PDA

View Full Version : Mendoza Back On The Sox

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Bostondirtdogs.com is reporting that Mendoza has been activated and Youkilis is being sent down to Pawtucket...

Why on Earth would the Sox pull something like this? Last I heard, Mendoza was hurt again after letting up 5 hits in 1 2/3 innings in AAA...did a miracle happen sometime in the last 2 weeks? Anyone with any updates??

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 12:02 PM
All I got is this short little article from boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...emote_youkilis/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/07/15/sox_activate_mendoza_demote_youkilis/)

Can't find anyone else reporting the story.

stocker323
07-15-2004, 12:24 PM
They were talking about this on the radio the reason they did it was because his 30 day rehab stint had expired and they had to activate him or release him. They don't want to release him because they think thye might have a chance to trade him to someone like Baltimore. I don't expect him to be on the roster very long.

Zenny
07-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Fuck.

trot4mvp
07-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Zenny put it best...I hope they don't actually put him in an actual ball game. Mendoza makes me sick.

I mean think about it...do you really think the Yankees would've let Mendoza go if they knew he could continue producing for them? I tend to believe that they let him go knowing he had serious health issues, and the Sox have experienced the brunt of those issues.

Tek04
07-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Knowing Tito, he will put Mendoza in the game sometime :(

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Well this puts to rest the other rumers swirling about this being a roster juggling move right before a trade....

RedSoxRooter
07-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Bet you all a nickle he starts game 2 of next Thursday's double header against Baltimore. Pray he pitches good then and he may be an O real soon.

CrespoBlows
07-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Why on earth would the O's trade for Mendoza?

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 05:13 PM
I agree with you Crespo...the man is a free agent after the year, Baltimore isn't competing this year, he's done nothing to show he's ready to play at a competitive level in the majors....

Are they going to showcase him to potential trade partners? It would be really crappy if he blew some games for us in that process...

schillingouttheks
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
i think the reason the sox put him back into pawtucket was because well, we have mueller who we would like to start every game, with pokey at 2B and nomar at SS, like it was supposed to be with no bellhorn messing around. but the reason was, i think, was that youkilis was too good not to play everyday. if hes back in pawtucket he can play everyday alongside some other AAA future sparks for boston, earl snyder and kelly shoppach. truthfully, earl snyder can play 2B and was a AAA allstar. i say we try out snyder a few games and see what we can get out of him, maybe better than pokey. it would make a lot of people who think pokey should be benched feel good. mendoza, if he doesnt perform im sure we can trade him, but i agree with everyone else, not the o's. out of contention, bottom line, but the truth is, its not like mendoza would HELP a team, he would more like just be added. maybe mendoza for cash would be nice if we could find someone stupid enough to do it...

elsrbueno
07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
nomah,
I agree with moving Youk down, he deserves to play every day....However, I don't understand bringing Mendoza up...i thought he was hurt still?!?

I missed the Theo part of thepregame... :(

noonanberg
07-15-2004, 09:31 PM
I hate Mendoza. But who knows, maybe we can dish him to someone like the Padres who might want to take a chance on a guy who was once as dominant as Mendoza was. Get a few prospects or something in return. Then maybe trade them for Johnson. :D Sorry, got kinda carried away...

CrespoBlows
07-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Not a bad idea net a B prospect for Mendoza maybe?

schillingouttheks
07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
good point actually. of all teams i could think of, padres would be last on my list.

trot4mvp
07-16-2004, 07:09 AM
I just realized that bringing Mendoza in to pitch the 9th last night was the only managerial decision that did not blow up in Terry Francona's face last night. CONGRATULATIONS TITO!!!