PDA

View Full Version : Andreas Galaraga to the Sox?

CrespoBlows
05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
He could be a usable player off the bench, for the remainder of the year, plus he would come cheap. What are your thoughts?

GrassInZimsTeeth
05-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I think he'd look good in a nice red sports jacket and a rag in his hand. They don't have enough of those ushers to wipe the peanut shells off the seats at Fenway.

Tek04
05-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by GrassInZimsTeeth@May 26 2004, 12:47 PM
I think he'd look good in a nice red sports jacket and a rag in his hand. They don't have enough of those ushers to wipe the peanut shells off the seats at Fenway.
you never have anything positive to say.

GrassInZimsTeeth
05-26-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be negative.

I'm not an optimist, but I'm also not an outright pessimist.

I guess I'm a cynic.

Let me at least justify my comment on El Gato:

I see in my mind the image of Andreas coming to the Sox and all the past images (ghosts if you will) of old, rusty re-treads come flooding into my head. It's like Lou Gorman is GM again and we're signing Willie McGee, Jack Clark, Rob Deer... it goes on. I don't think Galarraga is that type of player though (yet). I don't see Galarraga's return to the field being as benificial to the team he plays for as it is to himself.

In an effort to be more positive, I think Galarraga is a very intelligent player. I think he might have a few more years of playing left in him, but his new value can be found in developing young hitters, teaching them how to approach plate appearances, and study pitchers. I've always seen that as a strength of his and figured that's how he was typically in the hunt for batting titles year after year. He'd be a great hitting coach or member of player development, especially since he's mulit-lingual.

JMDurron
05-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GrassInZimsTeeth@May 26 2004, 12:34 PM
It's like Lou Gorman is GM again and we're signing Willie McGee, Jack Clark, Rob Deer...
You mean like Ellis Burks?

yeszir
05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't like Galaraga for the sole reason that he falls for the hidden ball trick constantly. When he was playing regularly, every other month Sportscenter would have a highlight of him being tagged out at first, a victim of the trick. So I guess I have a negative perception of him. :(

And like GIZT said, the idea of the sox going out and signing old, semi-washed up players like in years past makes me cringe. I'd like to see trades with an eye for the future go down.

YanksHater213
05-26-2004, 04:52 PM
although galaraga could solve our bench hitting problems, i think he would just be too much of a risk to acquire unless we could get him for next to nothing

Tek04
05-26-2004, 05:59 PM
if galaraga ever came to the sox i can see him ending up like tony clark :(

GrassInZimsTeeth
05-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Tek04@May 26 2004, 05:59 PM
if galaraga ever came to the sox i can see him ending up like tony clark :(
Excellent analogy.

Nomar182
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
he is not that good. i rather get someone else more vauluable to the club