PDA

View Full Version : Rating System for Members?

krazeebrainz
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
To all,

First of all, I am happy to be a member of this board. It is refreshing to read posts that have been written by well-informed, creative Sox fans.

On that note, do you think that we could implement a rating system? I know that we have generic ratings that are based on only the number of posts written. I think that it would be to our benefit if we we were able to rate members/members' posts on a 10 point system.

For instance, "One Red Seat" has posts that are awesome! His posts are some of the most insightful and informative that I have read yet. I would give "One Red Seat" a 10/10 without hesitation. A 5-6/10 could denote that other posters rated this person as "average" poster. One could then rank other posters on this numerical rating scale.

For example:

1-2/10: You know nothing about baseball, stick to hop scotch.

3-4/10: Picking-up a newspaper every now-and-then would help...

5-6/10: You make good points and bring good information to the forum.

7-8/10: Solid Poster, one that brings insightful and well-thought-out points.

9-10/10: Incredible poster, Peter Gammon's "mini me!"

What do you all think?

-krazeebrainz :thumbsup: or :thumbdown

schillingouttheks
01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
:thumbdown

Do you really think yeszir would let this happen? Seriously, labeling members as "trash members" or "incredibly smart" isn't something to do. People know who is who, and there's no need to start ranking people.

spartans
01-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Says the MVP

schillingouttheks
01-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Says someone who's been here since mid-2004. There's NO reason to start ranking people.

Soxfan#1
01-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Agreed. A lot of posters are offended by that sort of thing.

krazeebrainz
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I didn't mean to turn this into a way to "bash" members. I'm just asking. I am a member of other non-sports-related boards and this is done. Just wanted to see what people thought. I have no intention of starting any problems!

spartans
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I just dont see why its necessary

yeszir
01-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Karma ratings system exist, but I think more bad would come of something like this than good. Thats why I have karma disabled. If you stick around long enough and read post, you get a sense for who makes good, well-argued points and who doesn't.

Thanks for the idea though.

krazeebrainz
01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
That's fine. I just wanted to throw an idea on the table. I can see all of your points.

spartans
01-17-2006, 09:43 PM
You will always be <3'd

yeszir
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
But on that note, I'm always on the lookout for some cool crap to add to Talksox, so if you ever get any more ideas let me know!

Sox Fan on Cape
01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
But on that note, I'm always on the lookout for some cool crap to add to Talksox, so if you ever get any more ideas let me know!
Sure next gift certificate contest you can have a "secret" word within one of the forums. Clues and be given along the way ( maybe by different mods, so they actually have to read what is said ).

spartans
01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
that would take forever...

Sox Fan on Cape
01-18-2006, 09:56 AM
that would take forever...
Vocabulary or reading skills ?:rolleyes: :D

Moose
01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I could already see it, if we did have Karma points...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/UnderPressure213/Chitown77.jpg

yeszir
01-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Ha I forgot about that guy. But yea, that is what his postbit would look like.

riverside sluggers
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
haha he kind of wore out his welcome with us pretty quick

His team won for the first time since 1917 (1 year more than ours), and yet he started ragging on us about "1918", and a number of silly tries to bash on us here.

ARod2212
01-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Actually 2 more years, since it also took them a year after you won to get another.

26 to 6
01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
I could already see it, if we did have Karma points...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/UnderPressure213/Chitown77.jpg
that would get pretty annoying.

...but the thread starter's idea wasnt horrible I dont think, like just for fun. But I agree with everyone else that if you're around long enough you know who is who.

ORS
01-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the glowing review krazee. While I can see the merits of a rating system based on post quality (it would help noobs quickly filter out some of the irrational posts), I do have doubts as to how it could be fairly implemented and what its effects would have on lower-rated posters. On the first point, how would post quality be gauged? No automated system could accurately measure post quality, and human judgement would be both tedious and biased. Some members would in effect be forced to accept the silver medal because the French judge was in collusion with the Russian judge. Sorry, couldn't resist the figure skating analogy. On the second point, this type of rating would result in de facto censorship, as lower-rated members would be likely to refrain from sharing their opinion if it didn't receive high marks. I suppose this sort of happens already when others rip weak opinions apart (I know I'm guilty of this), but at least the opinion is out there for analysis, and they do receive feedback that has the potential to affect their thought process.

RedSoxRooter
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
It's not really needed here anyway. I mean, how many users post here on a regular basis? If you read the site for a week you'll basically know who each poster is and what quality they post at.

My only problem is that I sometimes get confused with the usernames. Big Papi names I always get mixed up.

yeszir
01-19-2006, 09:30 PM
It's not really needed here anyway. I mean, how many users post here on a regular basis? If you read the site for a week you'll basically know who each poster is and what quality they post at.

My only problem is that I sometimes get confused with the usernames. Big Papi names I always get mixed up.
And those damn similar avatars. :(

26 to 6
01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
thats why I stick with the Yankee avatars with the black border :lol: lol

Manny Goes Boom
01-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Thats part of the reason I changed mine from the site's Manny one. I forgot his username but he had the same one.

He Hate Me
01-24-2006, 12:59 PM
To all,
1-2/10: You know nothing about baseball, stick to hop scotch.

3-4/10: Picking-up a newspaper every now-and-then would help...

5-6/10: You make good points and bring good information to the forum.

7-8/10: Solid Poster, one that brings insightful and well-thought-out points.

9-10/10: Incredible poster, Peter Gammon's "mini me!"

What do you all think?

-krazeebrainz :thumbsup: or :thumbdown

I'm cool with it. I'd like to name each category though

1-2/10: DoucheBag

3-4/10: You have touched an actual douchebag before

5-6/10: You wonder what a douchebag feels like

BoSox_Babe
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
i hate the similar avatars...i used to have a hard time figuring out who was who cuz i usually just look at avatars...thats why i always stuck to hanley avatars ;)

MC Hammer
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
i hate the similar avatars...i used to have a hard time figuring out who was who cuz i usually just look at avatars...thats why i always stuck to hanley avatars ;)
weren't you banned twice?