PDA

View Full Version : Rumors

elsrbueno
07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
The hottest rumor has been the possibility that Randy Johnson MAY be coming to the east coast. The bad news is that Newsday is reporting he prefers the Yankees to Boston because they have a better shot at the series...

I say if either team gets Randy, they (in my mind) instantly become the favorite in the AL.....

All other Red Sox rumors are cooling off.....

Peter Gammons chatted last night on WEEI about the possibility Roger Clemens may be traded (and want to come to Boston) before the deadline if Houston continues to struggle. He thought it was doubtful, with a more realistic option being Wade Miller...

Gammons also said there's a good possibility Houston moves Beltran if they're not in contention...

Ortiz34
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
The Yankees will not get Randy. If it is a battle between the sox and the yanks, the redsox wont let this slip through their fingers again. I hope.. agh

elsrbueno
07-09-2004, 02:41 PM
honestly, I hope that you're right. I just have that sinking feeling.....

Tek04
07-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Fitting that a New York newspaper posts that. Yankees have nothing to offer anyway..and im sure after Schill's wife sits and chats with Randy's wife...that he will come to boston :P

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Yeah, seriously, the D'Backs and the Yankees don't get along too well, remember that whole David Wells ordeal. Besides the Diamodbacks will probably request the whole Yankees farm system and Javier Vasquez for RJ. The Red Sox have a lot more to offer, and they get along with the Diamondbacks. Also, if RJ and Curt really are friends I'm sure the Big UNit would love to come to Boston as would Mrs. Unit, who is friends with Mrs. Curt. I don't that any of us Red Sox hans have anything to worry about, Johnson isn't going to the Yankees.

schillingouttheks
07-11-2004, 02:41 PM
hopefully curt and randy can talk at the all star game and curt can tell randy about the diehard fans we are. we have accepted him different than the yankee fans would have. now, im not saying we dont expect winning, because we do want it very bad, but i think the yanks would have been something like this:

"look its schilling! hes so good! now that hes a yankee hes my favorite! now do the winning before we boo you."

sox fans want our pitchers to win, but we dont force it upon them, yes they are suppose to earn their contract, but we dont expect the winning in the ways of NY. they expect a world series championship every year. we die for one. we applaud a players EFFORT AND PERFORMANCE. NOT JUST PERFORMANCE. a lot of yanks fans, not all of them, dont know just how sweet winning feels because they get too much of it.

Ortiz34
07-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Nomah, you gotta take your pick. You have been saying u hope the redosx get clemens and Johnson, but we can't get both. Settle on one of them, so who will it be? I say RJ for sure.

schillingouttheks
07-11-2004, 09:14 PM
ortiz, im just saying the possibilitys of both, if u didnt read my clemens thing carefully enough, which u probably didnt, i clearly stated the roger thing if we dont get RJ

Ortiz34
07-11-2004, 09:22 PM
my bad

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Latest Buzz on Clemens: No Way! Astros say they aren't moving him (no surprise here)

Latest Buzz on Johnson: Curt Schilling's wife sitting next to Randy's wife at the All-Star game?

Could the Randy Johnson/Curt Schilling relationship be enough to convince Randy to come to Boston?

trot4mvp
07-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Any word on who we'd have to give up for RJ?

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM

I read a report saying Arizona would want TOP prospects for Johnson, meaning:

Alvarez, Shoppach, AND Youk.

Seems like a lot to give up....

Also he wants an extension (2 years after 2005) so he can try to win 300.

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...r2004&fext=.jsp (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040712&content_id=797110&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04/ne...tory?id=1838530 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04/news/story?id=1838530)

Randy said he'd waive his no-trade to go to a contender.

Theo, get on it

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 12 2004, 12:17 PM

I read a report saying Arizona would want TOP prospects for Johnson, meaning:

Alvarez, Shoppach, AND Youk.

Seems like a lot to give up....

Also he wants an extension (2 years after 2005) so he can try to win 300.
Actually, there was some sort of trade rumor reported by some radio station in flagstaff that would have sent Lowe, Millar, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and cash considerations. This was reported on NetSports. Here it is.TRADE RUMOR (http://forums.netsports.com/showthread.php?threadid=39126)

trot4mvp
07-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Awesome...this trade would free up the weakest spot in the rotation, get rid of Kentucky Fried Kevin and his $3.5M salary, and give up a so-so prospect, while keeping Youk, Shopp, Alvarez, etc. Sounds too good to be true...and unfortunately, it probably is. I'm not saying I doubt the ability of the Sox' front office, but until I see RJ in a Red Sox uniform, I'm not going to get too excited about it. I also think the source is pretty weak...we all know how wrong radio/internet sources have been lately in Boston, and I have no reason to trust some radio station in Flagstaff.

Also, it is important to note that Jerry Colangelo and the D'Backs are not on working terms with the Yanks because of the whole David Wells fiasco from a few years back (nomah555 had mentioned this earlier). As we can all recall, Steinbrenner was so upset that the Sox were able to land Schilling and he wasn't able to because of the bad blood between the DBacks and Yanks that he went and got Vazquez AND Brown

elsrbueno
07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Trot-
I hope you're right about the Dbacks not wanting to deal with the Yankees.

NMO-
That trade does sound too good to be true. Lowe, Millar, and a couple single-A guys for the best LHP in the game today?!? I think if Arizona agreed to an offer like that, Theo would have already taken it!

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
the guy said it was just reported at 8 so who knows
alot of thinking will have to go forth in the decision making on the part of the DBacks

CrespoBlows
07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm sorry to disapoint you all, but I don't see Johnson being traded to any team, besides the Angels. The Red Sox do have a deep farm system, but really no stars in it.

The Yankees don't have shit, not to mention any thing worth anything to the D-backs. Just who do the Yankees have? Navarro? What did he hit Double A? Around .240? Please.

The Sox can offer a few people, Youkillis is one, but why would the want him? They have Chad Tracy/Shea Hillenbrand at 3rd. Abe Alvarez is one the D-Backs would want, So would Lester, and maybe A-Mart. The Sox could offer a player such as Kevin Millar, or Derek Lowe. So the Red Sox are a slight possiblity, but do any of these players would make you forget about Randy Johnson? No not really.

Maybe the Angels if the would take the salary on. They have some great prospects in Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, and Ervin Santana not to mention a lot more. The Angels won't take on Johnson salary though, they can't afford it.

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by trot4mvp@Jul 13 2004, 11:46 AM
Awesome...this trade would free up the weakest spot in the rotation, get rid of Kentucky Fried Kevin and his $3.5M salary, and give up a so-so prospect, while keeping Youk, Shopp, Alvarez, etc. Sounds too good to be true...and unfortunately, it probably is. I'm not saying I doubt the ability of the Sox' front office, but until I see RJ in a Red Sox uniform, I'm not going to get too excited about it. I also think the source is pretty weak...we all know how wrong radio/internet sources have been lately in Boston, and I have no reason to trust some radio station in Flagstaff.

Also, it is important to note that Jerry Colangelo and the D'Backs are not on working terms with the Yanks because of the whole David Wells fiasco from a few years back (nomah555 had mentioned this earlier). As we can all recall, Steinbrenner was so upset that the Sox were able to land Schilling and he wasn't able to because of the bad blood between the DBacks and Yanks that he went and got Vazquez AND Brown
the guy reporting it was "close in negotiations" and that " a deal was imminent"

trot4mvp
07-13-2004, 12:35 PM
NMO...I'm still hesitant to believe this rumor. Like I said, I need to see him in that Sox uni.

Does anybody remember that rumor that was up on BDD a week or two ago? The 3-way that would've shipped Nomar to LA and brought in Delgado and Perez? This trade seems as preposterous as this one...alas, stranger things have happened.

elsrbueno
07-13-2004, 01:04 PM
We're all a bit scarred from the A-Rod fiasco. Like Trot, I won't believe the rumors until I see him in the uniform. Remember A-Rod was as good as here, and now he's a Yankee.

trot4mvp
07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
SoSH is citing a source from Briefing.com (some stock news website) that a 3-way is in the works that would send Nomar to the White Sox, prospects to the D'Backs, and RJ to Boston. Source said the deal will be done tomorrow because deals can't be made the day of the All-Star game. Boston Globe cites this rumor as well.

Sounds like another bogus one...I go to school in Chicago and have become somewhat of a fan of the White Sox. I'm pretty sure they don't have any major prospects to give to AZ, though. They sent their #1 (Jeremy Reed (sp)?) and Miguel Olivo to Seattle; can't imagine they'd have much more to give the DBacks.

I hate rumors as much as the rest of them, but I just want you guys to know what's out there.

elsrbueno
07-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Trot,
Thanks for sharing. I know I appreciate hearing what's out there.

I have to admit I was the hardest on Nomar when he was struggling, but also I will be sad to see him go if this deal goes down. I liked the Lowe/Millar thing better....

Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

RedSoxRooter
07-13-2004, 03:16 PM
It's not on the Globe's website..

RedSoxRooter
07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I stand corrected: From the Globe's website.

More Nomar rumblings
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: Are the White Sox getting in on the Nomar discussion again? There are rumblings on the 'Net that a three-way deal involving the Red Sox, White Sox and D-Backs could be in the works that would send Nomar from Boston to Chicago, prospects from Chicago to Arizona and -- here's the kicker -- Randy Johnson from Arizona to Boston. There's nothing solid to back this up at this point, but we're continuing to dig to see if there's anything to this. At this point, it's merely wild speculation. Other whispers out there: Nomar to the Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Cesar Izturus; Nomar to the Pirates for pitcher Kris Benson and shortstop Jack Wilson; Nomar to the Angels for prospect Casey Kotchman and either second baseman Adam Kennedy or shortstop David Eckstein. The shortstop-seeking Cubs also inquired about Nomar. At this point, however, none of these scenarios seems likely. We expect Nomar to ride out the season in Boston before leaving for free agency, but that could certainly change as the July 31 trading deadline approaches. ... On Wednesday morning's SportsCenter, ESPN's Peter Gammons said he didn't think Garciaparra would ultimately be dealt before the July 31 trade deadline. Gammons also said that Sox GM Theo Epstein went to Atlanta last weekend and talked to Nomar to try to ease his discontent with the team. Another interesting tidbit found in the Metro West Daily News: Apparently, Dodgers scouts were at Fenway on Tuesday night checking out Nomar.

trot4mvp
07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
I was going to say...I had just seen up there...I wonder what rumor they will come up with next??

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 06:59 AM
Here's the latest one being reported by NY Times, BDD, and Boston.com (Globe):

Nomar goes to the Cubs for prospects, then Theo spins those prospects to AZ for Randy Johnson.

This deal would make a lot more sense to me than the supposed Boston-White Sox-D'Backs deal being reported yesterday. The Cubbies are literally stocked at AAA and AA with prime pitching prospects (this is the system that has produced Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano, Dontrelle Willis, Sergio Mitre, etc. over the years). I have a feeling this deal wouldn't happen, though...the Cubs have a greater need for a powerhouse lefty (Johnson) than an angry SS in his walk year (Garciaparra)...why wouldn't they just trade their prospects to the D'Backs for Johnson? Still speculation at this point; no real negotiations...keep the rumors coming!

elsrbueno
07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
I read the Nomar to the Cubs rumor this morning. In the same article, it effectively kills the Nomar to the White Sox rumors. We're going to read a lot of wild rumors in the next few weeks, so don't believe everything you hear...but the Nomar/Prospects/Johnson deal makes sense:

Chicago has 5 good starting pitchers. they only really need 3 or 4 in a potential playoff situation, and I don't imagine any of their current starters would be thrilled about being delegated to the bullpen. So Randy to the Cubs makes little sense to me. Some Chicago players (Alou, Sosa, Wood) were saying in an article I read that they wanted more offense. Nomar would certainly provide that, seeing as he's still one of the best hitting shortstops in the game. The way I see it, Cubs can improve offensively at 2 positions: Shortstop and Center Field. I still think they need a left handed hitter....but Nomar certainly is an upgrade over their current situation.

There's no question what Johnson would mean to the Red Sox. They'll be hurt from the loss of Nomar, but I personally believe they ultimately have enough offense to succeed without him (especially with Johnson added to the staff).

Arizona's going nowhere. They believe that they'll compete as early as next year, but the cold, hard truth is that they aren't getting any younger right now. Granted it's not a strong division, but I think San Diego's on the rise over there...Getting prospects (who knows which ones) certainly helps with the rebuilding process.

The deal makes sense to me. That being said, I'm not the one signing the paychecks or negociating trades either....

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Good points, but I can't agree that the Cubs would turn down a rotation of Wood, Prior, Johnson, Clement, and Zambrano for a rotation with Glendon Rusch in Johnson's place. They definitely need a bat, and they definitely have the prospects to attain one, but there's not a lot out there. SS is definitely their weak point, but the Sox WILL NOT trade Nomar for prospects, IMO. I heard they'd be more likely to go after Cabrera, which I don't think would be a bad pick up for them...could use a change of scenery. 17 days until the deadline....

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I would love the SOx trading Nomar for RJ, as we will have perhaps the best 1-2-3 in the game, but we will be losing offense if we trade Nomar. Is there anyway we could then acquire a second baseman or shortstop to replace Nomar's bat. If we were talking about this in the offseason, I would Alfonso Soriano, but i think Texas will win the West, so they wouldn't part with Soriano. Is there anyone you guys could think of?

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I think we did alright without Nomar in the lineup for the better part of the first half, and I honestly don't think this team would be worse off without him.

Texas will not win the AL West this season...their lack of pitching depth is alarming. Soriano is arbitration-eligible next season and I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't resign him.

Who else is available? Orlando Cabrera, Edgar Renteria....my mind is drawing a blank...anyone else care to add to this brief list?

elsrbueno
07-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NomarMannyOrtizzle@Jul 14 2004, 09:39 AM
I would love the SOx trading Nomar for RJ, as we will have perhaps the best 1-2-3 in the game, but we will be losing offense if we trade Nomar. Is there anyway we could then acquire a second baseman or shortstop to replace Nomar's bat. If we were talking about this in the offseason, I would Alfonso Soriano, but i think Texas will win the West, so they wouldn't part with Soriano. Is there anyone you guys could think of?
NMO,
I have to agree with you that Texas probably won't trade Soriano, but disagree that they'll win the west. Just don't think they have the talent to keep up with Anaheim AND Oakland in that division.

That being said....onto the topic of second baseman/shortstops.

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A BRAINSTORM. I am also going to say before I go into this, that I would be OK with Pokey playing SS and Bellhorn starting everyday at second, although I realize not all folks are. Here are the options that may present themselves.

Jose Vidro: Off the market. The Expos locked him up for a few years, and need some quality players for when this team moves next year.

Orlando Cabrera: On the market: Is a very solid player, although he's been playing poorly this season. Up for free agency after this season, probably no chance he'll re-sign with the Expos.

Robby Alomar: Very much ON the market, but is he valuable? Has a bit of an atitude, and his performance has dropped severely. The perks: He might be able to come over in the same trade (currently plays in Arizona) and has a pretty cheap contract.

Jeff Kent: This idea's been thrown around a little. Kent is in his final year of a contract, and is a solid bat. He has a no-trade clause though, which throws a monkey-wrench into things. If Houston falls out of the race, they MAY shop him.

Jerry Hairston Jr/Brian Roberts: One of them's gotta be the starter in Baltimore, and one would think there's no room for the second. They've both been rumored to be going to the Yankees...Baltimore may move one, but since they're both pretty cheap, there's no motivation to do so before the deadline.

Bret Boone: Expensive and underperforming in Seattle. He'd probably be easy to get, and may benefit from a change of scenery.

Rich Aurilia: See Boone.

That's all I can think of right now. What do you guys think?

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 12:31 PM
The only person I'd be remotely interested in would be Cabrera because he's slightly younger than the rest of the guys on the list besides Hairston/Roberts.

I couldn't see Baltimore trading competent major leaguers within their division, be it the yanks or the sox. As for the rest of the guys on the list, I don't want their aging bodies and heavy contracts....talk about slim pickings for middle infielders! I'm much more satisfied with Bellhorn and Reese.

elsrbueno
07-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Trot,
I agree with you 100%.

I like the depth right now of having a very good infielder on the bench (be it Youk, Reese, Bellhorn) on the bench, but I think all are capable of playing every day (as they've proven). I think the Sox would have a significantly weaker bench if a trade like this went down, which would be a problem....

If I were Theo, I'd make this trade, but probably seek a solid bench infielder in another trade.... Or make a move for Cabrera (who's better than he looks this year)

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Absolutely...trading Nomar would inevitably force us to bring up someone like Crespo (it makes me sick just to type his name) as a backup unless we were able to swing someone else in on a deal. The middle infielder market is looking awfully thin right now!

Wouldn't it be great to add Alfonso Soriano to this team? Despite the fact that he is a former Yankee, this guy is down right nasty ... I remember there being a rumor on this board a few weeks ago that the Sox were considering making a move for him ... I'd take Soriano over ARod any day.

ACL BoSox
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
*cough* Jack Wilson *cough*

trot4mvp
07-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Won't happen this summer, mark my words.

elsrbueno
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I REALLY like Soriano. His plate discipline needs work, but he is SOOO talented. He would be awesome in Boston.

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Here it is folks...this one seems a bit more credible than rumors of the past. I picked this one up off of SoSH, which found it off the Royal Rooters (http://redsoxnation.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6758) site...

The first shoe has dropped. Mendoza has been taken off the DL and is in Anaheim. Kevin Youklis has been sent back to Pawtucket.

People in the Pawsox camp told me tonight that

Mendoza is NOT healthy and they expect all hell to break loose on Thursday. What I was told is Nomar going to Chicago, but we don't know what side yet.

The DBacks will decide.....it appears that RJ is indeed coming here according to the PawSox people I was with after the game.

Stay tuned.

Also, there are rumblings that Todd Helton may come to Boston...no concrete rumors yet, but Helton did mention on ESPN Radio that he'd accept a trade to Boston or Atlanta...if this rumor gains any steam, we should be hearing more details in the next couple days. Personally, I don't think it's happening. I see the Rockies moving Preston Wilson and Larry Walker before Helton, but that's just me.

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Trot,
I guess I don't understand why this rumor becomes MORE credible than any others.

Youk goes down, Mendoza comes up....

Please explain.

The Todd Helton thing is VERY interesting.

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-15-2004, 09:51 AM
No Todd Helton. No, no, no, no, no. His contract runs through 2011 at 16.6 million per season. Do you really want the SOx to pay that and Manny's 20 million, among others?

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Again, the Helton rumor is so weak right now that it is almost not worth mentioning. Many will agree that the Sox will not take him on without Colorado taking on $20-$40M of his contract.

The only reason I could think for it being important is that they are possibly trying to showcase Mendoza as part of the RJ trade...? SoSH posters indicated that he is a source close to PawSox mgmt, who may be involved if the Sox are considering trading players out of Pawtucket...?

Lastly, I forget where I read it, but Randy Johnson's agent was in Pawtucket last night and was on the phone with Theo...

stocker323
07-15-2004, 10:20 AM
If there was a trade I would think that the PawSox management would be one of the last to know so I really don't think there is any credibility to the rumor.

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by trot4mvp@Jul 15 2004, 09:56 AM
Again, the Helton rumor is so weak right now that it is almost not worth mentioning. Many will agree that the Sox will not take him on without Colorado taking on $20-$40M of his contract.

The only reason I could think for it being important is that they are possibly trying to showcase Mendoza as part of the RJ trade...? SoSH posters indicated that he is a source close to PawSox mgmt, who may be involved if the Sox are considering trading players out of Pawtucket...?

Lastly, I forget where I read it, but Randy Johnson's agent was in Pawtucket last night and was on the phone with Theo...
This portion of the report was what I found MOST interesting of all.

Now before we get too excited about Theo talking to Nero (Johnson's agent) is there a way to find out his list of clients? Perhaps a Red Sox player also has Nero as an agent and this is a non-issue.

RE: Helton: I think a move for Delgado is more desirable at this point....Because of the financial implications (Delgado is a FA after this year).

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Last updated: 7/15

This could take a while ...

BUZZ FACTOR -- High: Sources indicated to several newspapers that the D-Backs have had conversations with five teams regarding Johnson: the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox and Angels. The Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo ran into Johnson's agent, Alan Nero, at the Triple-A All-Star Game on Wednesday night, and his report in Thursday's Globe is very revealing. Among the key tidbits:
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein called Nero at the game.

According to Nero, here's how the sweepstakes will play out: the D-Backs must agree to any deal first, then will go to Johnson with the trade, and he'll have the final say over whether he'll be dealt. Nero wouldn't say where Boston ranks on RJ's wish list, but Cafardo wrote "reading the tea leaves, it appears the Red Sox would be a hard sell." The East Valley (Arizona) Tribune seemed to back up that interpretation, reporting that a person who speaks often with Johnson said that Johnson's public comments this week about a possible trade should be interpreted to mean the Yankees are the only team he is interested in joining. Other sources indicated to Cafardo that Johnson would prefer to go to the Yankees, followed by the Angels. Because of the complexity of the situation, Nero anticipates that if Johnson does get traded, it will be close to the July 31 deadline. Nero also believes there is a strong possibility Johnson will remain with the Diamondbacks. One source told the New York Post that nothing was imminent with Johnson: "It's all very preliminary," the source said. "They haven't gotten into this-guy-for-that-guy yet. It's very early." ... It appears the Dodgers are out of the race, according to the LA Times. ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported early this week that an official of one club who talked to the D-Backs said they would have to be blown away by an offer, that it would have to be "a steal of a deal" to make it worth their while.

Here is most of what I've been posting in a nutshell.

I'd say the Sox would be interested in Delgado, as well, IF they were looking for a short term solution. However, perhaps the Sox are interested in a long term solution? In that case, Helton fits the mold perfectly with his awesome bat and great defense. Suppose NMO's figure is correct for Helton: $16.6M/year until 2011. Essentially, Sox would owe him somewhere around $116M over the next 7 seasons. If the Rockies kicked in, say, $40M in any deal, it'd knock the overall price down to ~$76.4M. Spread that over 7 years and we'd have Todd Helton at ~$11M/year, much less than Manny, Petey, Schill, etc. Again, this is all speculation, as there aren't even any concrete rumors yet. From Colorado's standpoint, I don't see why they'd be interested in making a deal, much less fielding a team in the Mile High City. And if you've actually read this far...I'll stop rambling now.

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
I think the Rockies' desire to deal Helton would be solely based on the financial impact on their team. They've made some pretty crappy decisions, keep in mind they are still paying Mike Hampton (I don't know how much) to play in Atlanta, Denny Neagle ($9mil) who isn't even playing right now, Charles Johnson who's a shell of the player he used to be ($9mil).

Preston Wilson ($9) and Larry Walker ($11 mil) are also expensive players.

they have a $70 million payroll this year (according to ESPN) and are playing very poorly.

Can't hurt to shed some contracts...but they'll be stuck with Johnson and Neagle probably until their contracts expire...So guys like Walker, Wilson, and Helton top the rumor list.

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Remember my posting about Mendoza/Youk and RJ/Boston? Everyone was questioning the source, but Boston Dirt Dogs is now reporting that Mendoza has taken Youk's spot on the roster in Anaheim...the source is 1/2 right so far....

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
what did ur post say about mendoza and youk, i missed it

NomarMannyOrtizzle
07-15-2004, 12:02 PM
never mind, on the page before my bad

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Trot, I'm waiting for SOMEone from the Red Sox to make a comment on this move.....because it's a fairly major move I think.

I'll listen to the "Front Office Report" on WEEI tonight (Theo always talks for about 2 minutes) and hopefully he'll comment. (That wont be till late tonight though)

If he does, and it's important, I'll post it here.

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Sounds good, as I think this is an interesting development. We'll know if he's on the team if he's in uniform tonight.

I like Youkilis down in Pawtucket at least for a little while, and I'd also like to see Mendoza shipped elsewhere, though I'm sure we'd have to eat a bit of his contract.

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I just realized the game tonight starts @ 10...so pre-game starts at 9:30.

I'll post if I hear anything.