PDA

View Full Version : How Much Should The Sox Offer Pedro?

RedSoxRooter
07-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Assuming it's a three year deal, how much should the Sox offer Pedro to stay in Boston?

Zenny
07-08-2004, 09:32 PM
$14 to $15 and see how he reacts to it and base the second offer on that.

elsrbueno
07-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I voted 12-13 and here's why:

If he's throwing like he's been throwing lately, he's worth it. He's still one of the better pitchers out there, and will be the top pitcher available via free agency.

He won't accept less than 12-13 when George will pay him at least that.

He isn't worth more than 12-13 because there's a high probability of him getting injured and missing time on a 3-year deal.

He's still a very good pitcher. Lock him up, Theo!

Ortiz34
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I voted 14-15, but i might be willing to go more. I mean i dont care if doesn;t have a 20 win season every year. He is part of the heart and soul of this boston redsox team. We need him here

elsrbueno
07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't go more than 14-15. He's part of the heart and soul of the team right now, but at > 15 mil / season....you could probably get 2 pitchers

Ortiz34
07-09-2004, 04:19 PM
yeah good call i guess

CrespoBlows
07-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Pedro is the "face" of the team. Not only is he the lighting rod to the rivalry, but he's still a damn good player.

CrespoBlows
07-13-2004, 12:04 PM
I voted 14-15 mil by the way.

RedSoxRooter
07-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I voted 13-14 only because I think he'll require making more than Schilling as a form of "respect" from the Sox. I think they are willing to go that high. If the Sox actually find a way to get Johnson, Pedro may go FA anyway. Ace-by-committee doesn't offer Petey all the attention he needs and I doubt the Sox will offer 16+ out of repect..

Pedro
07-13-2004, 10:25 PM
I don't think they'll offer him a contract.

RedSoxRooter
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
I definitely think he'll be offered something. The Sox would be stupid not to...
And I think it will be a generous offer, but I'm not sure he won't go FA anyway.

After all he's done, he DOES deserve that much respect.

Pedro
07-13-2004, 10:36 PM
If they want to give him respect, they'd retire his number immediately while he's still active and change those silly (and STUPID) rules the Red Sox hold for number retirement. Pedro doesn't need to play in Boston for 10 years to deserve number retirement, he doesn't have to retire and then wait for Hall of Fame entrance before it happens. The man will probably be dead by then. *sarcasm*

Old Hoss
07-14-2004, 12:34 AM
12-13 million.....no more.

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 07:07 AM

Why the hell WOULDN'T the Sox offer him a contract??? He's a proven winner and still has the stuff to win 15-20 games per year. He is a clubhouse leader (who else would've had a gigantic bobblehead doll made for them?) and is critical to the team's chances for playoff glory. I'm not saying throw him 17M/year for 4 years, but the Sox would be absolutely crazy if they don't offer him a contract.

I'm not really worried about Pedro's outburst from earlier this season. Right around the time of the Giants series (I believe) he apologized for those comments and admitted he was just frustrated. The guy has been putting on a show in Boston for years, and it won't change.

Besides, if the Sox don't offer, Pedro WILL be wearing pinstripes next season, no questions asked.

Pedro
07-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by trot4mvp@Jul 14 2004, 05:07 AM

Why the hell WOULDN'T the Sox offer him a contract??? He's a proven winner and still has the stuff to win 15-20 games per year. He is a clubhouse leader (who else would've had a gigantic bobblehead doll made for them?) and is critical to the team's chances for playoff glory. I'm not saying throw him 17M/year for 4 years, but the Sox would be absolutely crazy if they don't offer him a contract.

I'm not really worried about Pedro's outburst from earlier this season. Right around the time of the Giants series (I believe) he apologized for those comments and admitted he was just frustrated. The guy has been putting on a show in Boston for years, and it won't change.

Besides, if the Sox don't offer, Pedro WILL be wearing pinstripes next season, no questions asked.

Pedro is going to dominate the second half... I'm tired of this 3.67 ERA shit.

Pedro's SportsCentury is also on ESPN tonight at 7.

CrespoBlows
07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Pedro will resign with the Red Sox, because with Nomar leaving and Vartek as well the Sox should free up enough to tie down Pedro. (plus Manny might defer 5 million per)

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 01:57 PM
The ARod fiasco has shown that players cannot defer or give away parts of their contracts like that. It was more of a kind gesture on Manny's part...proof that he doesn't want Petey to go.

Old Hoss
07-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Nobody can tell me that out of Lowe, Pedro, Varitek and Nomar that the Sox aren't going to sign at least one of those clowns.....I mean players.

Actually, you can tell me that.......I just won't believe you.

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Hoss@Jul 15 2004, 01:09 AM
Nobody can tell me that out of Lowe, Pedro, Varitek and Nomar that the Sox aren't going to sign at least one of those clowns.....I mean players.

Actually, you can tell me that.......I just won't believe you.
Hoss,
I think you're right. Lowe's definately gone, Nomar's MOST LIKELY gone.

IF Shoppach gets traded, I think the Sox try to sign Tek, otherwise let him go.

Which leaves Pedro. A must sign in my opinion.

Zenny
07-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 15 2004, 09:18 AM
I think you're right. Lowe's definately gone, Nomar's MOST LIKELY gone.

IF Shoppach gets traded, I think the Sox try to sign Tek, otherwise let him go.

Which leaves Pedro. A must sign in my opinion.
As always, I agree with you 100%.

Old Hoss
07-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Truth be told, I wish Nomar DID want to stay; I hear conflicting stories and don't even know what to believe anymore. As I said with Bruce Hurst, Roger Clemens, Mo Vaughn and anyone else you can think of, if a player doesn't WANT to be here, then he shouldn't be here. I hate players with a lousy attitude and believe that it affects their play.

I do find it amusing when certain guys leave, have nothing good to say about the Sox and a couple of years later, they're whining about their new club saying things like, "I miss the Sox; I should have never left." Examples: Hurst, Vaughn and Shea Hillenbrand. I know Hillenbrand was traded but he bad mouthed Boston for over a year and now tells friends that he wished he could come back.

trot4mvp
07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Despite all the media BS, who wouldn't want to play in Boston. We're quite simply the best fans in baseball (though StL fans are a close second, or so I hear). Where else do you have an electrified crowd going absolutely crazy with a full count in the bottom of the third against the Devil Rays in May???

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 07:58 AM
There's a lot of elecricity at a game in Fenway park. The players feel that. It's the same in New York, and maybe a few other places (Philly, STL I hear) but other places take a more passive attitude. I've only been to two stadiums (Fenway, and Olympic Stadium in Montreal) and while I realize Montreal is probably the WORST, there's such a huge difference between the fans in Montreal and Boston. It's gotta be hard to motivate yourself playing in front of 5,000 fans (at most) who are just passing time until hockey starts.

I hope Pedro stays. I hope Nomar stays (his attitude has been fine lately).

I think people like Shea Hilenbrand realize how special it is to play in Boston AFTER leaving.

RedSoxRooter
07-16-2004, 08:19 AM
The whole Nomar fiasco makes no sense to me. I've probably read every article about him in the online versions of The Globe, The Herald and Providence Journal over the last 5 years. Only once, ONCE have I read a quote from him about living on the west coast.

It was towards the end of a frustrating 2001 season and some reporter asked about the atmosphere in Boston. At that time the atmosphere there was really negative with Williams being canned, the Sox on the block and Duquette still there. Anyway, his response was something like "I only work here. I'm from California".

Since that one quote, everybody from Shaughnessy to Gammons has speculated rumor about Nomar hating Boston. Nomar flat out denied he disliked Boston and even went so far as to buy a house on the Cape.

I do think management wants him gone though, so the rumors (read: pushing of Nomar out, just like Mo and Roger) continue. The media has taken one quote made 3 years ago and effectively ended Nomar's stay in Boston. They created a story that wasn't even there.

Nomar to me doesn't look one bit different than he did to me 3 years ago. He still plays hard. He's ALWAYS had a scowl on his face - it's just the way he plays the game folks. He's always been a first pitch hitter. Always given 110%. Always been a little too serious.

Yes, he should have taken the 4 year deal last year. But I think even if he did, the media and management would have tried to ship him out anyway.

Who, by the way, was the last great star to start and finish their career in Boston? Rice?

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 08:34 AM
New management, same old crap. Pushing the stars away. Boggs, Clemens, Vaughn, Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn...the list goes on and on.

Please, Boston media and ownership. STOP.

I admit I was calling for Nomar's head when he struggled like everyone else, and it was a mistake. At the time, the Sox were playing poorly and it was easy to blame him. I really hope that somehow this can be patched up and we can have the passionate Nomar who loves Boston, loves Fenway Park, and strives to win it all as a Red Sox.

I hope Nomar retires in Boston...but for the love of pete....Nomar, accept a fair contract offer when you recieve one!

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 12:02 PM
it would be really cool if players actually read these forums. then they would know what we really think, aside from all the public media and all their biased opinions...

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 12:08 PM
And Francona would know we hate him.

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
and then hed get a clue to change some things to get us to like him, and hed learn about how we say screw moneyball, and he would learn something.

gosox613
07-19-2004, 08:53 AM
i think that we are definelty going to sign at least two or three of those free agents, (lowe, tek, nomar and pedro) and we will probably give pedro around 14-15 mil. if we only got him, it would mean a very new team next year which wouldnt be very good for their team chemistry

trot4mvp
07-19-2004, 08:58 AM
gosox...you could argue that this year's Yankees team has a much different face than it did last year with the additions of Brown, Vazquez, Lofton, Sheffield, Quantrill, Gordon, Sturtze, etc. (hmmm...am I missing someone??? ;) )

As long as the team's core (Ortiz, Manny, Pedro) stays intact, I think the Sox's chemistry will be fine. Chemistry is nice, but talent wins ball games, and if the Sox can improve on this year's talent, I'd be more than happy.

element1151
07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Zenny@Jul 8 2004, 07:32 PM
$14 to $15 and see how he reacts to it and base the second offer on that.
I voted 13-14 with the same idea.

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I think Tek and Pedro will re sign and I think 15 mill a year is a good price for him.

schillingouttheks
07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
we dont want tek, visit the kelly shoppach thread in minor leagues for more info on why.

Sizzlin22
07-24-2004, 01:50 PM
I want Tek A. he's having a bad season (like everyone else) and B. he's a clubhouse leader and C. he manages the pitching staff like no noe else in baseball. There are some attributes that Tek brings to the team that Shoppach can't bring.