PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Top Ten Prospects

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Rate your top ten prospects for the Red Sox, in your opinion.

Mine are:

1. Jon Lester SP, Portland
2. Jon Papelbon SP, Pawtucket
3. Dustin Pedoria 2B, Pawtucket
4. Hanley Ramriez SS, Portland
5. Anibal Sanchez SP, Portland
6. Manny Delcramen RP, Pawtucket
7. Brandon Moss OF, Portland
8. Kelly Shoppach C, Pawtucket
9. Abe Alvarez SP, Pawtucket
10. Jacoby Ellsbury CF, Lowell

I'd say our first 6 are untouchable.

bigpapi349
07-23-2005, 01:33 PM
i agree. i might put hanley above pedroia though
the only guys id trade on that list are shoppach moss and abe(who is overrated)

ORS
07-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Sanchez seems to have a higher ceiling than Lester or Papelbon according to scouting reports, but I haven't seen any of them play, so I'll go with your list.

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Sanchez seems to have a higher ceiling than Lester or Papelbon according to scouting reports, but I haven't seen any of them play, so I'll go with your list.

I rated Lester higher then Sanchez, because he throws 4 plus pitches (fastball, slider, curve, and a changeup) also the fact that he is lefthanded and throws 95+. Sanchez will be a very good pitcher some day as well.

Can you imagine if all 3 if these guys reach their potential? That would be some staff.

ORS
07-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I know, and that is why you are right in placing them in the "untouchable" list. Did you see Sanchez's line from last night?

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I know, and that is why you are right in placing them in the "untouchable" list. Did you see Sanchez's line from last night?

Yeah, 11 strikeouts! He was sitting on 94 mph all night, I heard.

bigpapi349
07-23-2005, 01:57 PM
the redsox are 1 of the few teams that have a good team now and have a lot of good prospects for the future.
imagine
rotation-

1.Lester
2.Papelbon
3.Sanchez
4.Abe Alvarez
5.chris narvenson

Pen-
MRP-cla merideth,juan perez
SU-declaramen
CL-hansen

the yankees hav wang and are said to be trading there other two best pitching prospects to the reds. they are in trouble for the future

bigpapi349
07-23-2005, 02:02 PM
C-shoppach
2B-pedroia
3B-youk
SS-hanley
CF-ellsbury
LF-moss
1B-?
RF-?

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 02:02 PM
the redsox are 1 of the few teams that have a good team now and have a lot of good prospects for the future.
imagine
rotation-

1.Lester
2.Papelbon
3.Sanchez
?
?

Pen-
MRP-Alvarez
SU-Hansen
CL-Delcramen

the yankees hav wang and are said to be trading there other two best pitching prospects to the reds. they are in trouble for the future

Just flip the closer and setup man, becasue that's probably where Hansen will be. Though I have heard he might be a starter.

bigpapi349
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
ya i heard he wants to be a starter also. i think id like his 97 mph fastball and 90 mph slider at the end of the game though

CrespoBlows
07-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Our best Red Sox prospect team would probably look like this

C: Shoppach 25, PAW
1B: Jonathan Egan 18, GCL
2B: Dustin Pedoria 21, PAW
SS: Hanley Ramriez 21, POR
3B: Kevin Youkilis 26, PAW
LF: Luis Soto 19, LOW
CF: Jacoby Ellsbury 21, LOW
RF: Brandon Moss 22, POR
DH: Jed Lowrie 21, LOW

Pitching Staff

1. Jon Papelbon 24, PAW
2. Jon Lester 21, POR
3. Anibal Sanchez 21, POR
4. Michael Bowden 18, GCL
5. David Pauley 22, POR

RP: Manny Delcarmen 23, PAW
RP: Abe Alvarez 21, PAW
RP: Cla Merdith 22, PAW
RP: Randy Beam 22, POR
RP: Edgar Martinez 23, POR (I like this kid he's a converted catcher, in his first year of pitching, done well so far)
CL: Craig Hansen 21

I don't think that all of these guys will be good, but we do have a pretty good foundation for later sucess.

bigpapi349
07-23-2005, 02:19 PM
that is a very talented team.

stocker323
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Dustin Pedroia
3. Anibal Sanchez
4. Jon Lester
5. Jon Papelbon
6. Brandon Moss
7. Manny Delcarmen
8. Craig Hansen (Not sure if you're including him)
9. Kelly Shoppach
10. Jacoby Ellsbury

Boogie
07-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Bullshit. Phil Hughes is not going to the Reds. They made it very clear to Oakland that he isn't going anywhere. The deal will be Melky, Proctor, and Edwardo Sierra, which is crap. Melky sucks, Proctor is a non-prospect, and Sierra has mental issues and no command.

As is, we have Hughes and Wang, who are great. Christian Garcia is still very young and has what scouts have said is an above average major-league hook and he throws in the mid-90's and we also have Tyler Clippard who at the age of about 20 is showing signs of dominance. Hughes, Wang, Clippard, and Garcia are names to watch for. Your system has better arms overall, but the Yankees system is going through the same transformation the Sox system did a few years ago.

YanksHater213
07-23-2005, 03:15 PM
1. Jon Papelbon
2. Dustin Pedroia
3. Hanley Ramirez
4. Anibal Sanchez
5. Jon Lester
6. Manny Delcarmen
7. Brandon Moss
8. Craig Hansen
9. Jacoby Ellsbury
10. Abe Alvarez

Thats right, I took Shoppach off my list. He is pretty old for a prospect, was unimpressive in his time up in the majors, and there pretty much isnt a place for him on this roster with Varitek and Mirabelli on the roster.

yankeessuck013
07-24-2005, 11:58 AM
1.) Papelbon
2.) Lester
3.) Pedroia
4.) Ramirez
5.) Sanchez
6.) Delcarmen
7.) Hansen
8.) Moss
9.) Ellsbury (might swith with moss)
10.) Shoppach

AgentAnni008
07-24-2005, 12:56 PM
for a team that hasnt seen good left handed pitching for ages (david wells is doing a good job) the farm system is LOADED with'em. all of these guys will win games at the major league level someday...

jon lester 6'4 200 21yrs
chris narveson 6'3 205 23yrs
abe alvarez 6'2 190 22yrs
lenny dinardo 6'4 195 24yrs
brian marshall 6'5 190 22yrs
yulkin german 6'2 180 21 yrs
kyle fernandez 6'0 190 19yrs

there is definitely some good ones in this group and we are deep enough to have some decent trade bait in the upcoming years.

CrespoBlows
07-24-2005, 01:05 PM
for a team that hasnt seen good left handed pitching for ages (david wells is doing a good job) the farm system is LOADED with'em. all of these guys will win games at the major league level someday...

jon lester 6'4 200 21yrs
chris narveson 6'3 205 23yrs
abe alvarez 6'2 190 22yrs
lenny dinardo 6'4 195 24yrs
brian marshall 6'5 190 22yrs
yulkin german 6'2 180 21 yrs
kyle fernandez 6'0 190 19yrs

there is definitely some good ones in this group and we are deep enough to have some decent trade bait in the upcoming years.

Lester, Alvarez, and maybe Naverson are the only legitmate prospects. The other ones could be good, but they have to have some good years first.

CrespoBlows
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Sanchez lowered his ERA to 1.31 yesterday.

6 IP's 4 H 1 ER 0 BB 3 K's

stevece80
07-29-2005, 05:20 PM
1. Jon Lester
2. Anibal Sanchez
3. Jon Papelbon
4. Manny Delcarmen
5. Hanley Ramirez
6. Craig Hansen
7. Dustin Pedroia
8. Kelly Shoppach
9. Mickey Hall
10. Jacoby Ellsbury

I guess.

BrentD22
07-29-2005, 10:18 PM

The Yankees don't care about the farm teams. They trade and sign big name free agents and buy their way to World Series. The only problem is that plan is starting to fail them and hurt them. I think the next 8 years will be Red Sox on top for the most part!

CrespoBlows
07-31-2005, 06:35 PM
The Yankees don't care about the farm teams. They trade and sign big name free agents and buy their way to World Series. The only problem is that plan is starting to fail them and hurt them. I think the next 8 years will be Red Sox on top for the most part!

Not with a 200 million dollar payroll, the Yankees will still be competitive every year. The Yankees have exactly 3 prospects to speak about in their farm system, Philip Hughes (who could be an ace), Eric Duncan (who could be really good if he ever learns what a strike is), and Robinson Cano (who WILL be really good). I'm not sold on Wang at all, he has a good fastball, but it doesn't generate a lot of swing and misses, and with that porous Yankee defense, you need all the K's you can get.

historyofthegame
08-01-2005, 01:51 AM
1. Paplebon
2. Sanchez
3. Pedroia
4. Hansen
5. Lester
6. Ramirez
7. Moss
8. Delcarmen
9. Ellsbury
10. Shoppach

Roberte77
08-01-2005, 02:34 AM
With all these great prospects, I tip my hat to Theo for all the trades that he did NOT make - it is true that sometimes the best trades are the ones that you don't make.

With these prospects plus the talent that the Red Sox have now plus whatever they add in future free agency (like a good hitting/good fielding first baseman), they sould be set for a long time.

MC Hammer
08-01-2005, 08:40 AM
With all these great prospects, I tip my hat to Theo for all the trades that he did NOT make - it is true that sometimes the best trades are the ones that you don't make.

With these prospects plus the talent that the Red Sox have now plus whatever they add in future free agency (like a good hitting/good fielding first baseman), they sould be set for a long time.
Yeah, this is how you build a team that is successfull forever. You spend the money to keep a competitive team on the field while you build up your farm system, and then (get this george) you actually bring the minor leaguers up instead of trading them away for 30 somethings with huge contracts.

I'm very excited about how Theo is doing things because I know we'll have a competitive team now and in the future. Can't wait to see some of these guys at the ML level.

yeszir
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm very excited about how Theo is doing things because I know we'll have a competitive team now and in the future. Can't wait to see some of these guys at the ML level.
Not to mention the fact that a lot of our talent has the possibility of being of the home-grown variety, which ultimately makes it more satisfying.

yankeessuck013
08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Makes it even more impressive, because Theo is not under contract next season, and he is getting offers for a lot of $$$$ from other teams and turned them down, but the red sox do not want to "negotiate during the season."

I think Theo will be back, who wouldn't want to be GM of the team you grew up watching and you love. Hopefully Georgie Porgie won't try and get Theo, but I have confidence that Theo wouldn't turn his back on RSN just like that.

I have faith that Theo will be back in the Red Sox Front Office Next Year!

MC Hammer
08-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Theo brought Boston a World Series. And we've got a chance to win another one this year. There is no question that Theo will be brought back no matter the cost. I actually think he'll take less money to stay.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of our talent has the possibility of being of the home-grown variety, which ultimately makes it more satisfying.
Exactly. Not only did you find the talent, but you groomed the talent for years. When several prospects are big league ready around the same time it is really proof of a great farm system. I mean look at the Braves. Look how many players they've brought up this year, and look how much success every single one of them has had.

Boogie
08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Not with a 200 million dollar payroll, the Yankees will still be competitive every year. The Yankees have exactly 3 prospects to speak about in their farm system, Philip Hughes (who could be an ace), Eric Duncan (who could be really good if he ever learns what a strike is), and Robinson Cano (who WILL be really good). I'm not sold on Wang at all, he has a good fastball, but it doesn't generate a lot of swing and misses, and with that porous Yankee defense, you need all the K's you can get.
There are other guys who we have. You are underrating some of our prospects. Those are our top tier, but we have some other teenagers down low who are outstanding. Tyler Clippard is around 20 and has been dominant this year, Jon Poterson has been destroying NY-Penn League pitching at the age of 19, and Marcos Vechionacci has too much talent to be ignored, especially since he is still just a teenager. Plus if you guys count Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, and Craig Hansen as legit prospects, then Carl Henry and J. Brent Cox have to be included.

riverside sluggers
08-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Plus if you guys count Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, and Craig Hansen as legit prospects, then Carl Henry and J. Brent Cox have to be included.

oh you did not just go there!!? Sox signed him for a reason, this kid has dominating stuff to be a closer, Scouts said he has the makings to be the Keith Foulke of 2004

bigpapi349
08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Sox Future Team (http://www.soxprospects.com/index.htm)

SP
1.Papelbon
2.Lester
3.Anibal Sanchez
4.Michael Rozier
5.Dave Pauley
(Matt Goodson)

Relief-
1.abe alvarez
2.cla meredith
3.Ryan Philips
Long--Jose Vaquedano

Setup-
1.Delcarmen

Closer-
1.Hansen

C. Shoppach
1B. Lowrie? (2B maybe convert to 1st)
2B. Pedroia
3B. Youkilis
SS. Hanley
LF. Soto
CF. Ellsbury
RF. Moss
DH. Alex Machado?
BN- Christian Lara, Jeremy West, Chris Durbin, David Murphy, Andrew Pinckney

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 06:04 PM
There are other guys who we have. You are underrating some of our prospects. Those are our top tier, but we have some other teenagers down low who are outstanding. Tyler Clippard is around 20 and has been dominant this year, Jon Poterson has been destroying NY-Penn League pitching at the age of 19, and Marcos Vechionacci has too much talent to be ignored, especially since he is still just a teenager. Plus if you guys count Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie, and Craig Hansen as legit prospects, then Carl Henry and J. Brent Cox have to be included.

Tyler Clippard is in A ball right now, while he is a prospect, he isn't a great one. He lives on locating his fastball, which is in the 90-92 mph range, while it's a good pitch it's not a great one. His secondary stuff is just OK, Clippard could be a servicable back of the rotation starter, he isn't close to ace potential

Jon Poterson has some good power potential, but lacks plate discipline. Right now he's Mark Bellhorn, he needs to get more power, or become more disciplined, when he does that I will say he is a good prospect.

You won't believe, you'll call me biased, but J.Brent Cox, could be very good, (I love his slider) but his mechanics just put up a big mother fucking red flag. He needs to fix those, or he is just an injury prone pitcher.

Carl Henry isn't near as polished as the Sox draft picks, which is why I ranked them ahead of Henry.

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 06:05 PM

SP
1.Papelbon
2.Lester
3.Anibal Sanchez
4.Michael Rozier
5.Dave Pauley
(Matt Goodson)

Relief-
1.abe alvarez
2.cla meredith
3.Ryan Philips
Long--Jose Vaquedano

Setup-
1.Delcarmen

Closer-
1.Hansen

C. Shoppach
2B. Pedroia
3B. Youkilis
SS. Hanley
LF. Soto
CF. Ellsbury
RF. Moss
DH. Alex Machado?

Flip Egan at 1st, then put Lowrie at DH.

bigpapi349
08-02-2005, 06:08 PM
ya forgot about egan

stevece80
08-02-2005, 06:43 PM
C. Shoppach
2B. Pedroia
3B. Youkilis
SS. Hanley
LF. Soto
CF. Ellsbury
RF. Moss
DH. Alex Machado?

That team would hit 70 home runs. 35 of which would be by Shoppach. Shoppach won't be in the system long enough to be the starting catcher.

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
That team would hit 70 home runs. 35 of which would be by Shoppach. Shoppach won't be in the system long enough to be the starting catcher.

I'm guessing if Soto reaches his max potential, (highly unlikely) but he could hit 25+, he has the best natural swing in the system.

Lowrie could hit 15-20 HR's, key word is could.

stevece80
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I agree on Soto, but I don't see half of those players being major league regulars. That's not pessimism, that's absolutely realism. I've never seen Moss as someone who projects to hit more than 20 a year. A lot of those guys have little power, and most project as 15-20 guys, if they reach their peaks. I'm just saying I see one real power bat out of them, and that's Shoppach.

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree on Soto, but I don't see half of those players being major league regulars. That's not pessimism, that's absolutely realism. I've never seen Moss as someone who projects to hit more than 20 a year. A lot of those guys have little power, and most project as 15-20 guys, if they reach their peaks. I'm just saying I see one real power bat out of them, and that's Shoppach.

You're correct, the only players I see being regulars are Pedoria, Shoppach (elsewhere), Ellsbury (to early to tell), and Youkilis. Which ones did you think?

stevece80
08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Papelbon
Lester
Anibal Sanchez
meredith
Delcarmen
Hansen
Shoppach
Pedroia
Youkilis
Hanley
Ellsbury

These who I see as big league regulars. Not saying the others won't, just who I think will right now. Alvarez will, but not with the Red Sox. I also don't think all of these players will necessarily be all with the Sox, but I see them all being at least average players in the league.

I'd commit suicide if Alejandro Machado were DHing for the Red Sox. I mean, seriously?