PDA

View Full Version : Alejandro Machado

yankeessuck013
09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Machado's first major league at-bat was 9 pitches, where he grounded to third but it went very well. I liked the way he fouled off pitches when he got two strikes on him. He doesn't seem to have a lot of power but he seems to be pretty quick. I'm glad we added him.

Varitek33
09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I was happy to see him come in for Kapler last night.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
I was happy to see him come in for Kapler last night.
You were happy Gabe got hurt ??

MC Hammer
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I think he just ment that he was happy it was him that came off the bench.

26 to 6
09-15-2005, 01:56 PM
You were happy Gabe got hurt ??
I dont think thats exactly what he meant. I think he meant that it was nice to see him get the playing time yesterday because Gabe got hurt, not that he wanted Gabe to get hurt so Machado could get playing time.

To quote a very generous man, you're logic just sucks on this one.

CrespoBlows
09-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Machado isn't a great player. He'll be a good utility player, but you're nuts if you think he can play everyday.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I dont think thats exactly what he meant. I think he meant that it was nice to see him get the playing time yesterday because Gabe got hurt, not that he wanted Gabe to get hurt so Machado could get playing time.

To quote a very generous man, you're logic just sucks on this one.
Somestimes there's a faulty circuit. Just wanted to make sure we didn't have another ( what was that banned girl's name ) fan of players getting hurt. I got the general gist of what he meant. I just don't think the kid is really ready for prime time in a play-off race. I'd rather have worked him in.

26 to 6
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I doubt the Sox plan on playing him every day, they just saw yesterday as an opprotunity to get a young guy in a game.

CrespoBlows
09-15-2005, 02:21 PM
I doubt the Sox plan on playing him every day, they just saw yesterday as an opprotunity to get a young guy in a game.

I doubt, I asked for your opinion.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
That's just rude.

26 to 6
09-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I doubt I was replying to your post. If you look at the post above mine made by SFoC it is clear that that was the post that was being replied to.

Soxfan#1
09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Isn't stern available?

riverside sluggers
09-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Isn't stern available?

his shoulder was hurt in triple A pawtucket, for now he can just pinch run

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
his shoulder was hurt in triple A pawtucket, for now he can just pinch run
Which means you loose up 3 players to use him ( the player you take out, Stern, and a defensive player, if needed ).

ORS
09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Benches are deep in Sept, and Stern would be pinch running for one of 5 regulars, Ortiz (not on the field), Nixon, Ramirez, Varitek, or Olerud/Millar. The only case where we get worse defensively is when Olerud comes out and Millar or Petagine comes in. Nixon and Manny can be replaced with fielders that have better range (Hyzdu or Machado...once he's healthy enough to play the field, Stern isn't too shabby), and Mirabelli is a capable replacement for Tek. I know we lose some thunder in our lineup, but I doubt Tito will be doing this unless he feels it is for the tying or winning run.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Benches are deep in Sept, and Stern would be pinch running for one of 5 regulars, Ortiz (not on the field), Nixon, Ramirez, Varitek, or Olerud/Millar. The only case where we get worse defensively is when Olerud comes out and Millar or Petagine comes in. Nixon and Manny can be replaced with fielders that have better range (Hyzdu or Machado...once he's healthy enough to play the field, Stern isn't too shabby), and Mirabelli is a capable replacement for Tek. I know we lose some thunder in our lineup, but I doubt Tito will be doing this unless he feels it is for the tying or winning run.
But that's kind of my point. The Sox didn't fully expend their roster. But most of our opponents did. If its the tying run, we could sorely miss that thunderous bat he replaced if the game does go to extra innings. If it does go to extra innings, then our bench which has been greatly reduced ( its already weak now, due to lack of full call -ups, injury to Gabe, Stern being one dimensional, etc. ) our chances have been greatly reduced. Besides, although he has good raw speed, he is not a proven base stealer ( at least not in the Bigs ).

ORS
09-16-2005, 04:32 PM
And, he has already proven to be a little inept on the basepaths, but the situation dictates the move.

If he's coming in to PR, it will be for only one of the players mentioned. Whoever replaces him at first won't have to be PH for if the game goes into extras, and there are some capable bats if we need to PH for the Papi/Manny replacement.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm in agreement , with the exception of " some capable bats if we need to PH for the Papi/Manny replacement ". Anyone would be a downgade for those two, but who exactly are you thinking of ?
Doug is having a bad year offensively, Penagrine ? ( jury is still out ) , if we're playing our best line-up the really isn't much left.

CrespoBlows
09-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm in agreement , with the exception of " some capable bats if we need to PH for the Papi/Manny replacement ". Anyone would be a downgade for those two, but who exactly are you thinking of ?
Doug is having a bad year offensively, Penagrine ? ( jury is still out ) , if we're playing our best line-up the really isn't much left.

Not really, he's got a .709 OPS, and he's a backup catcher.

Compare his .709 OPS to Flaherty's .418 OPS.
Chad Moeller's .629 OPS
Kevin Cash .599 OPS

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Not really, he's got a .709 OPS, and he's a backup catcher.

Compare his .709 OPS to Flaherty's .418 OPS.
Chad Moeller's .629 OPS
Kevin Cash .599 OPS
First, he would definately be a downgrade for Pappi / Manny ( which was part of the discussion in the thread ), second, that figure is somewhat irrelevant since he would be pinch hitting ( want to look at his pinch hitting stats ? ) , third, he's slow as hell ( he could be Olerud and maybe Penagrine ).

ORS
09-16-2005, 05:20 PM
SFOC, nobody wants to see Manny or Papi taken out of the game to be PH for by Mirabelli, Petagine, Millar, or Youk (I list them because they are the best bats on the bench with our normal starting lineup), but like I said, the situation would dictate the move. If we need one to tie or one to win and the game is into the eight inning, then PR'ing Stern is the smart move. Yes, there are risks involved, but that is the play to win the game.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I understand the logic. I guess I've stuck Stern in my own classification as the token "speed" guy ( ala Jackson, Saddler, et al ). Basically, I'm totally unimpressed with the guy.

Soxfan#1
09-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Doug was great in the first half but has fell.

CrespoBlows
09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
First, he would definately be a downgrade for Pappi / Manny ( which was part of the discussion in the thread ), second, that figure is somewhat irrelevant since he would be pinch hitting ( want to look at his pinch hitting stats ? ) , third, he's slow as hell ( he could be Olerud and maybe Penagrine ).

Irrelvant, Irrelvant, Irrelvant

He's a backup catcher, whose job is to only catch Tim Wakefield. He only gets 150 AB's a year. He's not supposed to go out and hit 50 HR's, as long as he's catching the knuckleball, he's done his job.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan on Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrespoBlows
Irrelvant, Irrelvant, Irrelvant

He's a backup catcher, whose job is to only catch Tim Wakefield. He only gets 150 AB's a year. He's not supposed to go out and hit 50 HR's, as long as he's catching the knuckleball, he's done his job.

Exactly. Your point is irrelevent since the discussion was his use as a pinch hitter. I like Doug as a back-up, but that has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

CrespoBlows
09-17-2005, 09:31 AM
I read "bad offensive year" and I commented on that.

Sox Fan on Cape
09-17-2005, 09:39 AM
I read "bad offensive year" and I commented on that.
No problem. We're saying about the same thing anyways.