PDA

View Full Version : Schilling's Ankle Injury

yeszir
06-13-2004, 10:04 AM
So, we havent had a topic on it yet, although it has been mentioned. Our current ace is in pain. The good news is that he won't need surgery (as of now at least) until the end of the year. The bad news is that he may be sidelined 2-4 weeks. Here's an article from the Herald:
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=31710 (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=31710)

Some snippets from the article:

The Red Sox [stats, schedule] may have to sideline Curt Schilling [stats, news] for 2-4 weeks if the pitcher's aching right ankle does not begin to show improvement, but there is no reason to believe the veteran pitcher is facing inevitable surgery.

Schilling is suffering from a bruise of the talus bone in his ankle, a condition that can be treated in a variety of ways.

``The concern is, are we masking or continuing the problem?'' Morgan said. ``That's why we are continuing to monitor with MRI . . . (but) the best way is watching the symptoms and making sure he's not in more pain, or limping or swelling.''

Let's hope he turns out O.K. :(

CalvnHobs6
06-13-2004, 10:09 AM
My opinion: why give him the option to aggrivate it more? I'd say if he's going to sit 2-4 weeks, he should do it ASAP so that a) it doesn't get worse and B) so that we have him strong when we really need him - later in the season. As much as I don't like Kim, he's coming back from Korea and is due to be activated on Wednesday, and if these 3 weeks in Korea maybe helped return him to form, the lack of Schilling might not hurt us as bad as we think. The fact is they have to drug him before everygame, and even that's not enough to ease the pain when he throws his fastball. As much as I love Schilling and want him pitching, it's better for him and the team if he sits now.

The sox have said they're going to pitch him against Colorado then take an MRI. Fine, do it, and if he's feels okay and not in pain and his ankle doesn't look worse then his last MRI, then I take back what I just said.

YanksHater213
06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
agree. when would you rather have him rest it. now or later. ill take now

JMDurron
06-13-2004, 03:36 PM
The games now count every bit as much as the games later in the season. I'm in favor of whatever method has him missing the fewest games, at any point in the season. What I don't understand is why you let him pitch in Colorado (where the air messes with the movement of pitches AND the pitcher's endurance) before letting him rest. Colorado strikes me as the PERFECT time of game to let him sit out and rest. Schilling's fierce enough of a competitor to tear himself to shreds before shutting it down.

roary
06-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Right. Why put a pitcher, whose condition you're unsure of, in a position to pitch in the worst pitchers park in baseball? Let him rest a bit, look into the injury more, and let him have a chance to pitch at other ballparks.

yeszir
06-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Rest him now I say. Sure the games now count just as much as they do in the future, but I'd rather have a healthy schilling in September who missed two weeks in June than a hurt schilling in September who got to pitch twice in June.

nomar
06-13-2004, 06:02 PM
I'd say, give him another start, see what happens. I think it's most likely that this ankle injury will go away and that we're all making such a big deal about nothing.

BTW, why is it OK to pamper Schilling but not Pedro or Nomar?

CalvnHobs6
06-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by nomar@Jun 13 2004, 07:02 PM
Umm, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Schilling isn't being pampered...his MRI clearly shows he'll need surgery, what the management is worrying about is aggrivating his injury. So first off it isn't pampering, it's being careful. As for nomar and pedro not receiving "pampering," what more pampering do they need? Nomar is just off his injury, and giving him the day off now every few days is "pampering" enough. And I haven't seen Pedro do much this year to deserve pampering. I believe him and nomar are in their contract years, and that instead of asking for pampering, they should be asking to play everyday, and give it their all, maybe impress the team enough to give them the money they're asking for.

PS... schilling is a god, and therefore deserves some pampering.

TheFens
06-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by nomar@Jun 13 2004, 07:02 PM
1) We aren't pampering schilling, he has an injury that is potentially serious. Explain how we are pampering him.
2) Nomar and Pedro get assloads of attention. How do we not pamper them? Do we just say "tough shit" and make them deal with it? Throughout their Red Sox careers they've gotten the attention they deserve, and this is what Schilling is getting.

:rolleyes:

peskypole
06-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Nomar, I see what you mean about this, but I disagree. As Calvin said, Schilling's injury is pretty serious. Also, Pedro's arm needs some rest and Nomar's injury needed time.

Zenny
06-13-2004, 10:32 PM
If Schill goes on the DL, rumor has it that top prospect Abe Alvarez or semi-good prospect Chris Smith would be called up from AA to start. Alvarez is the more polished pitcher and has had more success to go along with the Tom Glavine upside.

yawkeyway
06-15-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm really nervous for his next start. If he goes down, it would be severely unfortunate, especially since Lowe and Pedro are starting to come around.

Pedro
06-15-2004, 06:29 PM
There are other reasons to worry about his next start other than that he could possibly get hurt. His career ERA at Coors Field is well over 5.

roary
06-15-2004, 07:27 PM
If Tito insists on pitching schill tomorrow, the best we can all do is pray that he doesnt get hurt. I'd consider it alright if he got shelled and managed not to get hurt. That's better than him going 7 scoreless, only to find out that he'll miss the remainder of the season. Fingers crossed.

JMDurron
06-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by roary@Jun 15 2004, 07:27 PM
If Tito insists on pitching schill tomorrow, the best we can all do is pray that he doesnt get hurt. I'd consider it alright if he got shelled and managed not to get hurt. That's better than him going 7 scoreless, only to find out that he'll miss the remainder of the season. Fingers crossed.
Agreed. Besides, in Coors, even Pokey's a slugger! We can win it for him whether he brings his A game or not.

roary
06-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, it all comes down to tonight. I'm not too optimistic about it though.

yeszir
06-16-2004, 09:31 PM
I cant tell if his ankle is bothering him or not in this game tonight. We'll have to hear the post game report I guess.

Zenny
06-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Well, Theo has stated that he has no problem calling up a talented player from AA is necessary, so I think the hints have been dropped.

TheFens
06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Zenny@Jun 16 2004, 10:32 PM
Well, Theo has stated that he has no problem calling up a talented player from AA is necessary, so I think the hints have been dropped.
And that prospect in question has often been hinted to be Abe Alvarez. While I'd rather see Schilling, we could do worse than AA. Hehe, his name is AA and he's in AA.

Zenny
06-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by TheFens+Jun 16 2004, 09:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheFens @ Jun 16 2004, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Zenny@Jun 16 2004, 10:32 PM
And that prospect in question has often been hinted to be Abe Alvarez. While I&#39;d rather see Schilling, we could do worse than AA. Hehe, his name is AA and he&#39;s in AA. [/b][/quote]
:lol: Chris Smith has also been mentioned as the potential call-up. The Sox may not want to start Alvarez&#39;s option clock just yet, so Smith could be the one instead. Smith strikes out a lot of people, but he doesn&#39;t have the quality or control the Alvarez provides.

JMDurron
06-17-2004, 10:58 PM
According to a source (Curt Schilling on SoSH), the pitcher in question (Curt Schilling) is going to make his next scheduled start. I take that as a good sign that the MRI turned out ok.

TheFens
06-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jun 17 2004, 11:58 PM
According to a source (Curt Schilling on SoSH), the pitcher in question (Curt Schilling) is going to make his next scheduled start. I take that as a good sign that the MRI turned out ok.
Bah, get back to me when you have a legitimate source. :P

All joking aside, I&#39;m not entirely sure what to think of this. Schilling saying he&#39;s going to pitch is nothing new. He&#39;s a horse, and he plays through anything his body throws at him. I&#39;m just worried that there&#39;s something there that he wants to play through. But maybe I&#39;m just paranoid. It certainly would be awesome if he was alright, because we need all the pitching we can get. But now he has no excuse for 7 runs in Colorado.

CalvnHobs6
06-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jun 17 2004, 11:58 PM
By contrast, according to Bostondirtdogs.com, who say they have an inside source, Schilling will sit out his Tuesday start. http://www.bostondirtdogs.com

yeszir
06-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Lol, ummm, schilling vs "inside source." Which is more genuine regarding Schilling?

JMDurron
06-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Isn&#39;t bostondirtdogs.com the same site that promised to shut itself down if the A-Rod trade didn&#39;t happen? :rolleyes:

Schilling posted on SoSH in direct response to a poster putting up the BDD.com rumor.

yawkeyway
06-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Wait, so what is really happening? Is he missing next tuesday or not? And BDD.com, although at times a source of good information, can be extremely misleading in its attempt to be the first to break a story.