PDA

View Full Version : Get Randy Johnson`

CrespoBlows
06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Then the Red Sox will easily win the world series.

elsrbueno
06-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Certainly wouldn't be easy, but it would help

stocker323
06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Probably won't happen if he won't waive his no trade clause, but with the way the D-backs are playing right now he may be desperate to get out of there.

derekn
06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
I read this on the Rumour Mill for Sportsline.com :

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

New York Yankees Updated:06/30/2004
Newsday reported the Yankees had yet to receive any indication from the Diamondbacks that Randy Johnson is available on the trade market. But the presence of an Arizona scout at a Triple-A Columbus game indicated the D-Backs were at least taking stock of the Yankees' farm system. The New York Post said scouts from the D-Backs, Pirates, A's, Indians, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies and Blue Jays were in attendance for the Triple-A debuts of catcher Dioner Navarro and infielder Robinson Cano. Earlier, several New York area reports said the Yankess still were looking for a starting pitcher even though Freddy Garcia was dealt by the Mariners to the White Sox. Seattle's Jamie Moyer, Pittsburgh's Kris Benson, Atlanta's Russ Ortiz and perhaps Los Angeles' Odalis Perez are the possibilities most often mentioned. The Daily News said the Yankees were holding out hope that Arizona's Randy Johnson becomes available. Asked about reports New York was interested in Colorado outfielder Preston Wilson or Arizona infielder Roberto Alomar, GM Brian Cashman told the Daily News: "I have no interest in anything other than pitching."

If the Yanks pulls RJ from Dbacks without the Sox getting him that will be the next biggest coup from when they got ARod.

noonanberg
06-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Getting Johnson would be amazing. Who knows if it'll realistically happen, but let's not forget a good former teammate (Schilling) may play a part on whether he comes if the Sox make a pitch for him.

elsrbueno
07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Johnson may become available within the next few weeks. Reports out of Arizona are that the D-Backs are meeting within the next few DAYS to figure out what to do.

If that happens, it's hard to imagine the Red Sox outbidding the Yankees in trade talks. Yes, they have more minor league talent, but it seems the big names (Alvarez, Youkilis, Shoppach, etc) aren't going to be traded.

Surely, the Yankees would start with Robinson Cano, Dioneer Navarro, and pretty much give Arizona whatever they wanted (because George knows the Sox would go hard after Randy)

I just don't see the Sox landing him (unless they REALLY give up the farm)

CrespoBlows
07-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Who gives a shit about the farm system, when you could have Randy Johnson. I would send Youkillis, Shoppach, H. Ramirez, and Alverez for the big unit. Why? Because pitching will always win in October. End the drought, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

trot4mvp
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
I'd be comfortable losing Youk, Alvarez, and, say, Anastacio Martinez, plus whatever spare parts at the Major League level (say BK Kim with Sox paying >50% of his salary?) would be a fair deal. Keep Shoppach and save him for Tek's departure. Or, get involved in a 3-way that prevents the Yankees from making the deal.

element1151
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Yea, give whatever it takes to get Randy.
He won 2 games for the D-Backs in 2001 in the WS.
It would be a good pick up.

Zenny
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
The D'Back's are loaded with infield prospects (Scott Hairston, Chad Tracy, Jamie D'Antona) so they would have no use for Cano or Youkilis. They could probably use Navarro, but he's grossly overrated. The D-Backs could do far better from any other team in the league. I don't think RJ is going anywhere.