PDA

View Full Version : People like this shouldn't be allowed into Fenway

CalvnHobs6
06-10-2004, 05:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-i...ov=ap&type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-injuredfan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Woman seriously injured by foul ball at Fenway Park cannot sue Red Sox, appeals court rules

June 10, 2004
BOSTON (AP) -- A woman who was seriously injured by a foul ball at Fenway Park has no grounds to sue because she assumed a risk by attending the baseball game, a state appeals court ruled.

The Red Sox ``had no duty to warn the plaintiff of the obvious danger of a foul ball being hit into the stands,'' the court said Wednesday in blocking Jane Costa's personal injury lawsuit from going to trial.

The three-member panel said that even someone with scant knowledge of baseball should realize that ``a central feature of the game is that batters will forcefully hit balls that may go astray from their intended direction.''

Costa, who was injured in 1998, sued the team for $486,909 in lost wages and medical expenses. She had been sitting about 20 rows behind the Red Sox dugout when Boston's Darren Lewis hit the foul ball.

Costa had to undergo reconstructive surgery that installed eight plates in her face, said her lawyer, James R. Burke.

According to court documents filed by Burke, an expert calculated that the ball was traveling about 90 mph when it struck Costa about 141 feet from home plate.

``I'm more than angry. I was in critical condition,'' Costa told The Boston Globe. She said Red Sox management and players are ``bickering over millions and millions of dollars to hit a ball, and when one of their fans get hurt, they don't care.''

According to Red Sox officials, three to four dozen patrons each season are injured by foul balls.

Stupid wench. :P

YanksHater213
06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
wow, must be some rich prick who went to a game unwillingly with a business partner. she just doesnt get that that is a part of the game

Zenny
06-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Wow, Darren Lewis. That's a blast from the past. :lol:

YanksHater213
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
yea, anyone else remember the thing he did with his lips...

why do i remember this...

yeszir
06-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by YanksHater213@Jun 10 2004, 09:14 PM
yea, anyone else remember the thing he did with his lips...

why do i remember this...
Calvnhobs and I call him something along the lines of "lip-man". He was crazy with those damn lips of his.

CalvnHobs6
06-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Haha yeah, that was a long time ago. His mouth was always friggin moving.

Old Hoss
06-11-2004, 01:51 AM
That woman was more than likely extremely ugly to begin with and just wanted the Sox to pay for "prettying her up". Hey, she should be happy as she now has a nice set of matching plates............in her face. :D

Chrupzilla
06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
That story is ridiculous. That woman needs to learn to catch. She turns this around and blames the Sox?

Don't go to a baseball game unless you know how to put your damn hands up in self-defense at the least.

element1151
06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
That is just disgusting.

If something bad happens to anyone in america they just decide to sue.

Makes me want to throw up.