PDA

View Full Version : Bk Kim

elsrbueno
06-28-2004, 09:12 AM
I want people's opinions on what the team should do with Kim when he's healthy. The way I see it, there are three options:

1. Trade him -- I've heard rumors about Colorado being interested, but that was a month ago.

2. Starting Rotation -- This would return Arroyo to the bullpen.

3. Bullpen, Long relief/setup -- Keep Arroyo in the rotation, move Kim to the pen.

What I'd do:

Option # 3. Kim had the most amount of success in Boston as a reliever. I think if he's traded now the team doesn't get a lot of value back for him. Perhaps let him pitch in the bullpen and see how he does against MLB hitters. I'd rather see Arroyo in the rotation and Kim in the bullpen.

sarasoxfan
06-28-2004, 10:08 AM
A week or two ago I would have said sinara.

But brandon has been so bad, and the middle relief has been so bad.

(Except for Timlin and williamson)

I say Kim couldnt do worse.

let him start and then see who gets traded.

JMDurron
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
I say to start him at Option 3 until he's actually fully HEALTHY, then move to Option 2. He has such potential to anchor our rotation, and Arroyo could do so much to help our long relief, I think you have to give Kim another shot in the rotation. After all, if we're going to make a trade, wouldn't it be for pitching? If Kim plays like he has shown flashes of being capable of, we won't NEED to trade for pitching. Well, except perhaps another pen lefty if Luskanic (sp?) doesn't pan out.

Zenny
06-28-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm still in favor of option Number 2. I think Theo and Co. rushed Kim back the first time because of public opinion and he wasn't ready. They seem to have smartened up and they are going to take their time with him at Pawtucket. Once his velocity is back and his confidence returns, they should put him in the rotation (where he was a career ERA ~3.35) and move Arroyo to the long-relief role (where he has a career ERA under 3).

element1151
06-28-2004, 11:57 AM
3, if it doesn't work out then trade.

elsrbueno
06-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your opinions.....

Seems like he's a little ways off. His fastball was still only in the upper 80s (they expect mid 90s I believe) when he threw in Pawtucket.

I'm all for giving him a shot to prove his worth in the major leagues, but this might end up being a timing issue. Will there be enough time before July 31st to give Kim enough innings to make a decision on whether or not he fills the pitching void?

YanksHater213
06-28-2004, 06:27 PM
2- bronson has sucked lately, and we need to try new things

700 posts!!! i rule!

noonanberg
06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I never want to see Kim in a Sox uni again. I will never forget that infamous finger and I don't think anyone should. If you don't like Arroyo fine, trade Kim and get a new pitcher to fill that #5 role. Plus, even if Kim is brought back he's useless to us come playoff time for he may be the worst pitcher when it is crunch time (as he has displayed on numerous occassions.)

element1151
06-28-2004, 10:34 PM
I just worry about Kim and the playoffs (D-backs, Yanks, game 3 and 4)

elsrbueno
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Element, I can certainly understand your concern! (about the playoffs)

yeszir
06-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeszir's vacation post for the day:

I've always been high on Kim, and I think that in a few years he'll be great as a starter. He just needs to get his act together. For now, I think he is a better choice over Bronson, who certainly hasnt been pitching well at all. He wont be astounding, I can guarantee you that, and he'll have his fair share of blowups, but he can come through for us, I hope.

Zenny
06-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Kim won't pitch in the playoffs. They'll have a four-man rotation, or possibly three depending upon personnel (I'm still holding out hope for a Nomar for Odalis Perez trade) and health.

YanksHater213
06-30-2004, 05:44 AM
haha, yeszir agrees with me! pending a trade for a 5th starter, kim should start. bronson is much better in long relief situations

elsrbueno
06-30-2004, 07:33 AM
That Nomar for Perez deal is looking better and better!

element1151
07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Since he won't pitch in the playoff, we probably should let him pitch in the regular season.

elsrbueno
07-01-2004, 11:58 AM
It seems the Red Sox are taking their time with Mr. Kim because rumor has it they felt like he came back too early last time.

If/when he does come back, the Red Sox are certainly planning (or so it would seem) on him getting some playing time.