PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Analysts Top-75 Prospects

ORS
01-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Baseball Analysts is releasing its top-75 prospects this week. They started with an Honorable Mention list on Monday, then 75-51 on Tuesday, 50-26 on Wednesday, 25-11 today, and the top-10 will be released on Friday. Here's are the lists and where the Sox youngsters ended up:

Honorable Mention (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/01/2006_wtny_75_ho.php)

75-51 (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/01/2006_wtny_75_75.php)

50-26 (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/01/2006_wtny_75_50_1.php)

50. Craig Hansen - RP - Boston Red Sox - 22 (AAA)

Introduction: Few statements represent the massive ideological change that baseball has undergone in the past 50 years as this: Craig Hansen was heavily considered to be drafted first overall. A reliever. Obviously, no position has undergone a change in such a period as the relief position. Closers are extremely valuable commodities, so much so, that first round picks are now being used on them. We've seen Ryan Wagner, Chad Cordero and Huston Street all picked in the first round. Derrick Lutz and others will do so in the 2006 draft. 2005's best talent was Craig Hansen, who may have the best stuff of any college closer. While Hansen's level of competition wasn't super-high, there was not a more dominating force in college baseball last year.

Skillset/Future: Many have called for the Red Sox to move Hansen back to starting, but I'm not sure this is the best move. How will his stuff hold up for 200 innings? In about 80 innings per year, Hansen has a slider that is unparalleled in the minors. It hits the high-80s consistently, and at times, touches the low 90s. His fastball is about 95-98 mph, and he has very good control of the pitch. Craig does not allow home runs, walk too many batters, or give up very many hits. The Red Sox will make him their closer within two years, and he should succeeding pitching on one of baseball's biggest stages.

42. Dustin Pedroia - 2B/SS - Boston Red Sox - 22 (AAA)

Introduction: We knew the day of the draft that Pedroia was a steal. So, pardon me, for if in the future I go back and criticize teams for not taking Dustin at a higher slot. Forget that he was an older college player with limited potential. This is a guy that had hit .400 in his sophomore season, and topped a .500 OBP in his junior season. In his final two years at Arizona State, Pedroia's OPS was over 1.050. He struck out just 47 times in all of college. Ian Kinsler was blocked because Pedroia was just too good. Yet Dustin slipped to the 65th pick because the best comparisons he could muster were David Eckstein, just because of his tiny height. It's really too bad for all these teams, because by missing out in Pedroia, they missed out in one of the 3 safest picks in the draft.

Skillset/Future: There has been a lot of talk about Dustin this winter, now that the Red Sox middle infield situation is questionable. With Hanley Ramirez now out of the system, and Edgar Renteria traded, it's quite possible that Pedroia will move back to shortstop this season. As a result, the Red Sox will likely fill that hole with just a part-time solution (maybe just Alex Cora), as they wait for Dustin to get a little more seasoning in AAA. They will find he won't need much, as his poor 2005 Pawtucket line can really be blamed on an unlucky .261 BABIP. When that returns to normal levels, expect Pedroia to continue to post high batting averages while showing some of the best plate discipline in professional baseball. Oh, and he has a little pop, too.

25-11 (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/01/2006_wtny_75_25.php)

22. Jon Papelbon - SP/RP - Boston Red Sox - 25 (MLB )

Introduction: In November of 2004, I predicted that Jon Papelbon and Jon Lester would, in one year's time, be "one of the 3 best 1-2 pitching prospect tandems in the minor leagues." I was wrong. They are the best. Detroit, Texas, Florida, Los Angeles and others have good combinations, but none match the prospect status of Papelbon and Lester. Papelbon's big breakout ended in a trip to the Majors, where he went back to his college role, helping out in the Red Sox depleted bullpen. After giving up four earned runs in his first three appearances, Papelbon would settle and get used to the role, allowing just 2 ER in his last 14 innings.

Skillset/Future: The Red Sox are now left with the difficult decision of what to do with Jon Papelbon. It seems as if the team will again start by trying him in the rotation, and if he labors (or the team really needs a reliever) he will move to the bullpen. This is probably the best philosophy, though I don't think that move to the 'pen will have to happen. Papelbon can throw five different pitches, and has found much success (especially against left-handers) with a splitter learned from Curt Schilling. His fastball (92-95 mph) has great control, and Jon also offers a nasty slider. Those three pitches comprise most of what he throws, though he can also offer another breaking pitch and a change up. This guy is nasty, and if his control returns to the levels it was in the minors, don't forget about him in the AL Rookie of the Year race.

14. Jon Lester - SP - Boston Red Sox - 22 (AAA)

Introduction: My favorite prospect in the minors, Lester more than validated the confidence I had in him in 2005. Once coveted for Randy Johnson, the Red Sox refused to trade him, and for good reason. Lester would be the Eastern League's best pitcher in 2005, as the Red Sox were conservative with him, placing him on a pitch count and refusing to move him up a level. With no pressing needs at the Major League level, Lester was best in further honing his skills in the minors. Having turned 22 on Saturday, Jon will not be kept from the Majors much longer. Look for the team to bring him up sometime early in the midseason, when their schedule is soft and he can be broken in easily.

Skillset/Future: Lester profiles to be a #2 pitcher at the pro level. Like Papelbon, the Red Sox had him working on a new pitch in 2005, with Lester trying to develop a cutter. The results were successful, as Jon continued to improve against right-handed batters. In addition to the cutter, Lester throws a fastball with great movement up into the mid 90s, and a good change up and curveball. This season, he started to draw comparisons to Andy Pettite, which certainly isn't the worst thing in the world. His control is inconsistent, but if offered, could be a weapon. Lester is so close to being Major League quality, the Red Sox could trade both David Wells and Matt Clement, and their rotation could improve.

I would imagine Marte is in the top-10. I love the part about Papelbon/Lester being the best 1/2 prospect combo.

gosox613
01-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the stat "BABIP" they mention in pedroia's part.

ORS
01-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Batting Average on Balls In Play

BABIP is usually right around .300 (it was .298 for the AL this year). Here's how you calculate it:

(H - HR) / (AB - HR - SO)

This tells you how successful the hitter was at getting a hit when the fielders had a chance to field the ball.

EDIT: Below average is considered unlucky, and above average is considered lucky. This is because studies have shown that pitchers have very little control over where the ball ends up after being hit, and the pitcher's BABIP can fluctuate pretty drastically from year to year. Here's how you determine pitcher's BABIP:

(H - HR) / (TBF - BB - HBP - SO - HR)

elsrbueno
01-12-2006, 01:58 PM
These guys also had a pretty harsh review of Hanley Ramirez. Are these guys Sox fans? Calling Papelbon/Lester the best 1-2 punch (prospect wise) in baseball and pumping up the Sox for trading Hanley.

36. Hanley Ramirez - SS - Florida Marlins - 22 (AAA)

Introduction: What in the world is there left to expect of Hanley Ramirez. We have gone from thinking he was a budding superstar, to being convinced he was a bust. In 2004, he made us think he did have All-Star potential, before allowing us to back off that opinion in 2005. There has not been a more volatile player in minor league baseball the last three years than Ramirez. Because of that, and ongoing make-up issues that angered the organization, the Red Sox were quick to trade Ramirez to the Marlins this winter. The opposite of a player like Russ Martin, Hanley is firmly on the scouts side of the infamous scouts v. stats debate. Whether he ever joins the other side is a fact that we all remain quite skeptical of.

Skillset/Future: It seemed very unlikely a year ago that Hanley would be able to stay at shortstop, especially when Boston signed Edgar Renteria. I began to warm to that very idea, thinking that Ramirez would look great in center field. However, now moved to the Marlin organization, it's almost assured Ramirez will stay up the middle, where his defense will play at about average. His power is pretty non-existent, and at this point, expecting 20 home runs is pretty foolish. Hanley does make really consistent contact, and as a result, could be a .300 hitter in the Bigs. But, at this point it is unlikely he will ever walk very much, and his baserunning is too inconsistent to make him a threat at the top of a lineup. On a championship team, Ramirez is simply a seven or eight hitter that provides moments of greatness around a sea of mediocrity.

Granted, he didn't prove a damn thing and as I've already said Marte is a much better hitting prospect, so overall the team did very well to keep Lester and Papelbon and add Marte future-wise.

Anibal Sanchez (also traded to Florida) came in at #32. Just goes to show you the Sox newfound depth in the farm. They can trade 2 top 50 prospects and still have 4 prospects in the top 50. Add Marte to that and they've got 5 in the top 50. Certainly a glowing review of the farm system and if you ask me-- it's about time.

yeszir
01-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I am a firm believer that the higher a prospect is rated on such a list, the bigger a bust he will be. You're almost as well off with a 75-100 rated prospect as you are with a 1-10 type guy.

ORS
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I am a firm believer that the higher a prospect is rated on such a list, the bigger a bust he will be. You're almost as well off with a 75-100 rated prospect as you are with a 1-10 type guy.
I hope you don't mean to suggest that every top-10 is destined for failure. Manny, Jeter, ARod, and truckload of other elite MLB players were once listed as top-10 prospects. I do think part of what you say is correct. The higher the ranking, the bigger the bust, IF they do indeed bust. But this shouldn't be surprising, because the higher the player is ranked, the more hype there is about the player.

riverside sluggers
01-12-2006, 03:15 PM
an article that has an interview with Marte. Recently assistant GM had visited him in his home country and asked if he were willing to play left field... But still as we know, Manny will be in a Red Sox uni on opening day and wont be packing up his place he has in the green monster ;)

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-martesn.0112-20060112-

Beckett95
01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
papelbon also sayd today in the maine today paper that he want to start this year for the sox.

http://sports.mainetoday.com/pro/redsox/060110sox.shtml

yeszir
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I hope you don't mean to suggest that every top-10 is destined for failure. Manny, Jeter, ARod, and truckload of other elite MLB players were once listed as top-10 prospects. I do think part of what you say is correct. The higher the ranking, the bigger the bust, IF they do indeed bust. But this shouldn't be surprising, because the higher the player is ranked, the more hype there is about the player.
No, not at all. Of course top 10 prospects come through somewhat frequently, I'm just saying its rarely, if ever, a sure thing like in the NFL.

ORS
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
"If they want me in the pen, and if that's where I can help the team out, I want to do that," he said. "Deep down I'd like to be a starter. I think that's where I'm more effective. We'll see as spring training rolls along."
I love this attitude. Whatever it takes to contibute.

Cityofchampions33
01-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh man these are gunna be a good few years watching our 1-2 combo get groomed into the Majors and flourish.

KeepTheFaith1229
01-12-2006, 09:01 PM
The future's bright, boys.

RedSoxRooter
01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
So if it was released today, who made the top 10???

KeepTheFaith1229
01-13-2006, 06:28 PM
So if it was released today, who made the top 10???

I just checked it out, Marte is 9th and 1st is Delmon Young of the Devil Rays.

RedSoxRooter
01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
About one month ago, I looked at Andy Marte's "disappointing" season in detail. I put quotes around disappointing, because I am not one in that corner. There is no doubt that Marte didn't progress much this year, but he also wasn't horrible. People are too quick to judge him by his Major League stats (sample size!), Dominican Winter League stats (started very slow, came back strong), and a lack of a breakout season. However, my contention is that the only thing that was damaged this year was Andy's confidence. After struggling pretty bad in the Majors, he would go to struggle after being demoted. The first time, it resulted in a .196/.304/.340 stretch for nearly a month. The second time, it put considerable dead weight on his year-long DWL stats.

If the Red Sox are serious about keeping Marte, they must do everything in their power to re-build his confidence. With Mike Lowell, Kevin Youkilis and J.T. Snow in the fold, the team will be able to leave Andy in AAA for much of the season. He should start to hit confidently in Pawtucket, and begin to break out in the ways that we have been projecting for years. I made the comparison in the article linked above, and I will again: don't be shocked if, in the end, Andy Marte ends up as Paul Konerko with enough agility to stick at third.

Cityofchampions33
01-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Umm, Paul Konerko, yes please!

KeepTheFaith1229
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
The Yankees' highest rated prospect is 46th.

SchillingIsTheNatural
01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I like how (according to the list) we have the #5 and #7 top pitching prospects in baseball...I'm fine with that.

Beckett95
01-13-2006, 10:12 PM
83. Kelly Shoppach, C, Red Sox, 25
Acquired: 2nd round, 2001, Baylor
Shoppach's calling card is power. He boasts a career .470 SLG and last season had a career year at AAA-Pawtucket, hitting .253 AVG/.352 OBP/.507 SLG. Shoppach strikes out too much and doesn't hit for high averages, but his secondary skills — drawing walks and hitting for power — are there. He's also a strong defender behind the plate with an excellent throwing arm. Obviously, with Jason Varitek going into the second season of a four-year contract, Shoppach's future in Boston is as a reserve or as trade bait. With Doug Mirabelli now in San Diego, he'll open the season as Varitek's caddy, but he has the skills to be a starter at the highest level.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5240286

i dont think they've came out with the top 80 prospects yet.

krazeebrainz
01-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Seeing as Young is considered the number one prospect and was signed to the D-Rays, I figure it like this...Find which scout was responsible for signing Young, Crawford, Baldelli, Huff and Cantu and offer him a contract! The D-Rays are just 2 starting pitchers away from being a wild card contender. Their scouting is rediculous!

-krazeebrainz

Cityofchampions33
01-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Seeing as Young is considered the number one prospect and was signed to the D-Rays, I figure it like this...Find which scout was responsible for signing Young, Crawford, Baldelli, Huff and Cantu and offer him a contract! The D-Rays are just 2 starting pitchers away from being a wild card contender. Their scouting is rediculous!

-krazeebrainz

Ummmm I have a feeling some of em were drafted, just a hunch.

riverside sluggers
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
true about them being drafted rather than signed right away.

Keep in mind for the past 7 out of 8 seasons they have finished dead last in the AL East division, as well as up to 2004/2005 they have been one of the worst teams in the MLB. Just like the NFL draft, the team with the most losses gets the #1 pick and then goes gradually up the ladder. The surplus of #1 picks given to them is a big gift.

EDIT: What compensatory pick will the Red Sox get from the Yankees since they signed Damon after he denied arbitration?

guapo34
01-14-2006, 07:24 PM
We get their first round pick, number 28 or 29 i believe, along with a sandwich pick between the first and second round. We also get a sandwich pick for mueller and the dodgers 3rd round pick.

riverside sluggers
01-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info

Damn, I'll really be looking forward to the draft then

jsinger121
01-15-2006, 02:18 AM
the red sox have 7 picks in the top 100 of this years draft. they can really stockpile the farm system if they scout wisely and draft wisely and get the players signed.

KeepTheFaith1229
01-15-2006, 09:23 AM
When is the draft?

stocker323
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
When is the draft?

It usually takes place in the beginning of June.

ksushi
01-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Ummmm I have a feeling some of em were drafted, just a hunch.

I have a feeling these guys were scouted before they were drafted, also just a hunch. I used to think that the draft was this magical thing that brought you wonderful players without you having to find them or anything, but then I turned 12 and stopped being ridiculous.

Cityofchampions33
01-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, no shit they were scouted, it was in response to syaing that they were all signed.

guapo34
01-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, scouts don't really deserve too much credit for getting great players when you're always picking in the top 3 of the draft.

VAredsox
01-15-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm hoping they're right about Papelbon and Lester. Papelbon showed some promise late last year. I'm not too hurt about them trading Hanley.

ksushi
01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't know about that, I think scouting is huge in determining which players have the tools to make it in the major leagues. Scouts are underrated because of the notion that its easy. You're wrong. Scouting isn't just limited to the less known players, everyone is scouted. Scouted doesn't mean discovered, it means evaluated.

guapo34
01-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Scouting is very important. I just think its far less important when ur picking in the top 3 every single year. Anyone site that reports on the draft always knows who the best players are. Everyone knows whose going top 3-5. I'm not saying scouts aren't important. Just that their jobs are easier when you have top picks.

jsinger121
01-16-2006, 12:07 AM
This is a very important draft for the red sox because MLB has been talking about taking away compensation picks for signing free agents. the red sox need to find the best possible players in this draft regardless of position and sign these guys to improve the depth of the farm system.

Cityofchampions33
01-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Who are some of the best possiblities that may fall down to our earliest pick?

Beckett95
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Anyone know were Matt LaPorta from Florida might end up in the draft?? Hes plays 1st and has great power

Beckett95
01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=MLB&storyid=19141

top 10 red sox prospects

Boston Red Sox

1. Andy Marte - 3B - DOB: 10/21/83 - ETA: April 2007
.275/.372/.506, 20 HR, 74 RBI, 83/64 K/BB, 0 SB in 389 AB for Triple-A Richmond
.149/.236/.234, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 10/6 K/BB, 0 SB in 47 AB for Atlanta

Marte’s bad 47-at-bat stint for the Braves should hardly qualify as a setback, not when he was so productive in Triple-A as a 21-year-old. The only real source of concern now is the mysterious right elbow injury, which came to light after he was traded to Boston for Edgar Renteria. His agent dismissed the report of him possibly requiring Tommy John surgery as nonsense. Even if Marte did need the surgery and missed 2006 as a result, he’d still be a fabulous prospect. His defense at third base, once a weak point, continues to improve, and he’ll be a .280 hitter with 30 homers and 60-70 walks per year in his prime. Another three to six months in Triple-A should be sufficient.

Reports have Marte on his way to Cleveland for Coco Crisp. It’d be an incredibly short-sighted move for Boston.

2. Dustin Pedroia - 2B/SS - DOB: 08/17/83 - ETA: April 2007
.324/.409/.508, 8 HR, 40 RBI, 26/34 K/BB, 7 SB in 256 AB for Double-A Portland
.255/.356/.382, 5 HR, 24 RBI, 17/24 K/BB, 1 SB in 204 AB for Triple-A Pawtucket

The Red Sox had Pedroia, a 2004 second-round pick out of Arizona State, slide over to second base last year because Edgar Renteria and Hanley Ramirez were ahead of him at shortstop. Now both are gone, and Pedroia could be an option at shortstop for the club for at least a couple of years. His arm is a little light for the position, but he has the range to be adequate right now. For the long-term, it’s still likely that his home will be second base. Pedroia projects as an excellent top-of-the-order hitter, although he won’t steal a bunch of bases. His subpar numbers after reaching Triple-A were greatly the result of a wrist injury. He’s close to being ready now, so the Red Sox should have been content to enter spring training with him and Alex Cora competing for a starting job. Instead, it appears that they’ll sign ex-Marlin Alex Gonzalez.

3. Jon Lester - LHP - DOB: 01/07/84 - ETA: May 2007
11-6, 2.61 ERA, 114 H, 163/57 K/BB in 148 1/3 IP for Double-A Portland

Because he’s a lefty capable of touching 95 mph with his fastball, Lester has been in demand in trade talks for years now. It was only in 2005 that he developed into a top-flight pitching prospect. Helped along by a cut fastball he developed in 2004, he’s talented enough to be a No. 2 starter in the majors. Better command of his curveball and an improved changeup are necessary if he’s going to fulfill his potential, but since he’s just 22, he has plenty of time to grow. After four months in Triple-A, he could be ready to help out in August if needed. The Red Sox would probably prefer not to use him until 2007.

4. Jonathan Papelbon - RHP - DOB: 11/23/80 - ETA: Now
5-2, 2.48 ERA, 59 H, 83/23 K/BB in 87 IP for Double-A Portland
1-2, 2.93 ERA, 21 H, 27/3 K/BB in 27 2/3 IP for Triple-A Pawtucket
3-1, 2.65 ERA, 33 H, 34/17 K/BB in 34 IP for Boston

It’s always a good sign when your team’s No. 4 prospect draws comparisons to Roger Clemens. Papelbon, though, still needs to master a second and maybe even a third pitch to go along with his 95-mph fastball. Papelbon’s slider, curveball and changeup all took a backseat last year to the splitter that Curt Schilling taught him. Perhaps another year of experience is all it will take to make the splitter a second swing-and-miss pitch. Exactly what kind of role Papelbon will have this season is uncertain. There’s not going to be room for him in the rotation unless the Red Sox move two pitchers, and there’s some chance that he could open the year at Triple-A Pawtucket. My guess is that he makes the team as a reliever, and if that happens, he might even get a chance to close should Keith Foulke struggle. For the long-term, he projects as a No. 3 starter.

5. Craig Hansen - RHP - DOB: 11/15/83 - ETA: July 2006
1-0, 0 Sv, 0.00 ERA, 2 H, 4/0 K/BB in 3 IP for Rookie GCL Red Sox
0-0, 1 Sv, 0.00 ERA, 9 H, 10/1 K/BB in 9 2/3 IP for Double-A Portland
0-0, 0 Sv, 6.00 ERA, 6 H, 3/1 K/BB in 3 IP for Boston

Hansen, regarded by some as the top pitcher available in the 2005 draft, got a $4 million major league contract after being drafted 26th overall by the Red Sox. His chances of winning a spot on the club’s playoff roster came to an end after he was shut down with the tired arm in late August, but he debuted in September anyway and pitched three innings. Hansen probably has the stuff to start for a major league team, but the Red Sox will likely continue to develop him as a reliever, with an eye toward making him the closer as soon as 2007. His mid-90s fastball and terrific slider could make him dominant in that role. Because the Red Sox have loaded up on pitching, Hansen won’t have much of a chance of winning a bullpen spot coming out of spring training. He might be back in Boston sometime around the All-Star break.

6. Jacoby Ellsbury - OF - DOB: 09/11/83 - ETA: 2008
.317/.418/.432, 1 HR, 19 RBI, 20/24 K/BB, 23 SB in 139 AB for SS Single-A Lowell

Ellsbury, who hit .406/.495/.582 during his final year at Oregon State, was receiving comparisons to Johnny Damon even before the Red Sox made him the 23rd pick in the 2005 draft. Selected as the fastest baserunner and third-best defensive player in Baseball America’s tools rankings of draft-eligible collegians, he projects as Boston’s long-term center fielder. It figures to be at least 2008 before he’s ready to make much of a contribution offensively. Ellsbury lacks outstanding offensive upside, but he could get on base enough to be a leadoff hitter, and the steal potential -- he was 23-for-26 in just 35 games last year -- makes him a fantasy prospect.

7. Kelly Shoppach - C - DOB: 04/29/80
.253/.352/.507, 26 HR, 75 RBI, 116/46 K/BB, 0 SB in 371 AB for Triple-A Pawtucket
.000/.063/.000, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 7/0 K/BB, 0 SB in 15 AB for Boston

It hardly seems fair, but Shoppach’s embarrassing showing in 15 at-bats for the Red Sox last season seemed to counter what good he did by hitting 26 homers and finishing with an 859 OPS in 371 at-bats in Pawtucket. There didn’t appear to be much interest in him in trade talks over the winter, and now the Red Sox are prepared to go with John Flaherty rather than try Shoppach as the personal catcher for Tim Wakefield this year. Shoppach still figures to be a long-term regular. He’s solid enough defensively that he’ll never have to hit for much of an average to be one of the game’s top 30 catchers. With Jason Varitek signed through 2008, Shoppach will again be a candidate to go in an in-season deal this year.

8. Jed Lowrie - SS/2B - DOB: 04/17/84 - ETA: 2009
.328/.429/.448, 4 HR, 32 RBI, 30/34 K/BB, 7 SB in 201 AB for SS Single-A Lowell

Lowrie, a second baseman at Stanford, was moved to shortstop after being selected 45th overall by the Red Sox last year and took to the position better than anyone could have anticipated. It still might be more likely that he’ll end up at second base for the long-term, but the Red Sox will keep developing him as a shortstop. Offensively, the switch-hitting Lowrie figures to keep hitting for average and getting on-base. He’s not going to hit for the same kind of power he did in college, so his upside is rather limited. So far, though, all signs point to him becoming an average regular.

9. Manny Delcarmen - RHP - DOB: 02/16/82 - ETA: Sept. 2006
4-4, 3 Sv, 3.23 ERA, 31 H, 49/20 K/BB in 39 IP for Double-A Portland
3-1, 2 Sv, 1.29 ERA, 17 H, 23/13 K/BB in 21 IP for Triple-A Pawtucket
0-0, 0 Sv, 3.00 ERA, 8 H, 9/7 K/BB in 9 IP for Boston

Delcarmen, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2003, is back in Boston’s top 10 after a two-year absence, though he would have been 11th on the 2005 list. Last year was his first as a reliever, and he finished with strong numbers, although his walk rate was a problem. Delcarmen can get strikeouts with his mid-90s fastball or his power curve. If he does a better job of throwing strikes, he should turn into a quality setup man. The Red Sox probably won’t need him for at least the first few months of this season.

10. Brandon Moss - OF - DOB: 09/16/83 - ETA: Aug. 2007
.268/.337/.441, 16 HR, 61 RBI, 129/53 K/BB, 6 SB in 503 AB for Double-A Portland
.236/.291/.389, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 24/5 K/BB, 2 SB in 72 AB for Peoria Saguaros (AFL)

Moss, the South Atlantic League’s MVP for hitting .339/.402/.515 in 2004, was jumped up to Double-A last year after just 83 at-bats in the Florida State League and couldn’t muster more than average numbers. Fortunately, he was just 21 at the time. He should go back to hitting for average this year. A left-handed hitter, Moss could be a Jacque Jones-type player, though he’s not quite as good as Jones defensively in right field. Since he’s not going to post very good OBPs or develop into a 25- or 30-homer threat, the Red Sox may prefer to use him as trade bait.

Next five: OF Luis Soto, RHP Clay Buchholz, RHP Edgar Martinez, OF David Murphy, LHP Abe Alvarez

2005 top 10: Hanley Ramirez, Dustin Pedroia, Kelly Shoppach, Jon Papelbon, Jon Lester, Anibal Sanchez, Abe Alvarez, Luis Soto, Brandon Moss, David Murphy

2004 top 10: Kevin Youkilis, Hanley Ramirez, Kelly Shoppach, Charlie Zink, David Murphy, Jon Lester, Chad Spann, Juan Cedeno, Matt Murton, Abe Alvarez

2003 top 10: Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, Freddy Sanchez, Phil Dumatrait, Kelly Shoppach, Jon Lester, Manny Delcarmen, Tony Blanco, Josh Hancock, Jerome Gamble

imagine in 5 years...

Rotation

1. Beckett
2. Lester
3. Papelbon
4. Buscholz
5. Bowden

Bullpen

MRP-Martinez
MRP-Alvarez
SU-Delcarmen
CL-Hansen

Lineup

1. Ellsbury--CF
2. Pedroia--2B/SS
3. Soto--LF
4. Marte (if not traded)--1ST
5. Moss--RF
6. Shoppach--C
7. Pinckney--3B
8. Egan ???--DH
9. Lowrie--SS/2B

Beckett95
01-28-2006, 08:22 PM
redsoxprospects.com's 2007 projected lineups--

http://www.soxprospects.com/2007.htm

riverside sluggers
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Exciting time really. I'll be sure to track David Murphy's AAA season because this and other sources have him as the leading candiadte to replace Trot in 07.

Beckett95
01-29-2006, 11:59 AM
the bullpen will be very different next year. Delcarmen, Hansen, Martinez, Van Buren, Dinardo and possibly Merideth.

seabeachfred
01-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Beckett, time to alter your future lineup with Marte and Shoppach gone. I agree about Ellsbury, Lowrie, Pedroia, Moss and Pinckney. Those five and our young pitchers are a helluva nucleus and I believe we have enough young players besides these to help put an outstanding team on the team. Then there is FA if necessary.

Cityofchampions33
01-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Seems like we got a whole team comn out of the minors, that'd be pretty sick to have like 3/4 of the team come from the farm.