PDA

View Full Version : Reese's New Injury

yeszir
06-24-2004, 08:55 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...e_red_sox_fall/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/06/24/thumbs_down_reese_red_sox_fall/)

His thumb this time. Last time he tore this ligament, he missed the rest of the season, but the ever optimistic Bill Morgan says that he'll be back by the weekend.

"We can treat it nonsurgically," he said. "We can give him a few days, let the acute swelling come down, make sure his motion is good, and then we'll just work on protective mechanisms like taping, maybe partial splinting in his glove, and taping while he hits so that we can protect it for the next 4-6 weeks so that he doesn't reinjure it."
Sounds like we should expect less from Pokey if he comes back soon.

stocker323
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
I heard on SportsCenter that Pokey could be back as early as Saturday. I don't know how true this is seeing that they probably don't want to take any chances with him seeing that he's had this injury before.

YanksHater213
06-24-2004, 09:20 AM
even if he is back, bellhorn should still play

JMDurron
06-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Does anybody else not trust Dr. Morgan's estimations at all anymore? Nomar was supposed to be back by Opening Day at first.

elsrbueno
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Dr Morgan's estimates always seem optimistic.

Nobody likes to see players get hurt, but if there is a positive of this situation, its that Bellhorn is fully capable and deserving of playing every day. While not as good as Pokey with the glove (who is?), he has been better with the bat, and a solid all-around player.

The good thing is that the Sox don't have to (and shouldn't) rush Pokey back if it isn't necessary. Like every other player, I'd rather put him on the shelf for 2 weeks now than lose him for 2 months later.

The bad thing is that this weakens the bench. Cesar Crespo is the only other bench infielder......

Could we see Kapler playing third (as he did in spring training)?

sarasoxfan
06-24-2004, 11:28 AM
I think Crespo should be come a magician..Introducing CRESPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he could be good at that, becasue he stinks here.

Pokey....I hope he is back this weekend, he's a real gamer.....

I am being a typical redsox fan, by starting to get worried already. We just cant seem to get rolling. Embree makes me nuts, I dont understand the pick-ups we make for these stiff washed up closers, a la Todd Jones.

I mean I like theo but some of these tired old arms just dont cut it...sauerbeck, suppan...PU....

Please someone remind me how it dffelt earlier this season, even without Trot, et al (notice I didnt mention Nomar)

Pedro
06-24-2004, 01:06 PM
lol@"Doctor Morgan"... what a quack. Reese is probably out until September.

What the hell is it with these team doctors that they feel the need to just flat out LIE to our faces. Look at what has happened in Chicago, Mark Prior was supposed to be out for FIVE days. They just kept stretching it and stretching it until they finally admitted that he'd be out until JUNE! Kerry Wood's injury that he suffered in early May was deemed by the team to be "nothing too serious" and was expected back in "two weeks" - Now they "concede" he likely won't return until after the All-Star Break. That is B.S., they cannot be serious with these timetables, and if they really believe what they are telling to the fans and media, they can't tell a shoulder from a fucking foot.