PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Browns Injury

YanksHater213
06-11-2004, 06:11 PM
NEW YORK -- Yankees pitcher Kevin Brown will be treated for a strained lower back and was listed as day-to-day Friday after hurting himself earlier in the week.

Brown had an MRI exam, CT scan and X-rays on Thursday. The tests did not reveal a herniated disk, the team said.

Brown was forced to leave Wednesday night's start against Colorado after two ineffective innings because of stiffness. He said he felt as if a "steel rod" was in his back.

New York has the best record in the majors, but the health and depth of its rotation remains the Yankees' biggest concern.

Brown, a 39-year-old right-hander, has gone on the disabled list six times in the previous five years. He's had back surgery and was beset by back problems before the Yankees got the six-time All-Star in an offseason trade with Los Angeles.

Brown is 7-1 with a 4.13 ERA in 13 starts. Four of those wins came against last-place Tampa Bay.

"He's been erratic. He was a lot of more consistent early on, but even those starts early on, he wasn't happy with them," manager Joe Torre said after Thursday's 10-4 win over the Rockies.

"In his mind, he's letting us down. We sort of made light of it early in the year when he was winning those games and he wasn't happy with himself and we made a joke of it. But evidently there was some seriousness to it on his part because, again, he has last year to compare himself to, we don't."

Torre said that if Brown was unavailable, his first option would be to use Tanyon Sturtze.

Sturtze is 1-0 with a 4.15 ERA in five relief appearances over 13 innings since the Yankees acquired him from Los Angeles on May 15.

heres the link- http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1820106

knowing Brown, day to day would be about a month or 2

GreenMonsterSeats
06-11-2004, 07:33 PM
sounds as though Mussina might be hurt as well.

htttp://www.bostonsportsnation.com

YanksHater213
06-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonsterSeats@Jun 11 2004, 07:33 PM
sounds as though Mussina might be hurt as well.

htttp://www.bostonsportsnation.com
mussina was pulled with groin tightness. the yankees say it was as a precaution

Old Hoss
06-12-2004, 12:41 AM
I think Mussina was hurt when Derek Jeter got too agressive with him and yanked his..........ahhh, you know the story.

YanksHater213
06-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Old Hoss@Jun 12 2004, 12:41 AM
I think Mussina was hurt when Derek Jeter got too agressive with him and yanked his..........ahhh, you know the story.
haha, that seems to happen a lot in yankee land

RedSoxRooter
06-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Oy.. about 2 more weeks till the next Sox/Yanks series and the Moose and Brown are hurt. Nomar's here and Nixon should be back. Lowe's coming around and Williamson is too. I can't wait! :)

yagmaster
06-12-2004, 01:28 PM
We all knew that the Yankees would get hot sooner or later, but I didn't think they'd be this good. Hopefully, that these two injuries coupled with the returns of our injured stars can cause another shift at the top of the American League East.

Also, this is no new story for Brown. The Yankees had to expect that he'd be injured at one point in the season.

yeszir
06-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Jun 12 2004, 01:32 PM
Oy.. about 2 more weeks till the next Sox/Yanks series and the Moose and Brown are hurt. Nomar's here and Nixon should be back. Lowe's coming around and Williamson is too. I can't wait! :)
Indeed. Williamson was warming up in the bullpen for an inning last night. That was a sight for sore eyes.

And the yankees look like the are running into trouble here. There two best pitchers (arguably) are injured. We need to capitalize now.

Pedro
06-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I doubt we'll be able to gain all that much ground... our workhorse is in pain. :(

yeszir
06-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Pedro@Jun 12 2004, 11:17 PM
I doubt we'll be able to gain all that much ground... our workhorse is in pain. :(
:(. But welcome to the site though!