PDA

View Full Version : I'm Starting To Take A Liking To Sheffield...

CalvnHobs6
06-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Sheffield has now gotten into a big argument with Scott Boras.
From the AP:

Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Gary Sheffield contends Scott Boras, his former agent, has no right to a percentage of the salary he's earning with the New York Yankees.

Boras filed paperwork requesting 5 percent of the $39 million, three-year contract Sheffield signed with the Yankees during the offseason, the New York Post reported. Boras said Sheffield agreed to let him represent the outfielder when his last contract with Atlanta ran out, the newspaper said.

Sheffield disagrees, saying he negotiated his current deal with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner himself. And the slugger said he hired a lawyer to file a grievance on his behalf.

"He feels like he's (entitled) to the contract that I did myself, like he assisted me, even though he didn't have anything to do with it," Sheffield said Wednesday, referring to Boras.

"If he didn't do it, why should he get a percentage? He didn't play any part of me getting traded, he didn't play any part in me getting my option year taken off, and he definitely didn't play any part in me sitting down with George and doing this deal."

Boras denied Sheffield's allegations.

"There is a resolution process when player and agent disputes arise in which we submitted a claim," Boras said. "This process is something that will take place outside of the season and we trust the focus should remain on the season, the performance of the team and a player's own performance. It's unfortunate baseless allegations regarding these matters are discussed during a baseball season."

Sheffield thinks his problems with Boras cost him a longer contract when he became a free agent after last season.

"Can you explain why [Miguel] Tejada gets six years, [Vladimir] Guerrero gets five years and I get three? He cost me two years of a contract because he was trying to tarnish my name," Sheffield said. "The whole year in Atlanta, I had to get the players' association to stop him from writing me threatening letters saying, 'Either you let me do your contract or I'll be forced to sue you.' That's a threat and harassment. ... A lot of organizations didn't want to talk to him or deal with him. I wasn't going to let him cost me a contract like he did [Greg] Maddux and all those guys in college. I wasn't going to let him dictate my future.

"He wants me to pay his lawyer fees. He didn't get enough money (from his contract) for Alex Rodriguez?"

yeszir
07-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Sheffield is still a steroid-infused, yankee humping bitch, even if he DOES hate Boras. But this isnt a "you're ruining baseball" type of hate, this is a "please let me keep as much of my money as psychically possible" type of hate.

CalvnHobs6
07-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Anything that goes against Boras is OK in my book.

elsrbueno
07-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I never liked Sheffield (I still don't), but he has a point.

I'm surprised A-rod didn't get all pissy about Shef's comments.

Zenny
07-01-2004, 01:18 PM
I hate Sheffield and I hate Boras. I hope they both lose all their money and have to sell the bodies on the streets of NYC. I'm sure Jeter and A-Rod (while on their date) would want some of Sheffield's ass.