PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz Named Al Player Of The Week

CalvnHobs6
06-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Ortiz named AL Player of the Week
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- The left-handed masher has been a constant terror in the No. 3 spot for the Red Sox all season. While he has been a big factor for the Sox for months, David Ortiz got some individual glory on Monday, being selected as the American League Player of the Week for the first time in his career.
All he did over the last week was carry the Boston offense.

Ortiz hit safely in all six games, posting a whopping slugging percentage of 1.040 while accumulating 26 total bases. It seemed as if every time Ortiz swung, a line drive boomed off his bat. For the week, he was 11-for-25 (.440) with three doubles, three homers, nine RBIs and eight runs scored.

Though he's not on the All-Star ballot (there's no DH in this year's game), Ortiz has put together an overwhelming case for being selected in some fashion to his first All-Star Game.

He is hitting .304 with 29 doubles, 19 homers and an American League-leading 72 RBIs. In June, he is hitting at a .365 clip with eight homers and 28 RBIs.

While last season was certainly a career year (31 HRs, 101 RBIs in 448 at-bats) for Ortiz, as he finished fifth in the American League MVP voting, he seems primed to make 2004 another career year.

Told that he was looking good at the plate lately, Ortiz chuckled.

"I look good? I just keep working, working on my thing and trying to keep it the same way in the game," said Ortiz.

He is in the proverbial zone.

"It feels pretty good, real good," said Ortiz. "Especially when you help the ballclub."

While he has made life miserable for opposing pitchers, Ortiz has earned respect all around his clubhouse.

"I had a chance to watch David from afar and the numbers that he put up in the short amount of time that he played were pretty phenomenal," said Red Sox right-hander Curt Schilling. "But on a daily basis, he is possibly a much better hitter than I thought he was. He's cut down, from a pitcher's standpoint, I have noticed that he's cut down his strikeouts in the last three, four weeks. He's putting the ball in play more ... a lot of good things happen."

"The first half that he's had has been amazing," said Sox first baseman Kevin Millar. "He's really made a name for himself."

About frigging time someone recognized his godliness.

YanksHater213
06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
wow, i am soooooooooo surprised... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

elsrbueno
06-28-2004, 05:35 PM
It really is too bad that this guy isn't even on the All-star ballot! He's not only the team's MVP, he's gotta be in the running for league MVP!

Torre better pick him to be a backup. He's much more deserving than the ballot winner....(gulp) Jason Giambi

YanksHater213
06-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jun 28 2004, 06:35 PM
It really is too bad that this guy isn't even on the All-star ballot! He's not only the team's MVP, he's gotta be in the running for league MVP!

he is the league MVP...

noonanberg
06-28-2004, 07:47 PM
I know next time I'm at Fenway I'm starting the M-V-P chant.

Chrupzilla
06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Its too early for the MVP chant. You'd have to start it for Manny, too ... but Co-MVP doesn't really roll off the tongue. Wait until one distinguishes themself as MVP from the other.

Pedro
06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
What a joke if this guy doesn't get the All-Star nod.

It would suck, but would really make the All-Star Game more laughable than it already is.

Yeah, we'll pick a player from each team so that they are all represented, but leave off the guy who leads the league in RBI, Doubles and Extra-base hits. :rolleyes: :lol:

Zenny
06-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Pedro@Jun 28 2004, 09:48 PM
...but leave off the guy who leads the league in RBI, Doubles and Extra-base hits. :rolleyes: :lol:
Don't forget total bases. :D

Pedro
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
'course not. :)

YanksHater213
06-30-2004, 05:46 AM
ortiz is just a friggin machine. but i think i notice something while he was here that he changed from his time in minnesota. i noticed that he crouches much lower than he did a few years ago in his batting stance. he used to be straight up now hes crouched. anyone else notice that???