PDA

View Full Version : Odalis Perez

Zenny
06-07-2004, 06:31 PM
By no means are the Dodgers out of the NL West race, so Odalis Perez seems likely to remain with his current team for the time being. But, the young left-hander is a free-agent once the season is over and he would reportedly love to pitch in Boston.

Here are some quotes that my good buddy from NetSports, Steve, enlightened us with the other day:

From the LA Times:

want to pitch at Fenway because I haven't pitched there yet and I think it would be fun," Perez said. "It would be very nice to pitch in all the stadiums in baseball. The tradition there is good and I want to pitch there."

The move also puts Perez (3-3) on schedule to pitch June 16 against the Baltimore Orioles, meaning the left-hander would miss the Dodgers' first regular-season series against the New York Yankees the following weekend at Dodger Stadium.

"I don't think there's any difference between the teams," Perez said of the Yankees and Red Sox. "They're two good teams."

But does Boston excite Perez more than Toronto?

"Of course," he said. "It's a good-hitting team."

Perez said his request was not an indication that he was asking to become the Dodgers' ace, "because Nomo's a good pitcher, Weaver's the same way. I just want to have the opportunity to pitch every five days no matter what. I'm not going to go there and say I'm the ace."

Perez said Fenway's Green Monster, the towering left-field wall that has inflated the earned-run averages of many left-handed pitchers, did not intimidate him.

"If you keep the ball down, if you pitch with command, it doesn't matter if it's 240 [feet] to the left-field wall," he said.

From a 2002 SI Article about the connection between Sox pitching coach Dave Wallace and Perez:

And give credit to Dodgers executive and pitching guru Dave Wallace, who is as valuable to that franchise as scout Gene Michael is to the Yankees. Wallace pushed for Los Angeles to trade for Odalis Perez and to ignore opportunities to deal Eric Gagne. Wallace also deserves credit for Hideo Nomo getting the bite back in his forkball.

There are a couple of factors going into this. First, we snagged Dave Wallace from the Dodger organization. It was D-Dub that taught Perez to truly pitch and got consistency and control from Perez. I'm sure that Perez knows this and he could take his game to the next level if re-united with his former mentor. Second, the Dominican factor. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez are here for at least three more years. Pedro Martinez may also be in Boston for another three (maybe). Third, he's not scared of the Monster. Any lefty with the balls to stand up to the Monster should at least get the opportunity to pitch here for a little while.

I like Perez. He wouldn't be rediculously expensive and would be great in Fenway if he can get consistent control, like he has done this season.

yeszir
06-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Here's another article from the L.A. Daily News:

PHOENIX -- The Dodgers have juggled their pitching rotation for two upcoming series, at Toronto and Boston, a decision made partly in deference to staff ace Odalis Perez's stated desire to pitch at Fenway Park. Under the previous arrangement, Perez would not have started any of the three games against the Red Sox.

No. 5 starter Jose Lima, who was to have started Saturday in Boston, now will start Wednesday night in Toronto. That will push Kazuhisa Ishii back to Thursday and Perez back to Friday night's opener at Fenway.

Perez said he isn't deterred by the so-called Green Monster, the short left-field wall that makes Fenway unusually perilous for left-handers.

"I want to pitch there because (the Red Sox) are a good team and that's one of the oldest stadiums in baseball," Perez said. "I'm not worried about pitching there. I have pitched in Colorado and (Arizona). If you keep the ball down and pitch with command, it doesn't matter if it's 240 feet to the left-field wall. I just have to go out there and pitch, that's all."

Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said there are other reasons for the switch.

"It's not totally Odalis wanting to pitch in Boston and us saying OK, let's do it," Tracy said. "That's not how it works here. You have to look at what it does for subsequent games. The way we have it worked out, it works for the whole staff. It gives Ishii, Perez and (Jeff) Weaver an extra day, which I think can be very beneficial this time of year."

The tradeoff is that Perez now is lined up to miss a three-game series with the New York Yankees the following weekend at Dodger Stadium.

"(But) I don't think there's any difference between the two teams," Perez said.

Getting close: Dodgers reliever Paul Shuey, who has been on the 15-day disabled list all season with a ruptured tendon in his right thumb, will throw early batting practice Wednesday in Toronto. It is the most significant step yet in his rehabilitation program.

"It is a big step after throwing all the bullpens I have," Shuey said. "But I'm not excited yet. I won't be excited until I have an umpire back there."

That won't happen for a while yet. Shuey is still at least a week or two from starting a minor league rehab assignment.

Shuey said he has scrapped the slider he was working on. That is partly because he had trouble mastering it and partly because the thumb has healed enough that he now can throw some form of a curveball, although it really is more of a "slurve." Shuey will continue developing the changeup he has been trying to incorporate since he began throwing on the side.

DH plans: With the Dodgers set to open their interleague schedule Tuesday night in Toronto, infielder Olmedo Saenz will get the first chance to fill the designated hitter role. But Tracy might use a different DH in each of the six games depending on how certain hitters match up with the opposing starting pitcher.

Jose Hernandez, Jayson Werth and Robin Ventura will probably each get at least one game as DH, a position Tracy, who has spent his entire career as a player, coach and manager in the National League, isn't particularly fond of.

"Going back to when I started managing (in the minors) in 1987, the intrigue for me has been manipulating a core of players in a National League environment," Tracy said. "In the (AL), you're making all the decisions yourself. In the (NL), some are made for you. If you're down a run in the late innings and the pitcher's spot comes up, you know he's coming out."
Perez really surprised me (as he did many other people I'm sure) two or three years ago with that breakout season. He hasn't been as dominant since, but he certainly would make a great number 2 or 3 starter on the sox. Better than lowe at least. :angry:

YanksHater213
06-07-2004, 06:42 PM
he would be a great addition. im assuming they would want youkilis or dominique for him though along with other players

Zenny
06-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by YanksHater213@Jun 7 2004, 06:42 PM
he would be a great addition. im assuming they would want youkilis or dominique for him though along with other players
He would be a free agent. The only thing that we would potentially have to give up would be compensation draft picks for next year's draft. No trade necessary, probably because the Dodgers wouldn't trade him.

YanksHater213
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
i was just saying if they were to trade him. yes there is little possibility in that but that is who they would want

GrassInZimsTeeth
06-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by YanksHater213@Jun 7 2004, 07:20 PM
i was just saying if they were to trade him. yes there is little possibility in that
They were trying to ship him to Baltimore earlier this season. Rumors about Perez for Jay Gibbons.

roary
06-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Wow. I want him to pitch in Boston after last night's game. He was spot on. Very impressive I must say.

Yanks Own
06-26-2004, 09:24 PM
he's a good pitcher and is improving, would look better in stripes though :D

Zenny
06-27-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Yanks Own@Jun 26 2004, 10:24 PM
he's a good pitcher and is improving, would look better in stripes though :D
Oh yeah, that's why he's said he wants to pitch in Boston with Dave Wallace next season, you stupid motherfucker.

YanksHater213
06-27-2004, 04:48 AM
he didnt say he WOULD go to new york, but rather he WOULD LIKE to see him in new york

yeszir
06-27-2004, 09:22 AM
haha, yankee hatred overruling reading ability there Zenny?

Zenny
06-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by yeszir@Jun 27 2004, 10:22 AM
haha, yankee hatred overruling reading ability there Zenny?
Me no spaka da good Inglish wen da Yankez iz around. :lol: