PDA

View Full Version : Get A Grip Baseball Fans

BASEBALLSUX
10-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Listen, your sport sucks. I'm not going to try and convince any of you, because the typical baseball fan has his head so full of statistics he or she doesn't even see the obvious about the "sport".

But for kicks, here's a few reasons...

1. The glaring differences in payrolls make your MLB basically a 10 team league, taking away the prestige of winning a championship (and makes the Red Sox inability to win it for so many years that much worse) **yes, I know the Marlins won the World Series, there are always exceptions.

2. The best team in baseball can and often does lose to the worst team in baseball, meaning the worst team in baseball could win the World Series - making the game 85% luck and 15% skill... and the teams with the most money can best buy that 15%... (see reason #1)

3. The game is basically golf with some jogging - very slow - very long - very boring. Yes, I know, it's a thinking game (so is chess)

4. You play 162 games a season - making each individual game count for 1/162 of the season - thus making a game you attend mean almost nothing towards the chase for the playoffs (which of course is dominated by top payroll teams, see reason #1)

5. There is virtually no off season, leaving little desire for the new season to begin. (Absence makes the heart grow fonder!)

6. Players jump from team to team every year, thus there is little loyalty - players just chase the bucks and wear uniforms as part of their contracts.

7. Players get hurt running into padded walls, pull muscles running out of dugouts, and are held out of games if they "just don't feel well". Are you kidding me?

8. Physically, players of almost any other major sport can play baseball while most baseball players are not in good enough physical shape to play those other sports.

9. Baseball thrives on statistics, records, etc. Making it a game built for numbers-geeks.

10. Finally, baseball fans are encouraged to stand up, stretch, and sing a song near the end of each game... that alone is stupid.

Other things to consider:

-Girly team names: Cubs, Blue Jays, Angels (are you kidding me???)

-Baseball managers wear uniforms, why? Do basketball coaches sit on the bench in basketball sneakers, a jersey, and baggy shorts?

-When managers and umpires argue, they almost ALWAYS get in each other's face... why? You don't see anyone else argue like that in any sports - why do they have that "technique" in baseball???

-Baseball fans are fixated on history and tradition. Let it go already! Babe Ruth and Ted Williams are DEAD!!!

If I can just save ONE baseball fan, this post will be worth my time.

BASEBALL FEVER, CATCH IT... AND BECOME A GEEK.

jimmycarter05
10-06-2005, 05:28 AM
shut the hell up queer :harhar:

BASEBALLSUX
10-06-2005, 05:49 AM
shut the hell up queer :harhar:

Argue any of those points.

riverside sluggers
10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
-Baseball fans are fixated on history and tradition. Let it go already! Babe Ruth and Ted Williams are DEAD!!!

history happens each day ass, not just the Greats Ted Williams and Babe Ruth. Just look at the moments Big Papi has done that are starting to etch itself in history ;)

I was born a Red Sox fan and by God I will die a Red Sox fan

ksushi
10-06-2005, 07:55 AM
listen, guy, we choose to like baseball, we like it for the game not the payrolls. If you wanna talk about how each sport is run, the NBA sucks the NHL sucks and the MLB sucks but sport is sport. Watch it for the sport not the team payrolls. The fact that the worst team in baseball can beat the best team in baseball makes it exciting doesn't it? I dont know don't worry about what other people are into, worry about yourself

BrentD22
10-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I love baseball. I also love the numbers associated with sports. I love the intangibles of the various games. For instance I’m a big believer that Tom Brady is a great QB because of his poise in the pocket and in pressure situations, not because he is a big stat numbers guy. This past year David “Big Pappi” Ortiz didn’t break .300 hitting. So you say to yourself that they had a 30% chance of getting a hit. That’s where you go wrong there is so much more than that. The same way Tom Brady is a great QB Ortiz is a great hitter because of the intangibles. If David Ortiz continues his big hits in big games through-out his career he could go down as one of the games top clutch players. Not the best hitter avg. wise, but still one of the games top clutch hitters. That is what makes the game so interesting.
To be completely honest I didn’t disagree with a lot of what you said. The payrolls are too high, players do move teams way too often, and the seasons are very long. I’m glad the season is long. It gives me a chance to get to know our new players (cause we always get several). Players moving teams does suck when you lose a player, but it’s great when you pick-up a big free agent or even better when we pick-up a guy that has huge up side like Ortiz and he turns into a HUGE player for your team. No other league has as interesting of a trade deadline, no other league has as interesting off season with free agent pick ups. From a journalists point of view (a very small part of my fun job working with kids) baseball gives you so much to write about as does football, but no other sport really gives you much to talk, joke, and/or write about. The game is just the opposite from my life. My life is full of work, rushing, stress (well the game does have stress, but at least its fun stress). Baseballs season is long and slow (not rushed), games are long and mostly slow (not rushed), watching a game you don’t feel rushed you feel somewhat relaxed, not in a rush to get something done like real life and of course the game is full of amazing drama. In summer I often put the radio on while I am getting yard or house work done. The game in the background is just umm I don’t know relaxing. I generally don’t listen to every single pitch while I’m working, but something about the sounds of the game in the background just makes everything else less stressful and less work like.

The game has it all comedy, violence, relaxing moments, some stress (although fun), gives you time to BBQ some meat of some sort, and I believe the best part of baseball the drama moments last longer than 1.2 seconds as in the NBA they last several at bats.

HERE IS THE CALL:
Bottom of the 9th, down by 2, men on 1st and 3rd… Ortiz hits a double driving in Damon from 3rd, but the damb 3rd base coach held up Rentaria coming from 1st. Now we’re down by a single run. Does Manny suicide bunt the runner in from 3rd? No fucking way man. Manny pulls back and smack one to deep center field….. going, going, going, GONE Manny just being Manny wins the fucking game with a walk-off homerun!

Any other question about why we LOVE THIS GAME?

MC Hammer
10-06-2005, 09:02 AM
1. The glaring differences in payrolls make your MLB basically a 10 team league, taking away the prestige of winning a championship (and makes the Red Sox inability to win it for so many years that much worse) **yes, I know the Marlins won the World Series, there are always exceptions.
Yankees, Red Sox, Chisox, Indians, Twins, Angels, A's, Rangers, Braves, Phillies, Marlins, Mets, Cards, Astros, Padres ... thats nearly half the teams in the league. They all had/have a shot at the world series.

2. The best team in baseball can and often does lose to the worst team in baseball, meaning the worst team in baseball could win the World Series - making the game 85% luck and 15% skill... and the teams with the most money can best buy that 15%... (see reason #1)
Does any other sport play 100 games? Does any other sport play ever day? The answer to both questions is no. Over 162 games of course there are going to be a few upsets. BTW look at the NFL last year. The Dolphins, arguably the worst team in the league last year, beat the Patriots, arguably the best team. It's not like baseball is the only sport with upsets. Not to mention that luck is a big part of every sport, and every aspect of life.

3. The game is basically golf with some jogging - very slow - very long - very boring. Yes, I know, it's a thinking game (so is chess)
Really!? Do they throw golf balls at you 95mph? Do those golf balls curve, and cut, and slide, and sink, and rise? Are the golfballs occasionally thrown at golfers heads? Has a golfer ever been had a golfball hit back at him 100mph? Has a golfer ever had his legs taken? Ever been run over?

Jogging? I'll just suggest you look at Scott Posednik, Juan Pierre, and Chone Figgins to name a few.

BTW ask any athlete in any major sport and they will tell you that the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. Any athlete ... any sport.

4. You play 162 games a season - making each individual game count for 1/162 of the season - thus making a game you attend mean almost nothing towards the chase for the playoffs (which of course is dominated by top payroll teams, see reason #1)
Really!? If the Red Sox won 1 more of those meaningless games they'd be in Anehiem right now. Which completely changes the face of the playoffs. If the Indians won 1 more of those meaningless games and the Red Sox lost one more of them then the Red Sox might not even be in the playoffs. If the Phillies would have won 2 more of those meaningless games they'd be in the playoffs. If the Astros lost 1 of those meaningless games they wouldn't be in the playoffs.

5. There is virtually no off season, leaving little desire for the new season to begin. (Absence makes the heart grow fonder!)
Yeah, how dare baseball play a season long enough to decide what teams really deserve to be in the playoffs. They should really shorten whats worked for almost 100 years to make you happy.

6. Players jump from team to team every year, thus there is little loyalty - players just chase the bucks and wear uniforms as part of their contracts.
Uh ... have you not noticed that this happens in every single sport in this country?

7. Players get hurt running into padded walls, pull muscles running out of dugouts, and are held out of games if they "just don't feel well". Are you kidding me?
You realize that the careers of a great number of NFL running backs (including the likes of HOFers like Tony Dorset) were ended in the open field ... with no one around them ... just running.

8. Physically, players of almost any other major sport can play baseball while most baseball players are not in good enough physical shape to play those other sports.
Come again!? Just because David Wells can be a fat ass and still be successful doesn't mean that players are in good enough physical shape to play other sports. Have you seen NFL linemen?

9. Baseball thrives on statistics, records, etc. Making it a game built for numbers-geeks.
... number-geeks, or intelligent people? Are you just upset that you can't talk out of your ass? Upset that talking out of your ass can be proven wrong by one stat or another?

10. Finally, baseball fans are encouraged to stand up, stretch, and sing a song near the end of each game... that alone is stupid.
Aside from singing ... halftime, and intermission are the same thing.

Lets see here ... Miami Dolphins, NO Saints, Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Penguins. Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leaf, St. Louis Blues, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Washington Wizards, Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz, New Orleans Hornets ... just to name a few.

-Baseball managers wear uniforms, why? Do basketball coaches sit on the bench in basketball sneakers, a jersey, and baggy shorts?-
Has basketball, or football, or hockey been around since the 1900's?

-When managers and umpires argue, they almost ALWAYS get in each other's face... why? You don't see anyone else argue like that in any sports - why do they have that "technique" in baseball???
Uh yeah I see football coaches screaming at refs all the time. Same with basketball. And in hockey since the coaches can't get on the ice the Captains scream, and complain all the time.

Baseball fans are fixated on history and tradition. Let it go already! Babe Ruth and Ted Williams are DEAD!!!
Like we've never heard about a dead athletes in any other sports?

Hey for my money I'd much rather watch a sport were sweaty guys lay ontop of each other (see football, hockey).

SchillingIsTheNatural
10-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your concern. Strange that you would spend so much time on the internet going out of your way to place such a well thought out post strictly to make baseball fans aware there are flaws in the sport. If this is what you think about in your spare time......

you need a girl

bighurt
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I agree with all of you (except the baseball sux guy). I noticed that he doesn't say which
sport (if any) he/she likes. We enjoy it, we didn't ask for your opinion, and we don't
particularly care to hear your opinion. I'm a White Sox fan, and enjoy the give-and-take
with the Red Sox fans in this thread. Who's right, who's wrong is immaterial, because
we can share our opinions with each other in a civilized manner. Now, please go back
to the chess or bocce (or whatever your interest is) message board.

thee sox
10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
I bet he's a football fan...or he's some European ranting and raving about f?tbol.

If you're a football fan: Not saying I don't like football, but your, "The worst team in baseball can beat the best team in baseball." is ridiculous. In the NFL, you have to win your game or you're done. So it is much more possible for a fluke postseason in the NFL than the MLB. An 8-8 team can go on to win the Super Bowl, on the other hand an 81-81 team is probably not going to win the World Series...because you have to win more than 3 freakin' games.

yeszir
10-06-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html

BoSox84
10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
MC just took this ass clown to the wood shed, great post.

Master Shake
10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Don't feed the trolls! How come nobody has gotten the ban stick out yet?

Oh and for the record, your favorite sport sucks a big one.

See Red
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
To argue your first point about it's only a 10 team league or whatever and how only some teams have a chance... In, atleast, the past 25 years, the MLB has had the most different teams win their leagues respective Championship.

MLB - 17
NFL - 13
NHL- 11
NBA - 7

He Hate Me
10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
blah blah blah blah. I am a byproduct of the MTV generation and could never understand the beauty of the game that is baseball becuase quite frankly, I am a douchebag and a troll

Yes...yes you are

ksushi
10-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your concern.

you need a girl

Best analysis of that post so far. You, sir, are the man.

MC Hammer
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
MC just took this ass clown to the wood shed, great post.
Thank you. I was bored at school, and this thread allowed me to kill some time.

26 to 6
10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Don't feed the trolls! How come nobody has gotten the ban stick out yet?

Oh and for the record, your favorite sport sucks a big one.
I woulda thought he'd be banned already as well.

MC Hammer thanks for saving me the work of defending all of his points, I was going to until I saw your post...good job.

empirestrikesback26
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Just out of curosity BS(haha), whats your favorite sport?

Soxfan#1
10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
He can't answer cause he's banned. If we had BAM smailey I would do it.

MANNYHOF24
10-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow we do idiots like that even bother

MANNYHOF24
10-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Why**

JimBrown32
10-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Listen, your sport sucks. I'm not going to try and convince any of you, because the typical baseball fan has his head so full of statistics he or she doesn't even see the obvious about the "sport".

-Baseball managers wear uniforms, why? Do basketball coaches sit on the bench in basketball sneakers, a jersey, and baggy shorts?

Like we give a flying fuck what you idiots think of baseball, baseball is a tougher sport than any other, it used to be tougher. I think you're a mollycoddle, and as Ty Cobb says.
"Baseball is the red blooded sport for the red blooded man, so mollycoddles had better stay out, survival of the fittest." And this proves you're just what The Georgia Peach said, a mollycoddle. You can't play it and you are to big of a pussy to understand of play it, so you should stay the hell out. Survival of the fittest is right, you're a mollycoddle little bitch.

schillingouttheks
10-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Again, see other thread. Whatever though.

Sox Fan on Cape
10-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Like we give a flying fuck what you idiots think of baseball, baseball is a tougher sport than any other, it used to be tougher. I think you're a mollycoddle, and as Ty Cobb says.
"Baseball is the red blooded sport for the red blooded man, so mollycoddles had better stay out, survival of the fittest." And this proves you're just what The Georgia Peach said, a mollycoddle. You can't play it and you are to big of a pussy to understand of play it, so you should stay the hell out. Survival of the fittest is right, you're a mollycoddle little bitch.
This a-hole ( BASEBALLSUX) is a boring piece of crap. He has aleady been banned. Why are you bringing up a dead issue ?

Sizzlin22
10-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I want to become a boxer.

JimBrown32
10-16-2005, 03:31 PM
This a-hole ( BASEBALLSUX) is a boring piece of crap. He has aleady been banned. Why are you bringing up a dead issue ?

Because I wanted to say what I wanted to say, dumb shits are fun to talk down to.

Edit: I also want everyone to see how to take someone to the cleaners, like MC did, and what a jackass looks like, BASEBALLSUX. It's a good lesson, I also want to say that MC made his look like a complete dousche.

Sox Fan on Cape
10-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Because I wanted to say what I wanted to say, dumb shits are fun to talk down to.

Edit: I also want everyone to see how to take someone to the cleaners, like MC did, and what a jackass looks like, BASEBALLSUX. It's a good lesson, I also want to say that MC made his look like a complete dousche.
Okay, but MC Hammer is one of the masters. Whats the fun in tearing down someone that can't respond ? Aka shooting fish in a barrel.

ARod2212
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Damn, I still wish this dude was here. If you hadn't noticed, I like to rip on terrible points. Ah well, good job Hammer.

Sizzlin22
10-16-2005, 08:19 PM
I enoy ripping stupid posters so much. I hate it when I don't come and find some stupid already banned poster.

thewarriorscode12
10-17-2005, 09:24 PM

What about basketball? How many dominate teams are there in that?

You just contradicted yourself? You said first that too few teams win all the time, and then complain that the underdog wins to much? Get a grip.

Typical dumbass. " I want action. I want nothing but scoring nonstop. I can't settle down for more than 2 seconds.":rolleyes:

Wrong. Every game counts. Had the Sox won one more seemingly meaningless game during the dog days of summer they would have won the AL East and gotten the Angels in the first round.

Wrong again. I can't wait for the season to begin. And aside from that, the hot stove is exciting every year.

So what? All team sports are like that now.

No.

Wrong again. Baseball players are in great shape. And they have to hit 95 mph fastballs, not many other athletes could do that.

I'm not a "number-geek" in fact stats annoy me most of the time. I'm all about one stat: winning.

You're stupid.

No. How are blue jays "girly?" You're girly.

Why not?

Why not? It's more entertaining that way.

So, the Marine Corps is fixated on history and tradition, and don't you DARE try to knock my beloved Corps or I'll mess you up.;)

You're a geek.

element1151
10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
If this wasn't already in crap, I would close this......

JimBrown32
10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Okay, but MC Hammer is one of the masters. Whats the fun in tearing down someone that can't respond ? Aka shooting fish in a barrel.

Even if he wasn't banned, it would still be fish in a barrell, if I can't say it while he's here, I feel like kicking them while they're down, dumb shit comes if here with some dumb "facts" and doesn't expect people to talk shit on him while he's banned? Naw, I just felt like it, and I went and did it, it's easy and fun, if he comes back I'll go twice as hard. I can show someone up just as good as anyone, especially idiots like this.