PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams To Remain At Alcor

CalvnHobs6
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Daughter of Ted Williams drops case against Alcor

June 16, 2004
INVERNESS, Fla. (AP) -- The daughter and son-in-law of the late Ted Williams have ended their two-year fight to have the baseball great's remains removed from an Arizona cryonics lab.

Bobby-Jo and Mark Ferrell spent close to $100,000 battling Williams' estate and his son, John Henry Williams. But when the money ran out, so did their will to keep trying, and a settlement was signed Tuesday.

``It's over,'' their attorney, John Heer said Wednesday. ``There's just no way they could've afforded to litigate this thing.''

Heer said the end was apparent last month after Mike Piazza of the New York Mets offered to help the Ferrells get Williams' remains removed from the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz. When the attorney for Williams' estate warned that intervention could result in legal action, Piazza quickly backed away.

``That was a crushing blow for us,'' Heer said.

When Williams died in Inverness, Fla., on July 5, 2002, a dispute over his body immediately broke out between Bobby-Jo Ferrell and her half brother.

She said her father's last will detailed his request to be cremated and his ashes scattered in his favorite fishing waters off the Florida coast. But John Henry Williams later produced a scrawled note, allegedly written by his father from a hospital bed, in which the Hall of Famer agreed to cryonics preservation.

Alcor stores human bodies and severed heads in vats of liquid nitrogen in the hope that someday science will be able to bring the dead to life.

John Henry Williams died of leukemia in March and his body reportedly is also being stored at Alcor's facility.

The settlement also ends a lawsuit against the Ferrells. Williams' estate sued in May after they sued Alcor, demanding the company produce paperwork showing that Williams wanted his remains stored at the facility.

Heer said two nephews of Williams are continuing the suit against Alcor.

I didn't know that about Piazza, that's pretty cool. Anyway, there's not much they can do about it now. At least there's still a small fight for the body to be removed.

TheFens
06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Wow, I didnt know about Piazza doing that either. Kind gesture by him. It's a shame that Williams may have to stay frozen for good now. His son was a dumbass. Too bad their both dead now (williams because he's in a cryogenics lab, and his son because we cant yell at him anymore).

Someone should jump in, regardless of lawsuits, and fight this thing.

CalvnHobs6
06-16-2004, 02:04 PM
If I grow up to be mad rich with a ton of money to throw around, and Williams is still there, I'd get both of them unfrozen, do to Teddy whatever it said in his will to do, and then throw John Henry's body to a pack of wild hungry boars. That's right, boars.

yagmaster
06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
John Henry Williams is such an jerk. He also sucks at baseball, which he proved when he failed in his gift minors appearance.

yeszir
06-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by yagmaster@Jun 16 2004, 04:38 PM
John Henry Williams is such an jerk. He also sucks at baseball, which he proved when he failed in his gift minors appearance.
I wonder if anyone could find his career statistics.

yawkeyway
06-16-2004, 04:27 PM
This really is a shame. :( Last year, when this was a really really big deal and everyone was arguing over it, I remember thinking that he'd eventually be taken out of there. I guess I may end up being wrong.

Personally, I think that Ted wanted to be cremated, as his daughter had said. But rather, the wishes of his bastard son (who put a hitter.com hat on his father during the 99 all star game, remember that?) gets his wishes. And then he dies. Talk about Karma.

Old Hoss
06-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Hope the fire is extremely hot in the hell that John Henry Williams resides in now.