PDA

View Full Version : THE college football thread

YankeeDoodle
08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Plug your conference and team in here. And if you want to take a shot at the BCS, why not, but it's not changing anytime soon. Choklehoma wouldn't have any of it.

USC will be going after its 2.5 nd-rd (-ish?), consecutive national champshionship, in Pasadena, CA in the Rose Bowl. Actually that's not exactly my pick; but they're number one (well fine, Harris Poll doesn't come out until a month after the season starts) until someone else can beat them.

Bowl Games (http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/bowls/)

Gaylords Hotels Music City Bowl? What's next - Meineke Car Care Bowl? Oh wait, that already exists.

Edit: Because someone might ask, no, the "THE" in the title is not supposed to endorse Ohio State. Just to give it an extra push. Heh.

YankeeDoodle
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Bleh, I guess you people stick to your professional sports? Aren't you slightly curious as to how Charlie Weis is going to fare at Notre Dame? Washington's on the schedule this season. :lol:

Most sources have USC at number one, Tennessee's pretty high, Big Ten as the best conference. Texas is not going anywhere until they beat Oklahoma. Every year, it's the same ol' sad story, and every year under the Mack Brown tenure, they lose.

Btw, Jason White's done with the NFL due to his "bad knees". I'm not saying anything.

See Red
08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I think USC takes it's 3rd straight National Title. I've read/heard that they're better than last year and the only issue is whether or not they get complacent.

yankeessuck013
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
yup...USC all the way

YankeeDoodle
08-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I think it's just too hard. It's not a knock because they've already accomplished so much. The core of their team is still there, with Leinart, Bush, etc. Not to mention since it's being held in Pasadena, they're quite the favs to go there.

Who will get screwed over by the BCS, isn't that the question every year? <_<

Sizzlin22
08-11-2005, 03:44 PM
USC will lose in the chamionship game by a slim margin to UCONN. U-C-O-N-N UCONN UCONN UCONN.

yankeessuck013
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
haha..UCONN?!?!? LOL

didnt their college basketball players like steal computers from the dorms?

Sox fan in Tex
08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Gig'em Aggies! I have a good feeling about this year... possibly a trip to the Big XII Championship. With Oklahoma not being as strong, and texas losing some key players, all the power to the Fightin' Texas Aggies! WHOOP!

Sizzlin22
08-11-2005, 11:00 PM
haha..UCONN?!?!? LOL

didnt their college basketball players like steal computers from the dorms?
Basketball players are god here in CT. They could hiest a bank here and no one would care.

yankeessuck013
08-12-2005, 12:03 AM
you go to any uconn bball games, we have season tix to syracuse. went to the uconn/'cuse game in the garden last year, great game. then i stayed to watch us win the big east championship.

arodh8r
08-12-2005, 09:04 AM
BC Eagles football= can't wait

schillingouttheks
08-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm with ya on that one arodh8r. I went to BC/Miami game 2 years ago I believe, was the only one I really was able to get into the stadium. I also live less than 30 seconds from Alumni Stadium <_< But my football team this year is going to play Belmont Hill in Alumni Stadium and it's gunna be a kickass day, one for the memories :)

arodh8r
08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm hoping Porter is better than he was 2 years ago. I'll miss Petersen (poor guy) Kiwi should be 1st round pick after this season. And triple threat in the backfield. Here's to a great season :thumbsup:

DrewDaGreat
08-13-2005, 03:22 PM

to get stomped by Florida State?

:D

yankeessuck013
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM

i went to the BC/Syracuse game last year where we spoiled your guy's bid for a BCS bowl.

schillingouttheks
08-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I was SO PISSED OFF. You have NO IDEA. Oh yeah, I went to the b-ball game where we beat you at BC :harhar:

arodh8r
08-13-2005, 04:52 PM
It's a new season. I'd like to forget about Syracuse/BC last year

yankeessuck013
08-13-2005, 05:05 PM
I was SO PISSED OFF. You have NO IDEA. Oh yeah, I went to the b-ball game where we beat you at BC :harhar:

i went to the game where you guys won the national championship....oh wait....nevermind

schillingouttheks
08-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Meh, shut up lol. At least we didn't lose first round to Vermont :) Heh, it's all in good fun

yankeessuck013
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
hah, oh well shit happens.

hopefully we get to play you guys in OOC games, I know in football we are but hopefully we do in basketball too.

GabeKaplerluver19
08-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Go WNEC Golden Bears :D

yankeessuck013
08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
hahaha on cold pizza skip bayless said "usc is such a lock, they are not a lock and thats why they are going to lose to notre dame"....lol NOTRE LAME, hahahahahaha!!!!!

adn woody paige thinks texas is gonna win.

YankeeDoodle
08-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Win the whole thing? Texas ain't winning nothin' if they can't win against Oklahoma, and the game against Ohio State will be very telling for both teams. If Mack Brown can't win one of two, he'll be honing his "BCS Speech, part two", and voters won't be so sympathetic this year.

LOL, Matt Leinart has all his graduation credits, but he has to enroll in one class to be NCAA-eligible, so he's taking ballroom dancing with his girlfriend. :lol:

I don't think they'll be like, FOUR undefeated teams this year, but that's why a loss can be devastating.

yankeessuck013
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
LOL, Matt Leinart has all his graduation credits, but he has to enroll in one class to be NCAA-eligible, so he's taking ballroom dancing with his girlfriend. :lol:

hahhaa, what a great way to spend your last year in school EVER

Sizzlin22
08-16-2005, 10:23 PM
BC SUCKS!!!! Fucking Big East traitors.

YankeeDoodle
08-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Bwahaha, schools switching conferences to help with the football schedule. :lol: ACC hoops isn't cupcake, though.

yankeessuck013
08-16-2005, 11:06 PM
word dude glad we beat BC in that last game. but big east basketball will be sick. louisville, cincinatti, villanova, uconn, 'cuse, pitt, west virginia, depaul, marquette, notre lame. I expect 8 or 9 bids this year.

YankeeDoodle
08-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah but Big East didn't fare too well in the tourney last year; there were more ACC teams left despite less bids.

yankeessuck013
08-16-2005, 11:15 PM
north carolina is gonna suck this year, and duke should be ok, other than that who else is to worry about?

YankeeDoodle
08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
NC, even though I'd like to see nothing than Roy-Roy exposed (try recruiting your own players, give Doherty that), with that kind of program, they just reload, not rebuild. Wake even though they lost Paul. GT might rebound. NC State always has guts. MD...not commenting.

Iowa? Is taking the Big Ten title? No Michigan and no OSU. How does Iowa State avoid Oklahoma and Texas, anyways? (Yeah, switched conferences there.)

Interesting games on paper:
Texas at Ohio State - 10/10
Ohio State at Michigan - 11/19
Red River Shootout - meh?

Me look at schedule some other day. :lol:

Sizzlin22
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Big East is going to be by far the best baskeyball ocnference next year. I'm jsut pissed at BC because UCONN football was jsut getting off the ground and having BC in the conference would definitly help the program.

eZ_d0eS_iT?
08-18-2005, 01:50 PM
If I'm USC, the only teams I'm worried about are Oregon (its always difficult to play in Oregon), CAL (they always play SC tough) and UCLA (ditto). If they can get through them, I can't see anyone else they would be worried about.

yankeessuck013
08-19-2005, 08:42 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Bowl Predictions

Rose Bowl Jan. 4
Pasadena, Calif.
BCS #1 vs. BCS #2
Comment: Southern California and Iowa face off in the Rose Bowl as the top two ranked teams in the BCS.

Orange Bowl Jan. 3
Miami, Fla.
BCS vs. BCS
Comment: Louisville claims the Big East title and Virginia Tech wins the ACC, landing both teams in the Orange Bowl.

Sugar Bowl Jan. 2
New Orleans, La.
BCS vs. BCS
Comment: Tennessee lands in the Sugar Bowl as the SEC champ. Ohio State earns a trip to New Orlenas as an at-large pick.

Fiesta Bowl Jan. 2
Tempe, Ariz.
BCS vs. BCS
Comment: Florida heads to the Fiesta Bowl as the second at-large team, while Texas earns a spot by claiming the Big 12 title.

Non-BCS Games
Bowl Date Matchup Prediction
Capital One Jan. 2 SEC No. 2 vs. Big Ten No. 2 LSU vs. Michigan
Cotton Jan. 2 Big 12 vs. SEC Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Outback Jan. 2 Big Ten No. 3 vs. SEC Purdue vs. Georgia
Gator Jan. 2 ACC No. 2 vs. Big East No. 2 Miami (Fla.) vs. Pittsburgh
Liberty Dec. 31 C-USA No. 1 vs. TBA UTEP vs. New Mexico
Houston Dec. 31 Big 12 No. 5/6 vs. SEC Texas Tech vs. Alabama
Meineke Car Care Dec. 31 ACC vs. Big East Boston College vs. Syracuse
Peach Dec. 30 ACC No. 3 vs. SEC Florida State vs. South Carolina
Music City Dec. 30 SEC No. 6/7 vs. Big Ten No. 6 West Virginia* vs. Penn State
Independence Dec. 30 Big 12 vs. SEC Oklahoma State vs. Mississippi State
Sun Dec. 30 Big Ten No. 5 vs. Pac-10 No. 3 Minnesota vs. Oregon
Holiday Dec. 29 Pac-10 No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 3 Arizona State vs. Colorado
Emerald Dec. 29 MWC vs. Pac-10 No. 6 Wyoming vs. Washington State
Alamo Dec. 28 Big 12 No. 4 vs. Big Ten No. 4 Texas A&M vs. Wisconsin
MPC Computers Dec. 28 WAC vs. ACC No. 6 Boise State vs. Virginia
Insight Dec. 27 Pac-10 No. 4 vs. Big East California vs. Notre Dame+
Champs Sports Dec. 27 ACC 4/5 vs. Big 12 No. 7 Georgia Tech vs. Iowa State
Motor City Dec. 26 MAC vs. Big Ten No. 7 Bowling Green vs. Michigan State
Hawaii Dec. 24 C-USA No. 3 vs. WAC Southern Miss vs. Fresno State
Fort Worth Dec. 23 C-USA No. 4 vs. Big 12 No. 8 Houston vs. Miami (Ohio)*
Poinsettia Dec. 22 MWC vs. at-large BYU vs. Navy
Las Vegas Dec. 22 MWC vs. Pac-10 No. 5 Utah vs. UCLA
GMAC Dec. 21 C-USA No. 2 vs. MAC UAB vs. Toledo
New Orleans Dec. 20 Sun Belt No. 1 vs. C-USA North Texas vs. Memphis

+ - Notre Dame is considered a Big East school in bowl selection.
* - Teams fill in for conferences that don't have enough bowl eligible teams.

oooooo meinke car care center bowl....BC vs SU

YankeeDoodle
08-20-2005, 08:17 PM
AP Preseason Poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2139104):

1. USC (60/65)
2. Texas
3. Tennessee
4. Michigan
5. LSU
6. Ohio State
7. Chokelahoma
8. Virginia Tech
9. Miami
10. Florida
11. Iowa
12. Louisville
13. Georgia
14. Florida State
15. Purdue
16. Auburn
17. Texas A&M
18. Boise State
19. California
20. Arizona State
21. Texas Tech
22. Boston College
23. Pittsburgh
24. Fresno State
25. Virginia

I personally ranked this, because the article just listed them as they went along; didn't have a real LIST for goodness sake's. So if something messed, correct me please.

Sox fan in Tex
08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Oklahoma isn't good enough to be #7, they lost too many key players. And all this hype for the University of Texas, happens every year at this time. People can start them out at number two, but after that first game in Columbus against Ohio State the people who ranked the AP poll will realize they were wrong.

CrespoBlows
08-20-2005, 09:21 PM
They still got Adrian Peterson, and they did land the number 4 recruit in the nation last year at QB, so they'll be OK.

ORS
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I think this may be the first year in a while that Texas isn't overrated in the preseason polls.

They have a good O-line with college football's most exciting player, Vince Young, taking the snaps. Yeah I know Reggie Bush can dazzle, but he doesn't touch the ball every play.

Nine returning starters on D with ex-Auburn defensive coordinator calling the shots means that they will be experienced, fast, and get after the ball with some aggressive schemes.

Their annual speed bump against Oklahoma may have a different result since the Sooners lost their signal caller and two wideouts, allowing the D to focus on stopping Peterson.

BSL63087
08-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Nice... BC ranked #22 in the pre-season polls. Should be interesting to see what they can do in the ACC.

YankeeDoodle
08-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Vince Young is raw. He's got a lot to prove - he's made out to be the "next Michael Vick", and it's not even close at this point. I don't think Mack Brown has beaten Chokelahoma once in his career. He brings in huge booster money; that's why he's there. If NU were to lose to OU that many times, that coach isn't going to be there for long. As much I don't want the Sooners to win, it's hilarious watching Brown's reaction on the sideline. :lol:

Non-conference scheduling is so weak nowadays. Nobody wants to risk losing a game.