PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like tennis? Who will win the US Open?

whereisnomar
08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
I believe that Rafael "Boy Wonder" Nadal is going to have a great run at the US Open, and James "The Harvard Guy" Blake will also do very well. Another cool thing that they have for the US Open Series is the player nicknames! Here is the list of everyone with a nickname::
Men
Andre Agassi: “The Legend”
Mario Ancic: “Young Gun”
James Blake: “The Harvard Guy”
Bryan Brothers: “Double Feature”
Taylor Dent: “The Bomber”
Roger Federer: “The Boss”
Mardy Fish: “The Bachelor”
Tommy Haas: “The Stud”
Tim Henman: “The Good Guy”
Lleyton Hewitt: “The Rebel”
Nicolas Keifer: “The Gladiator”
Ivan Ljubicic: “The Terminator”
Carlos Moya: “The Hunk”
Rafael Nadal: “Boy Wonder”
David Nalbandian: “The Warrior”
Andy Roddick: “Rocket Man”
Marat Safin: “Mr. Unpredictable”
Paradorn Srichaphan: “The Diplomat”

Great idea by the USTA, very interesting thinking.

YankeeDoodle
08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Meh. Everyone has been Federer-ed thus far. I don't want to like this guy, but his game is far beyond what anyone on the circuit has; Hewitt and Roddick turn to Swiss cheese.

"The Bachelor"? "The Hunk"? I'm not even going to say anything...

You better bring it, Andy. BRING IT. Great serve, but until he solves

Do they have any nicknames for the ladies? LOL. I think Davenport is close; feel for Lindsay because she's been so close, and so consistent, but just couldn't pull the trigger. She is due.

YanksHater213
08-09-2005, 09:14 PM
I dont know about Nadal. He is nowhere near as good as he is on clay on hard, we will see. Federer will win this one. I guarantee it. I wouldnt be surprised to see Blake go 3 or 4 rounds in, hes been playing well lately, same with Srichapan. I think Safin wont do very well. I think Roddick will lose in the semis, whether its to Hewitt or Federer or someone else, but I just dont think hes playing good enough tennis right now. Sure he won the Legg Mason tournament last week, but dont forget he lost to ROBBY GINEPRI a few weeks back.

But I know a girl who might get into the womens draw. She is in San Diego playing in a tournament and the winner gets a wild card in. Shes good, very good, the number one seed. I worked on my return of serve once while she was serving to me. I hope she gets in. Shes from Billerica, Mass too, they had and article about her in the Globe a few months back.

whereisnomar
08-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I was watching Nadal today, and he took at Carlos Moya a.k.a "The Hunk" (haha) He was not that great on the hard court, but he was oK. His balls just jumped off the court. Also, your right, James Blake is playing very well now.

They do have names for the ladies. I think that Lindsay is "Top Gun" which works for her, Maria Sharapova is "The 'It' Girl which fits for sure.

yankeessuck013
08-10-2005, 10:03 PM
i'm going with roddick, hes looked good on the hard courts thus far

YanksHater213
08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Roddick wont even make the semis. I believe he lost early in a tournament the other day. He is terrible, his groundstrokes suck. He is all serve. Wont do anything this year in the US Open

whereisnomar
08-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Yah, but who will win the US Open?

Predict.

yankeessuck013
08-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Roddick wont even make the semis. I believe he lost early in a tournament the other day. He is terrible, his groundstrokes suck. He is all serve. Wont do anything this year in the US Open

so he doesn't have the scariest forehand in all of tennis?

YanksHater213
08-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Yah, but who will win the US Open?

Federer

so he doesn't have the scariest forehand in all of tennis?

He might have that, but it is not the most consistent of shots. His backhand is a notch above bad, and his slice is good sometimes, but usually he cant do what he wants with hit everytime. He has gotten better at the net but is still no comparision there to some of the big guns like Federer, Hewitt, Henman, Nadal, Nalbandian, etc. The only reason he keeps winning is because of his serve. All he has is his serve. If you are able to hold every single one of you serves for a match, all you have to do is break once per set, which isnt that hard if you have such a booming forehand and is capable of hitting winners off of it. I think Roddick is so overrated.

whereisnomar
08-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Federer has been out lately, do you know what his injury is?

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I think its his foot, but he is playing in Cincinatti tomorrow.

Anyone just watch Nadal tool on Agassi in the third set at the Rogers Open or whatever it was called? Nadal won the match 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, and it was by far one of the better matches I have seen this year. Nadal showed what he was made out of, made some great digs, and gets that no one else would have gotten. He has amazing speed, and after watching this match it wouldnt me surprised if he did very well in the US Open.

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
But I know a girl who might get into the womens draw. She is in San Diego playing in a tournament and the winner gets a wild card in. Shes good, very good, the number one seed. I worked on my return of serve once while she was serving to me. I hope she gets in. Shes from Billerica, Mass too, they had and article about her in the Globe a few months back.
Hmm... she just won National Championships, beating the #2 seed 7-6 (8-6), 5-7, 6-1, and now she is a wild card into the US Open. Pretty amazing if you ask me, considering that I have hit with her once before, and been coached by her dad a few times.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I think its his foot, but he is playing in Cincinatti tomorrow.

Anyone just watch Nadal tool on Agassi in the third set at the Rogers Open or whatever it was called? Nadal won the match 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, and it was by far one of the better matches I have seen this year. Nadal showed what he was made out of, made some great digs, and gets that no one else would have gotten. He has amazing speed, and after watching this match it wouldnt me surprised if he did very well in the US Open.

pretty impressive but I can't watch tennis, too boring...playing is more fun

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Boring? Watching baseball is boring. Sometimes its exciting, but usually boring. Tennis is 18743218752983539845 times better to watch, especially when your a huge fan of one of the players. But your right, playing is a lot more fun.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 06:23 PM
its just watchin the ball go back and forth, only like watchin roddick and sharapova, cuz shes the hottest player and she grunts ALL the time, ahhhhhh so sexy

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
You think her grunt is hot? Gross, its more of a manly yell... I have heard so much better grunts in my day than hers... Once I was at the Clay Court Championships in Rhode Island, and this one girl, who was playing the girls 16s finals didnt grunt, she moaned, it was pretty awesome.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 06:33 PM
You think her grunt is hot? Gross, its more of a manly yell... I have heard so much better grunts in my day than hers... Once I was at the Clay Court Championships in Rhode Island, and this one girl, who was playing the girls 16s finals didnt grunt, she moaned, it was pretty awesome.

yeah be she wasnt as sexy, any girl that grunts has got it goin on

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Meh, she was decently hot, but grunting is definitely not as hot as moaning.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2005-07-07/200507071122405454133.html

at the us open Prize Money Tops Record $17.7 Million With Potential $20.6 Million Total Payout......holy shit

the william sisters have the manliest grunt though

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Theyre right up there with the manlieness of Maria's too. I would tell you who has the best grunt for Women's, but I dont see enough of Womens tennis on TV. I did watch Hantucova vs. Dementieva, but Hantucova isnt that bad looking either, and her grunt is pretty awesome too...

yeszir
08-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Now I have that Cream song stuck in my head. "Anyone for Tennis?"

stocker323
08-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Tennis more exciting to watch than baseball? It may be more fun to play since you probably get to play more, but as far as watching I don't see how you can say tennis is more fascinating. It is about the same time in between pitches as it is between points, so I don't see how you can make that argument, plus you never know what will happen next as there is a variety of occurences, I'm sure that there are some in tennis, but I just feel baseball has more.

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Baseball is too slow, takes too long. I would take a good tennis match over a good baseball game any day.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 09:09 PM
hmmm...you're one of those guys who are soooo obsessed with tennis, I have a friend like that, annoying as fuck...everyday- "you wanna play tennis?", "you ready for tennis?".......ahhhh shit

I like my baseball buddies more

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Nah, I'm not like that at all. I have never gone out of my way to play tennis, I just go by my schedule that my coach gave me. Tennis is still pretty amazing too, much more entertaining than baseball.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
i just like how the crowd gets into it at a baseball game and how loud they can become as the game gets going.

golf is pretty boring too.

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Golf is by far the worst... that and bowling.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 09:26 PM
ha that friend i was tellin you about a couple posts ago, loves golf. tennis and golf are his whole life. he tried out for the team at our high school, he went to the first day of tryouts but i guess he did so bad he didnt even show up for the 2nd and 3rd days. He's a quitter- quit football, wrestling...and golf.

me and my girlfriend go bowling sometimes on fridays jsut to goof around with each other and hang out with friends.

YankeeDoodle
08-14-2005, 09:33 PM
About the US Open - aren't they going to make the court blue, to make the ball easier to see or something. At first I thought this was akin to the glowing puck (white ice, black puck...what's so hard about it??), but I guess, whatever? They would never dye the grass blue in Wimbledon, I don't think anyways, however I suppose this year they're doing a lot of things to promote the game, such as having the nicknames.

It would be cool to see Agassi go out on top, like Sampras did, but I don't think his game is quite there.

yankeessuck013
08-14-2005, 09:46 PM
i hear agassi played really well in montreal this past week

YanksHater213
08-14-2005, 09:48 PM
He did. He played Nadal tough, but Nadal just came up with some huge shots in the end, and was just too speedy for Agassi to handle.

yankeessuck013
08-17-2005, 11:27 AM
just saw on ESPNEWS that berdych beat nadal, who's berdych?

YanksHater213
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Hes a young player, 20 year old Czech. Very promising young player, ranked 38th in the world. Recently Nadal did beat him in the Swedish Open final. Both of thes guys are going to be very good.

yankeessuck013
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
just turned on ESPN2 and was watching some girl named Nicole Vaidisova, and damn she has got it going on.

yankeessuck013
08-20-2005, 01:18 AM
on second thought, they just showed a close up of her face and its ok, my girlfriends better

but shes got nice legs

Manny Goes Boom
08-20-2005, 01:31 AM
LOL, yeah and they kept the camera on Justine Henin-Hardenne for like ever when she was bent over LMAO. That other girl does have nice legs, though. Your right about that.

YanksHater213
08-20-2005, 05:21 AM
just turned on ESPN2 and was watching some girl named Nicole Vaidisova, and damn she has got it going on.
Im pretty sure shes like... 15 years old. Maybe I could be confusing her with someone else, but yeah she is pretty hot. But by far the most underrated tennis player in terms of looks is Daniela Hantuchova, damn, she is HOT.

YankeeDoodle
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Tough luck, Andy. Maybe another time...

Federer beats Roddick, extends finals streak (http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/4587758)

MASON, Ohio (AP) - No matter what he tries, Andy Roddick can't figure out a way to beat the world's top player.

Unflappable Roger Federer won his 22nd straight final on Sunday, beating the exasperated American 6-3, 7-5 for the Cincinnati Masters championship and his ninth overall title this season.
Federer improved to 10-1 against Roddick, who tried every tactic but still came up short. Federer has won the last six times they've met, including the last two Wimbledon finals.

yankeessuck013
08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
ahhh that sucks. Hopefully someone can beat Federer in the US Open before him and roddick face off.

I'll be driving down to go to a day of the US Open to meet up with a friend of men, then school.;)

YanksHater213
08-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Roddick will never beat Federer again. As long as Federer is the top player in the world Roddick wont be able to beat him. Roddick is by far the most overrated player on this planet. His backhand sucks, and he cant play at the net. Federer is just WAY too good, Roddick has no chance against him. But thats Roddick, he is way too inconsistent to beat baseline players like Hewitt and Federer and Nadal, because they can get to everything and make him hit shots, and bring him up to the net.

YanksHater213
08-22-2005, 05:10 AM
On another note, Federer will win the US Open, he just won this tournament after not playing since Wimbledon. This was supposed to be a thing for him to get his rust off, and he WON. Granted Ginepri played him tough, but he still pulled that one out, though Ginepri played the match of his life. I just dont see Federer losing to anyone at this point. Roddick cant beat him. Hewitt cant beat him. Safin cant beat him. The only other guy who I can see being able to beat Federer is Nadal. Nadal is the real deal. He whooped up on him on clay, and has played him tough on Hard, if im not mistaken, beating him once, and losing to him in 3 sets, in which he had match points too...

yankeessuck013
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Roddick, Clijsters top final US Open Series standings

Pair get double prize money in year's final Grand Slam

NEW YORK -- Andy Roddick and Kim Clijsters topped the final U.S. Open Series standings Sunday, giving them double prize money in the Grand Slam event with the potential to win a record $2.2 million.

Roddick, the 2003 U.S. Open winner, took the series men's title by advancing to the Cincinnati Masters final following his win two weeks ago in the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. Top-ranked Roger Federer beat Roddick 6-3, 7-5 on Sunday in Ohio.

Clijsters won the Rogers Cup on Sunday in Toronto, beating Justine Henin-Hardenne 7-5, 6-1 in an all-Belgian final. Clijsters has won five of her WTA Tour-leading six 2005 titles on hardcourts, three in the U.S. Open Series

YankeeDoodle
08-24-2005, 02:00 AM
Roddick can only hope that some nobody knocks out Federer in his draw. Mwahaha. I don't think they've faced off in the US Open...it'd be entertaining, see if the home crowd can get a rise out of Roddick (that would actually help his game).

YanksHater213
08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Even if Roddick raised his game, Federer would win. Roddick is by far the most overrated player EVER. He is not even close to Federers level. The only reason why hes in first in the standings was because he played in every tournament and beat up on lower level players.

yankeessuck013
08-24-2005, 01:30 PM
US Open Draws are out!

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/index.html

stocker323
08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
The girl Yankshater knows plays some random girl in the 1st round and if she wins she has to play Sharapova. Her dad gave me lessons once. I feel so famous.

YanksHater213
08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
You do? I've returned her serve before, and I've been coached by her dad on numerous occasions. I think its pretty cool to know someone who is a pro. She actually called my coach who was taking me and my friend to a tournament we were playing in from Russia at the Fed Cup, and wished us luck. Granted I lost 2 and 2, but I played pretty damn well.

yankeessuck013
08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
maybe she could get you guys a date with sharapova :rolleyes:

YanksHater213
08-24-2005, 04:08 PM
...I wish...

yankeessuck013
08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
ahhhh we all do, those russian chicks got it goin on.

YanksHater213
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Uhhh... not all of them.. ever see what Myskina looks like?

yankeessuck013
08-24-2005, 04:17 PM
yeah she is pretty ugly, I remember I was watchin a match on ESPN a couple years ago and they said Mauresmo was a dike, still can't believe they said that on the air.

YanksHater213
08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Mauresmo is a fucking man... Kuznetsova is disgusting as well...