PDA

View Full Version : Yao Signs 5 year Extension

yankeessuck013
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
The Rockets have reportedly locked up center Yao Ming through the 2010-2011 season. According to the Houston Chronicle, Ming has reached agreement with the Rockets on a five-year extension worth approximately $81 million. Ming has career averages of over 16 points and eight rebounds per game and has missed only two contests in three seasons.

Manny Goes Boom
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
The Rockets have reportedly locked up center Yao Ming through the 2010-2011 season. According to the Houston Chronicle, Ming has reached agreement with the Rockets on a five-year extension worth approximately $81 million. Ming has career averages of over 16 points and eight rebounds per game and has missed only two contests in three seasons.

This is huge for the Rockets. They are making a point that they aren't just playing to make the playoffs, and that they want to win. I don't know how much longer Tracy McGrady's contract is (I assume at least a couple years left) but now they can concentrate on getting a point guard, and making themselves championship contenders. Big statement by Rockets organization, not like they scared me anyway, but at least the thought of Yao on the Lakers is gone, because who knows what Phil Jackson could have done with Yao. He sure helped Shaq develop into the most dominant force in the NBA.

redsoxrules
09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
nothing against the guy but their overpaying him i dont think hes worth that much

Sox fan in Tex
09-03-2005, 11:36 AM
redsoxrules, from the standpoint of the way Yao has been playing, they are overpaying him. But I really like this guys future in the NBA. I'm really liking the Rockets' chances these next couple years to win it all.

BrentD22
09-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Yao is just slightly better than Celtic alumni Dino Radja. Get real they paid him that money because he brings in money. Ya he's an OK player, but not as good as that money. Yao has a fan base larger than any other NBA player. His home country follows him, purchases merchandise, ect. Thats why they paid him the big money, they make more off of Yao than that measly 15 mill a year or whatever!

Manny Goes Boom
09-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Yao is just slightly better than Celtic alumni Dino Radja. Get real they paid him that money because he brings in money. Ya he's an OK player, but not as good as that money. Yao has a fan base larger than any other NBA player. His home country follows him, purchases merchandise, ect. Thats why they paid him the big money, they make more off of Yao than that measly 15 mill a year or whatever!

No doubt, he makes them more money then they will pay him, but hes better than an OK player. He's 7'6", and averaged 18 points, and around 9 boards (should be WAY higher but hes soft IMO) He has MAD potential and could become a fantastic player in the NBA (Not Shaq-esque, but very very good.) Like I said before, I like this move (from a basketball perspective). I think that if they get a pass first point guard, they will be VERY dangerous.

BrentD- Dino Radja??? You think Yao's only barely better than Radja...? :lol:

Sox Fan in Tex- Who'd the Rockets draft? A PG? I forgot...maybe I'm underestimating them. :dunno:

empirestrikesback26
09-03-2005, 11:50 PM
A 7'5'' softie.

Manny Goes Boom
09-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I personally am not worried when the my team plays him because he's not tough, and because Amare Stoudemire is a BEAST!!! But IF (extremely large if) he gets tougher he will be even better. Not like Shaq but a nice center in the NBA.

Sox fan in Tex
09-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Sox Fan in Tex- Who'd the Rockets draft? A PG? I forgot...maybe I'm underestimating them.

Yeah, they drafted PG Luther Head from Illinois with the 24th pick. He was a first team Big Ten performer, but I'm pretty sure his junior year he was suspended a couple times so I don't know if he'll be a discipline problem or not. He can definitely play, though.

Manny Goes Boom
09-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, they drafted PG Luther Head from Illinois with the 24th pick. He was a first team Big Ten performer, but I'm pretty sure his junior year he was suspended a couple times so I don't know if he'll be a discipline problem or not. He can definitely play, though.

Fantastic talent, and a great shooter. I was so psyched to see who the Suns would draft I sorta didn't pay attention to many things, except where the players I WANTED the Suns to draft went (Warrick 19 to Memphis, Granger 21 to Indiana). I wasn't in any analyzing mood, after the trade (Q, and Nate Robinson to NYK for Kurt Thomas :rant: ) but him, T-Mac and Yao is a good trio, but I'll take Nash, Matrix and Amare :D

empirestrikesback26
09-04-2005, 12:45 AM
BTW- anyone interested in making a fantasy B ball league when registration starts?

BrentD22
09-04-2005, 08:15 AM
BrentD- Dino Radja??? You think Yao's only barely better than Radja...? :lol:

I was kinda joking at first, but look at this!

Radja stats over his 4 year career w/BOS
16.7PPG, 1.3BPG, .9SPG, 8.4RPG - Thats not to shabby!

Ming's stats over his 3 year career w/HOU
16.4PPG, 1.9BPG, .36SPG, 8.5RPG - Less points PG, not many more BPG, less SPG, basiclly the same RPG!

Now I completely understand that Yao is just starting his career in the NBA and will improve (maybe). I'd also have to remind you that Dino Radja started his NBA career late in life comparitively. If Radja started his career in the NBA when Yao did, Radja may well have better life time stats than Yao ever will have.

It's funny I was just kidding at first... Face it people Yao isn't all that good of a player and his value is in the fact that he will make a lot more money than he'll cost!

Ray10
09-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Not surprised I didn't think the Rockets would let go of Ming. He's too much of a dominant player and will be for many years to come.