboro Stadium.

Ellsbury has worked to improve his excellent natural speed, his quickness, balance and agility. He deliberately has avoided adding much weight to his 6-foot-1, 190-pound frame.

He has done it as he has done most things in his life -- thoroughly. If Ellsbury was preparing for a sprint, he'd train for a decathlon.

"I've worked harder than I ever have to be ready for this," he said. "I don't think I'll make the major league team this year, to be realistic, but you never know. "I'm the kind of person who wants to be ready. Maybe somebody will get hurt, or maybe they will think I'm ready earlier. I've always set high goals for myself -- a lot of the times I don't reach those goals, but that's all right.

"I can always say I'm giving 100 percent to be ready to play. I may start out in high Class A in Wilmington, N.C. My short-term goal is to make it to Double A (Portland, Maine) by the end of the season."

The Red Sox aren't saying what their plans are. All they really know about Ellsbury is the detailed scouting they did on him to select him in the draft, and the 35 games he played for the Spinners.

"We're excited to get to know him better," says Ben Cherington, the Red Sox's director of player development. "He'll get a chance to play every day in center field. We don't know what level -- we'll sort that out in the spring. But he showed us the reasons we drafted him in Lowell. He controlled the strike zone really well, he had good speed on the bases. He still needs to get better at jumps on the ball, but that's the normal part of development.

"We certainly feel he has a bright major league future as a center fielder."

Ellsbury said he's already learned a ton about professional baseball in his short time in Lowell. He hit .317 with three doubles, five triples and a home run, all with the black maple 331/2-inch bat he now swings.

He stole 23 bases and was caught stealing just three times. He did what leadoff hitters do.

"You have to prepare more now," he said. "You have to mentally prepare your body for 160 games, and you know that there are guys shooting for your spot every day. You have to be mentally tough."

"But we had the best guys. It was like an all-star team. And it wasn't just U.S. players -- we had guys from Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Japan. So I had to get used to a language barrier."

Another thing he's had to get used to is having money.

He said his Oregon State teammates used to think of him as cheap, but the truth is he never had a whole lot of spending money in his first 21 years.

Now he does, but he disciplines his spending. He paid off his mother's house in Madras and bought her a new one, and one obvious sign that he now has a deep pocket is his teal-blue Cadillac Escalade EXT, with XM radio and all the trimmings.

But he still favors the same jeans he wore at OSU, along with simple black T-shirts and running shoes. The shoes, a pair of Nike Air Max 700s, are one of the benefits of signing with Nike.

Even though he's better off financially now, it's also true that beginning today, he's completely on his own. Success or failure is, essentially, in his hands.

He does not worry about how he will handle it, however, because he now has a clear picture of what he's chasing. He found it among the ghosts at Fenway Park last September.

"Being there," he said, "makes me that much hungrier to get back."

Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1139641525192850.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

ORS
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but there is a Jacoby Ellsbury thread. A newspaper pasting about him doesn't warrant it's own thread. Please try and cut down on the clutter.

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Ok mod... wait, you're not a MOD..lol....

ORS
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Tool.

yeszir
02-12-2006, 07:11 PM
So you want me to say it to you?

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 07:37 PM
So you want me to say it to you?
Don't abuse your power dude. :dunno:

yeszir
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't abuse your power dude. :dunno:
Don't insult people when they are just trying to help.

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Help? more like being nosy, but if that's the motto on talksox then I'll have to abide won't I?

ksushi
02-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you really are a tool.

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you really are a tool.
Hey Mr Administrator, wouldn't that be an insult? lmao

KeepTheFaith1229
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey Mr Administrator, wouldn't that be an insult? lmao

No, Yeszir said..

Were you trying to help anyone/anything? Hmm...

26 to 6
02-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I am a wee bit surprised he's still here.

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I am a wee bit surprised he's still here.
Who, me? In all respect, what have I done to deserve to get banned?

ClayBuchholzIsDaFuture
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Can we stay on topic now? This thread's about Ellsbury, let give the person who started this thread the respect he/she deserves.

example1
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Who CARES everyone! Geez. Let's talk some baseball.

Ellsbury, your thoughts?

yeszir
02-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Nothing. This is a dumb argument. Back on topic...

Sox Fan on Cape
02-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Who CARES everyone! Geez. Let's talk some baseball.

Ellsbury, your thoughts?
I think he did fine , for what is was. He's at least one, and probably two years away from the Sox ( that's the fast track ).

Cityofchampions33
02-16-2006, 08:26 PM
How would he and Crisp fit in the OF?

KeepTheFaith1229
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
How would he and Crisp fit in the OF?

Crisp moves to right? :dunno:

Or left if Manny is gone

jsinger121
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
crisp is more suited for left. he doesn't have the arm to play right in fenway

26 to 6
02-18-2006, 02:19 PM
But he certainly does have the range. I think it would be a waste to put him in left. But either way there is something wrong, if you put him in right, then you have a rightfielder without a good arm, if you put him in left, then you're wasting his abilities. But I guess that deciscion will be made when the time comes, depending on who the other outfielder is.

ksushi
02-18-2006, 02:40 PM
If Jacobi has an arm, playing him in right might not be out of the question. No need to rush him, he could prove to be valuable trade bait too.

KeepTheFaith1229
02-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Someone on YES said Damon has a better arm than Crisp. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to piss myself.

jsinger121
02-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Someone on YES said Damon has a better arm than Crisp. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to piss myself.

they are about the same.....typical yes overplaying johnny damons arm.

CrespoBlows
02-18-2006, 06:56 PM
If Jacobi has an arm, playing him in right might not be out of the question. No need to rush him, he could prove to be valuable trade bait too.

Ellsbury has a ton of range, but he lacks the arm to play RF. I guess he could play there though, but the Red Sox would have to get their power elsewhere on the diamond.

ksushi
02-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Power in the lineup has nothing to do with position. That is one of the old school things that I really disagree with. I mean, typically, I go with the old school flow, but not about that. I think there are some positions where you can sacrifice some grace in the field for some pop with the bat, but I don't think there is any proven baseball stategy in having power hitting 1st basemen and right fielders and what have you.

1st base is actually a key defensive position, you've got to have a steady reciever who can mop up throwing errors. Rightfield, especially at fenway, is also key. You need to have a range guy and a guy who can play that wall and corner well.

There are positions where defense takes priority, like SS and CF, but I don't think there are positions where offense necessarily does. You've got to have power in the 3-hole and the 4 hole with a competent guy who can slot in fifth and provide protection, what positions they play doesn't matter.

ORS
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Power in the lineup has nothing to do with position. That is one of the old school things that I really disagree with. I mean, typically, I go with the old school flow, but not about that. I think there are some positions where you can sacrifice some grace in the field for some pop with the bat, but I don't think there is any proven baseball stategy in having power hitting 1st basemen and right fielders and what have you.

1st base is actually a key defensive position, you've got to have a steady reciever who can mop up throwing errors. Rightfield, especially at fenway, is also key. You need to have a range guy and a guy who can play that wall and corner well.

There are positions where defense takes priority, like SS and CF, but I don't think there are positions where offense necessarily does. You've got to have power in the 3-hole and the 4 hole with a competent guy who can slot in fifth and provide protection, what positions they play doesn't matter.
Actually, sticking power at the corners and paying attention to the defensive spectrum is new-school. Bill James came up with the defensive spectrum and the idea that it was more advantageous to put great offensive players on the easier end of the spectrum.

example1
02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Actually, sticking power at the corners and paying attention to the defensive spectrum is new-school. Bill James came up with the defensive spectrum and the idea that it was more advantageous to put great offensive players on the easier end of the spectrum.

Can you elaborate a little bit here? I think I tend to agree with Ksushi (and I think you do too, ORS, in general) so I'm wondering what you mean by defensive spectrum. It makes little difference to me whether or not the 130 RBI's comes from my 3B or from my 2B, or from my CF. I thought part of the moneyball philosophy is to recreate the aggrigate production lost in any potential move (i.e., replacing Damon is only acceptable if it is possible to replace the aggrigate value--in, say, runs created, or OBP, or whatever your guiding philosophy is--with someone else, or a combination of players). That seems new school-ish to me, but I don't remember James (in any of his baseball handbooks) saying that having power in the corners is preferable to power anywhere else. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

Does it have something to do with relative scarcity of power in any particular position? Fill us in.

ORS
02-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I really wasn't clear there, sorry. Here's the spectrum:

DH - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C

There is an abundance of offensive talent capable of playing the left end of the spectrum, but as you move to the right the talent becomes more and more scarce. I agree with you and ksushi that it doesn't matter where the power comes from, but when you have below average power on the left end of the spectrum, it will that much harder to replace it as you find players for the positions on the right. So, yeah, I was really referring to the scarcity of middle in the field talent.

example1
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I really wasn't clear there, sorry. Here's the spectrum:

DH - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS - C

There is an abundance of offensive talent capable of playing the left end of the spectrum, but as you move to the right the talent becomes more and more scarce. I agree with you and ksushi that it doesn't matter where the power comes from, but when you have below average power on the left end of the spectrum, it will that much harder to replace it as you find players for the positions on the right. So, yeah, I was really referring to the scarcity of middle in the field talent.

Nice. Very clear explanation, thanks.

What the hell do you think is with that spectrum? What do you think that means? I mean, it makes perfect sense, and SEEMS right, as far as the relative scarcity of power in those positions and it probably plays out statistically as well (if bill James put his stamp on it). But does that mean that historically athletes who are good power hitters tend to lack the other skills to play positions that require more speed and finely tuned skills such as fielding, accurate throws and speed? Or are they encouraged early on to focus more on their hitting than their fielding, compared to someone with more mediocre hitting skills who would be encouraged to work on bolstering their defensive skills? I'm not sure. Its a weird thing.

I just wonder why it works out that way over the long run.

26 to 6
02-19-2006, 09:22 PM
they are about the same.....typical yes overplaying johnny damons arm.
Actually, Yankee people, and YES included have not gone easy on Damon's arm. To say that Damonsis better than Coco's os absurd, btu saying that Coco's is better than Damons isnt much better either.

idk if he came up with that theory per se, btu he definately promoted and agreed with it. Thats always been a baseball philosophy for the most part.

example1
03-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Just thought I would add this little quib:

"Last year's top pick, center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, made the play of the day in the minor league game. David Murphy launched a Schilling changeup to the base of the wall in right-center, and Ellsbury, on a dead run, dived, reeled in the ball in midair, and hit the warning track, sending up a plume of dust as he rolled into the wall. ''That was a fantastic catch," Schilling said. ''To someone who's as terrifically slow as I am, he looked even faster." Later, Ellsbury reached on a bunt single against Tim Wakefield, even though Wakefield knew Ellsbury would be bunting. The reason: He jammed his wrist late last season, and the Sox have brought him along slowly this year. Ellsbury, the former Oregon State star, is hitting in a cage and soon should progress to taking cuts in games."

I'm psyched to see this guy play, but I think it will take until next spring and a lucky long-distance NESN preseason broadcast.

FWIW, Ellsbury is still in the EA Sports game NCAA Baseball 06, playing CF for Oregon State. He's one of the best in the game. Just a side-note.

Cityofchampions33
03-17-2006, 11:01 AM
He is? What is it? Like last year rosters? lol

example1
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
He is? What is it? Like last year rosters? lol

Yeah, I don't get it either but he's definitely there. I don't think Hansen is on St. Johns though, so they probably just created all of last year's Juniors.

26 to 6
03-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either but he's definitely there. I don't think Hansen is on St. Johns though, so they probably just created all of last year's Juniors.
Hansen is on St. Johns

Cityofchampions33
03-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Wow, that's crazy, I guess it's because it's the first year college was put into it.

example1
03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Hansen is on St. Johns

Really? He's not nearly as dominant ratings-wise as Ellsbury, I guess, cause I looked for him and nobody stood out specifically.

jsinger121
04-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Ellsbury on opening day went 2-4, 3B, 2R, RBI, K

ORS
04-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Big day for Jacoby today.

4/6, 2B, HR, 2 RBI

Season (4 games): .421/.421/.737/1.158, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 0/4 BB/K

Beckett95
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury was placed on Single-A Wilmington's DL with a right quad injury sustained Wednesday.

jsinger121
05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury and Jed Lowrie are both another a week or so away. They’re in Wilmington getting treatment, but aren’t 100 percent yet.

youkilis rules
05-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Ellsbury is nearing a promotion.

jsinger121
05-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Ellsbury is nearing a promotion.

Not til probably Late June early July.

CrespoBlows
05-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Year to date stats

Wilmington (A+) .341/.417/.516/.933 (BA/OBP/SLG/OPS) 9/12 (BB/K)

3 2B's 2 3B's 3 HR's 12 SB 2 CS

Projected stats (500 AB's)

.341/.417/.516/.933 50/66 (BB/K)

171 H's 17 2B 11 3B 17 HR's 66 SB's 11 CS

Cityofchampions33
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
17 HRs from him would be pretty good

Beckett95
05-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Projected stats (500 AB's)

.341/.417/.516/.933 50/66 (BB/K)

171 H's 17 2B 11 3B 17 HR's 66 SB's 11 CS

that would be a GREAT year, if he can continue doing that

DUSTINMOHR4LIFE
06-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I love this guy. His OBP is still over .400, i think, and he has the best speed in the system. That's the perfect blend for a leadoff hitter.

jsinger121
06-24-2006, 01:51 AM
He's likely to be in Portland sometime this year. Most likely after the Carolina League Allstar game.

jsinger121
07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
4 Stolen Bases tonight for Ellsbury against Salem

example1
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Wow. That's quite Un-Red Soxish.

a700hitter
07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Wow. That's quite Un-Red Soxish.I'll go on record right now and predict that he will never accomplish this feat for the Red Sox.

schillingouttheks
07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I'll go on record right now and predict that he will never accomplish this feat for the Red Sox.
I will side with you on that one.

SuperManny
07-04-2006, 12:05 AM
I'll go on record right now and predict that he will never accomplish this feat for the Red Sox.
While its not likely, I think he will have at least a couple games with 3 and may even get 4 when he's with the Sox. He projects to be a leadoff hitter (lots of AB's), has a good eye (on base a lot), and has a great SB% (Sox will let him run). I don't think the Sox are against SB's in general but don't feel its worth the risk unless they have someone who can steal at a great rate. Dave Roberts sure had the green light a couple times in 2004.

a700hitter
07-04-2006, 12:13 AM
While its not likely, I think he will have at least a couple games with 3 and may even get 4 when he's with the Sox. He projects to be a leadoff hitter (lots of AB's), has a good eye (on base a lot), and has a great SB% (Sox will let him run). I don't think the Sox are against SB's in general but don't feel its worth the risk unless they have someone who can steal at a great rate. Dave Roberts sure had the green light a couple times in 2004.I just can't remember if I have ever seen anyone steal 4 in a game for the Sox...not Harper, Nixon, Remy, Damon. I could be wrong, but if I am it is certainly a very rare occurrence.

ksushi
07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Well, the philosophy of the team is changing. The Sox have never been a team predicated on defense either.

jsinger121
07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury was promoted to Portland today.

BoSox34
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Nice to see him continue to progress, he was very good at Lowell last season and he has the potential to be a solid MLB outfielder.

NateGrey
07-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Went 6/2 in todays double header vs Connecticut ..

.300 B.A

example1
07-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Updated Ellsbury (Portland) stats:

10 G, 40 AB, 6 R, 14 H, 5 RBI, 6 SB, .381 OBP, .425 SLG, .350 AVG (.906 OPS)

(I reiterate: 6 SBs in 10 games)(when did the sox draft Jose Reyes :) )

Cityofchampions33
07-23-2006, 03:24 PM
The fastest in his draft class showin the speed

jsinger121
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Ellsbury fouled a pitch off his foot on Tuesday's game and was not in the lineup on Wednesday. He should be back in tonight's lineup for Portland.

riverside sluggers
08-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Boston Globe

A Sox official has noted there is an outside chance that Ellsbury could make his major league debut as soon as next year

Coco's Disciples
08-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Next year? I want this year! Youth movement, guys! Start Bowden every game!

Mr Crunchy
08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
they may as well promote him up the ladder when they go to the 40 man roster
it doesnt matter from a competetive standpoint

DUSTINMOHR4LIFE
08-26-2006, 11:26 PM
ellsbury will participate in the Arizona Fall League

riverside sluggers
09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury went 2-for-3 with a homer and a walk Monday on the final day of Double-A Portland's season.
Playing in a better environment for hitters, Ellsbury was able to improve his numbers a bit after moving up from Single-A Wilmington, hitting .308/.387/.434 in the Eastern League. He's not supposed to be called up this month, but he'll continue to play for now, as Portland clinched a playoff spot Sunday.

Just was thinking since Ellsbury continues to climb up the ladder fast, the Sox really just need a stop gap center fielder for 2007 really. Thoughts on Sox keeping Coco around for 2007 or signing Jim Edmonds to like a 2 year deal? Hey Id like Andruw Jones or Vernon Wells too. But especially Toronto, both teams will want more than a package of Crisp, Hansen, and Delcarmen. Bet anything this oiffseason teams will be asking for Ellsbury, Bucholz, or Bowden

SchillingIsTheNatural
09-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Just was thinking since Ellsbury continues to climb up the ladder fast, the Sox really just need a stop gap center fielder for 2007 really. Thoughts on Sox keeping Coco around for 2007 or signing Jim Edmonds to like a 2 year deal? Hey Id like Andruw Jones or Vernon Wells too. But especially Toronto, both teams will want more than a package of Crisp, Hansen, and Delcarmen. Bet anything this oiffseason teams will be asking for Ellsbury, Bucholz, or Bowden

I think Andruw Jones is a free agent after next season. That would be a great stop-gap. Red Sox might be able to come to a better agreement in the offseason like they did last year.

Cityofchampions33
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, we definately at elast one more power hitter, a good RF would be the perfect medicine for us, with uncertainty in Pena, and Nixon going out.

ORS
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Portland finally played today. Game's still on.....

4/5, 3 doubles......with more to come......

Coco's hearing foot-steps.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Damn Ellsbury, me like

a700hitter
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Coco's hearing foot-steps.He's an impressive talent.

BruinsFan
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Maybe this will get him going...
You never know. Nothing like fighting for your job.

jacksonianmarch
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

uh oh. Why is Ells at AA?

ORS
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't know why, but the FO wanted to start him there. My guess is to send a "not this year" message, but if he keeps playing this kind of ball, they can't ignore it.

He finished 4/6, 3 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 SB.

riverside sluggers
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
uh oh. Why is Ells at AA?

What uh oh? Is that supposed to make it sound bad for Sox fans? Doubtful anyway he's going to be playing in Portland the whole season, call me shocked if he isnt called up by September

mrsoxprospect
04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
What uh oh? Is that supposed to make it sound bad for Sox fans? Doubtful anyway he's going to be playing in Portland the whole season, call me shocked if he isnt called up by September

There is absolutely no chance he is going to be in Portland the whole season. He likely won't be there 2 months if he continues hitting like this. His next stop is Pawtucket and that will be in 2007.

example1
04-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I feel like Ellsbury could be the type of player the Sox need on this team. I think he is a better leadoff hitter than Lugo, he would bump either Youkilis or Lugo back in the order and could make crisp a late-inning speed replacement and another guy who can play all three positions in the outfield as needed.

I know there are a TON of arguments against it, but this team is missing that spark near the top (as much as I like what Lugo has provided so far).

TheKilo
04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I feel like Ellsbury could be the type of player the Sox need on this team. I think he is a better leadoff hitter than Lugo, he would bump either Youkilis or Lugo back in the order and could make crisp a late-inning speed replacement and another guy who can play all three positions in the outfield as needed.

I know there are a TON of arguments against it, but this team is missing that spark near the top (as much as I like what Lugo has provided so far).

Make Crisp a late inning speed replacement?

I know Crisp hasn't had a great start, but this line of thinking will only get the Sox in trouble.

Don't rush Jacoby. Give WMP some ABs if you don't want Coco in the lineup.

example1
04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Make Crisp a late inning speed replacement?

I know Crisp hasn't had a great start, but this line of thinking will only get the Sox in trouble.

Don't rush Jacoby. Give WMP some ABs if you don't want Coco in the lineup.

I wasn't saying that he should only be that late inning speed replacement. That's something he certainly offers though. He's a switch hitter who can play all three positions and gives the lineup tremendous versitility.

I also wouldn't rush Jacoby if given the choice, but at what point do you keep a tremendous athelete who CAN hit MLB pitching from doing so?

riverside sluggers
04-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Still 3 years/$15.5 million for a backup outfielder? Whose to say he would be all for becoming a player on the bench? Articles I read about him this spring, he seems like he's getting egged on. His best asset would be trade bait to a team that would give him an everyday starting gig. Both sides then would be happy

TheKilo
04-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Only trade Crisp if you get reliable bullpen help in return.

I'd like to see WMP get come playing time though. I do think Crisp can turn it around.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 07:59 AM
after being in enemy territory for the weekend, it seems apparent that the home fan base doesnt really like Coco right now. Once the fan base turns on you, it takes something miraculous to get them off your back. Like a walkoff grand slam :)

Mr Crunchy
04-10-2007, 08:58 AM
after being in enemy territory for the weekend, it seems apparent that the home fan base doesnt really like Coco right now. Once the fan base turns on you, it takes something miraculous to get them off your back. Like a walkoff grand slam :)

did you take your wife away for the weekend?

ORS
04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Like a walkoff grand slam :)
Oh, let's not pretend that this will endear him to those fans. It's April. He's built a little credit, but he K's there after the break, then it will continue.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
did you take your wife away for the weekend?

nah, she was interviewing for jobs out in Mass, so we were all along I-90 for the weekend. I got home just in time for start of that game.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh, let's not pretend that this will endear him to those fans. It's April. He's built a little credit, but he K's there after the break, then it will continue.

he has built a little credit. To this point, he looks like he wants it, he has life to him and thus far he has been our best hitter in the clutch (that isnt on the DL). Couldnt ask anything more from him right now.

MANNYHOF24
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I wasn't saying that he should only be that late inning speed replacement. That's something he certainly offers though. He's a switch hitter who can play all three positions and gives the lineup tremendous versitility.

I also wouldn't rush Jacoby if given the choice, but at what point do you keep a tremendous athelete who CAN hit MLB pitching from doing so?

Why are you so sure that he can hit MLB consistently right now?

example1
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Are you sure he couldn't? He looked pretty solid in spring training, is a tremendous athelete and if he played on a different team (say Washington or Pittsburgh) he would be playing every day. He's been one of the best players are every level and certainly is one of the best players at his age.

jacksonianmarch
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Ellsbury 0 for 3 with a walk today.

example1
04-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Ellsbury: 3 for 6 with 3 R, 1 SB, 1 BB.

Hit his 5th double of the season. In the 8th he stole 2nd, claimed 3rd on an overthrow and scored on a second overthrow.

example1
04-13-2007, 03:17 AM

If this team is plodding along at .530 or so throughout the season I would be in favor of bringing Jacoby up if he's playing like he has been (or even to his career averages).

This guy is 3 months older than Hanley Ramirez.

riverside sluggers
04-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Ellsbury: 3 for 6 with 3 R, 1 SB, 1 BB.

Hit his 5th double of the season. In the 8th he stole 2nd, claimed 3rd on an overthrow and scored on a second overthrow.

Coco's hearin some footsteps

jacksonianmarch
04-13-2007, 07:13 AM
why is he still in AA?

example1
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
why is he still in AA?

My guess is that the AAA OF is filled with the likes of Moss and Murphy and Ochoa etc.,

I think the sox really use their AAA as a holding pen for MLB established sub-quality guys and older prospects. They use AA as the place where a lot of development takes place (watch, tomorrow they'll send Ellsbury to AAA! :lol: ).

ORS
04-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I've heard it opined elsewhere, and this makes some sense, that they want to keep Muphy in CF at AAA in order to showcase him for a future trade. The caveat being, that in order for this to pan out Murphy needs to perform, which hasn't been the case thus far.

jacksonianmarch
04-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I've heard it opined elsewhere, and this makes some sense, that they want to keep Muphy in CF at AAA in order to showcase him for a future trade. The caveat being, that in order for this to pan out Murphy needs to perform, which hasn't been the case thus far.

sounds like a good plan. It really is too bad that they cannot slide Pena to AAA and bring Murphy up to Boston. Murphy could really be a very solid 4th OFer.

BSN07
04-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Ya its all you damn Yankees fault Jacko!

ORS
04-14-2007, 05:33 PM
DH vs. Binghamton today

Game 1: 1-4, 1 2B (6 on the year)
Game 2: 1-4, 1 R, 1 SB (3 on the year)

a700hitter
04-14-2007, 05:40 PM
What are his cumulative stats?

CrespoBlows
04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
.393/.433/.607/1.040

6 2B, 2 SB, 2 BB, 2 K's

ORS
04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
3 SB, 0 CS

Anuj09
04-15-2007, 12:36 AM
He reminds me a lot of a Scott Podsednick with a tad bit more power but not much

CrespoBlows
04-15-2007, 12:24 PM
He reminds me a lot of a Scott Podsednick with a tad bit more power but not much

Why?

Podsednik minor and major league numbers:

.265/.344/.347/.691 (minor)

.275/.342/.378/.720 (major)

Jacoby Ellsbury

.306/.391/.427/.818

TheKilo
04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Why?

Podsednik minor and major league numbers:

.265/.344/.347/.691 (minor)

.275/.342/.378/.720 (major)

Jacoby Ellsbury

.306/.391/.427/.818

I was just going to say....if he projects to be Scott Podsednik, we're in trouble.

ksushi
04-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Ellsbury has more raw talent that Podsednik.

Anuj09
04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
true my bad i was under the impression that he was a guy who hit .300. guess not (Podsednik i mean)

NateGrey
04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
vs New Hampshire(4/27/07)

4/4 , 2r , sb , .468avg

adam123
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
ellsbury cant wait to see him next year in center .

jacksonianmarch
05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
who can't Ellsbury wait to meet in CF next yr? Coco?

MANNYHOF24
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
ellsbury cant wait to see him next year in center .

What the hell does this mean?

riverside sluggers
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
The more I think about it "Example", I like the idea about Coco as the team's 4th OF when Ellsbury someday takes over

Rdsxmbnt
05-02-2007, 05:18 PM
he obviously meant "Ellsbury, I cant wait to see him next year."

adam123
05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
The more I think about it "Example", I like the idea about Coco as the team's 4th OF when Ellsbury someday takes over

I really dont think he will go for that .

example1
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I really dont think he will go for that .

What's he going to do, grab a gun and start shooting people? Seriously, I don't understand why people make this argument. Coco Crisp is a good OF. He can play all 3 positions, can run for speed, has occasional power (if I wasn't lazy I would emphasize occasional) and is a switch hitter.

I think as long as he's under contract he WILL go for it because he won't have a choice. More likely than not it would be almost a reverse Pedroia situation, where they would 'give' Crisp the starting spot and have Ellsbury fill in occasionally a la Cora. Crisp may be confronted with a choice: start on a crappy team and value playing time more than winning, or play on a potentially WS winning team where 4 OFs play regularly but Crisp is the super-sub.

If I had a multi million dollar contract and someone said, "You know, we'd rather you just sit here... but we'll still pay you" I wouldn't complain about it. It isn't like Crisp needs to "prove himself" so some other team will give him a multi-million dollar contract. If he were a FA next year or the year after, even as a bench player, he would get a multi-million dollar contract simply because of the facts I listed above: switch hitting, speedy, versitile OFs are a commodity in this league. He'll be fine. And it's not like he is going to get Carlos Beltran money even if he starts every single game.

I'm still a fan of Crisp as the 4th and possibly moving WMP.

Anuj09
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
i hope they give Ellsbury some AAA time - look at Gordon hes really sucking because i think he was rushed.

mosox
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
i agree, I hope we don't see him at Fenway until September at the earliest. Let him hit AAA pitching all summer.

adam123
05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
This is a good sign. Looks like we will be seing him sooner than expected

TheKilo
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Since no one posted it officially:

Ellsbury to Pawtucket
By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff

He's moving on up.

Red Sox outfield prospect Jacoby Ellsbury was promoted to the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox from the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs, and will start in center field for the PawSox tonight, according to the PawSox website. The PawSox host the Indianapolis Indians at 7:05 p.m. at McCoy Stadium.

Last night, in the Sea Dogs' 7-3 loss to Bowie, Ellsbury extended his hitting streak to 15 games, going 2 for 4, scoring twice, and stealing his eighth base of the season.

Ellsbury's .452 average is the highest in the minor leagues. And while he has yet to hit a home run, he had still managed to post a .653 slugging percentage to go along with a .512 on-base percentage.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/05/ellsbury_to_paw.html

riverside sluggers
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Didnt even hear about it, thanks for the heads up Kilo :) It was only a matter of time

per soxprospects.com, Kerry Robinson was released to make room

http://www.pawsox.com/files/1.1178287134.jpg

TedWilliams101
05-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I can't wait to see Ellsbury playing CF for the sox. I've been really impressed with what I have seen from him thus far.

Anuj09
05-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking if Drew/WMP/ Coco gets injured any time soon then you call up Moss Ochoa or Murphy before Ellsbury

riverside sluggers
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Ellsbury tonight went 1 for 4, 2 Walks, 2 Runs

TGov
05-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking if Drew/WMP/ Coco gets injured any time soon then you call up Moss Ochoa or Murphy before Ellsbury

Either of those two or Moss before Ellsbury, I would hate to see Ellsbury get rested for no reason and be ruined...

a700hitter
05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Either of those two or Moss before Ellsbury, I would hate to see Ellsbury get rested for no reason and be ruined...Why would being on the bench as a 4th OF ruin him? He would benefit from learning the league, and observing succesful major leaguers work habits etc. The kid is a big talent. He deserves to make it to the majors before the others. Moss can't be the 4th OF, because he is not a good fielder. He's below average. For a fourth OF, fielding ability is more important than hitting.

Anuj09
05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
So he would be like an Adam Stern type guy for a while (someone who comes in to run and comes in late in the game for some quality D) ?

a700hitter
05-05-2007, 02:06 PM
So he would be like an Adam Stern type guy for a while (someone who comes in to run and comes in late in the game for some quality D) ?No, he has quite a bit more offensive talent than Stern. He could get some starts if Crisp slumps or if one of the other OFs get injured. Right now, there is no need for an additional OF er. I was discussing it in the context of a need for a 4th OFer. If we need to call one up, it should be Ellsbury. I realize that there are roster considerations, so they may not want to place him on the 40 man roster, because they would have to drop someone.

TheKilo
05-05-2007, 03:04 PM
They should trade Ellsbury for a proven ML center fielder. I'm not confident in a prospect's ability to make the jump to the major leagues.

a700hitter
05-05-2007, 03:13 PM
They should trade Ellsbury for a proven ML center fielder. I'm not confident in a prospect's ability to make the jump to the major leagues.Your sarcasm is noted. Ellsbury is the most talented position player in the system, so he should be the one that they hold onto. The others: Murphy, Moss etc are basically trading chips. The point is that very, very few players come up through the organization and make an immediate impact. It's up to the FO to figure out the one or two that will make it and keep only them. It's not an exact science and most organizations are wrong more often than not in making these predictions. That being said if Ellsbury could get you an Andruw Jones-type player under a long term contract, the FO would be foolish not to make the move for the established super star. Right now, there is not a young very talented CF that is under contract beyond this year.

TheKilo
05-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Your sarcasm is noted. Ellsbury is the most talented position player in the system, so he should be the one that they hold onto. The others: Murphy, Moss etc are basically trading chips. The point is that very, very few players come up through the organization and make an immediate impact. It's up to the FO to figure out the one or two that will make it and keep only them. It's not an exact science and most organizations are wrong more often than not in making these predictions. That being said if Ellsbury could get you an Andruw Jones-type player under a long term contract, the FO would be foolish not to make the move for the established super star. Right now, there is not a young very talented CF that is under contract beyond this year.

;)

Just messin with you.

a700hitter
05-05-2007, 03:14 PM
;)

Just messin with you.I know.:D

example1
05-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Ellsbury 2/4, RBI, 2 SB, 1 CS (apparently he stole second and tried to steal 3rd). This guy is crazy fast.

a700hitter
05-07-2007, 11:48 PM
This guy is the real deal. He has outstanding tools and he doesn't get intimidated. You know I give it straight about prospects, and it is seldom as favorable as the scouting reports. This kid is exciting.

adam123
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
WHAT ABOUT JOSH HAMILTON . I THINK HE COULD FLOURISH HERE PLUS HES CHEAP

Rdsxmbnt
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
WHAT DOES THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ELLSBURY?

adam123
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
WHAT DOES THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ELLSBURY?

sorry man i just like the guy . Ellsbury is gonna be a gem hopefully we get to see him this year

jacksonianmarch
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
sorry man i just like the guy . Ellsbury is gonna be a gem hopefully we get to see him this year

get a Brita and try to strain some stupid out of your water.

jacksonianmarch
05-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Ellsbury is hitting .300 after taking an 0 for 4 last night.

Coco's Disciples
05-09-2007, 06:39 AM
WHAT ABOUT JOSH HAMILTON . I THINK HE COULD FLOURISH HERE PLUS HES CHEAP

HE'S PROBABLY NOT CHEAP ANYMORE BECAUSE HE'S TEARING THE COVER OFF THE BALL.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT

jacksonianmarch
05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Loud noises, SCREAMING!!

schillingouttheks
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
MY BALLS ITCH

example1
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Ellsbury is hitting .300 after taking an 0 for 4 last night.

.408 on the season between AA and AAA. .280 in AAA after going 1 for 5 with a walk today.

ellsberryfan
07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Been a while since this thread saw some action. I justed wanted to know if anyone knows what is going on with Ellsbury these days. I try to check box scores every couple days and I noticed he has not been in the line-up the last two nights. Any answers?

ORS
07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I read somewhere that he's day to day with a minor ailment.