PDA

View Full Version : Sox Changes (Poll)

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Curious to see what people's opinions are on this one. If you could only do one of these things.....Which one would you do?

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 12:24 PM
For me, the biggest dissapointment has been the starting pitching. Lowe/Arroyo have simply not been sufficient.

If I could make only one move, I'd try to get a top-flight starting pitcher to throw behing Curt/Pedro.

The rest of the team should take shape. Bench Millar, play Ortiz/McCarty at first, Trot in right, Johnny in center, Manny in left.

Kapler replaces trot if necessary (vs lefties)

element1151
07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
I said starting pitching also, i think they might get Randy Johnson, we seem strong in the race to get him.

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
elem,
Although I don't agree with you....I hope you're right. (see my comments in "Rumor Mill" section for notes on that

sarasoxfan
07-16-2004, 01:35 PM
that wasnt fair---choosing one from that list
of course, I would fire. maim, shoot, whack, Francona and actjually wallace as well. I think, for better or for worse when you whack a manager the gamble is, of course, that the move will affect numerous other areas of the team and result in a new direction.

So I feel that by picking "firing tony" it might indeed adress a lot of those other problems.

Remember in the late 80's when they whacked McNamara and hired joe morgan right around the all-star break and the team remained relatively unchanged except for that and they mental and finished in 1st-winning streaks, new fire, blah..blah.

you cant trade everyone and I refuse to get caught up in thinking Johnson would solev all our problems. No offense to anyone in the nation, but it is that thinking that hurts the sox and their fans-it aint no fucking curse, it is the pervasive thinking in managment that all their other moves are fine, but that we need one or two more guys and we'd be fine. Randy Johnson, isnt going to juggle the lineup every night--with some half assed set-up so pokey or blowhorn or nomar or antone doesnt get thier little feelings hurt. Randy johnson, isnt going to rel;inquish control of the team to Nomar, pedro, or manny who come andgo as they want.
Randy Jonhson, isnt going to put that cocksucker alan embree in all the time and pull pitchers after the massacre.

We need a new direction in management and then we can tweak this or that.

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 01:52 PM
im sorry, but i dont think firing francona, although would be nice, is going to solve our problems. francona could use some help from say theo and some others in the clubhouse. whenever a bad decision is made, all the blame goes to francona, which most of it should be directed, but not all of it. i agree with sarasox in the fact that wallace should be fired too. if it was only francona i would not want to see another williams/kerrigan deal here, with wallace becoming the manager. i think we need a starting pitcher, as it is the problem we have faced all year. we have gotten the hitting down, and although i do agree with sarasox again with the fact that we cant piggy back the rest of the season on RJ, should we get him, which i do agree with ELS, we probably wont. i wouldnt be surprised if i didnt see him leave arizona. but should we get RJ, theres no saying that it wont HELP. it WILL help, and having RJ pitch behind curt/pedro or maybe right after wake with the pitching speed change, it definitely would help.

who says by firing tony well find someone better? we dont know that someone coming to boston and just taking over the depth of our team and being a manager would help, but we are insured that by having RJ, it helps, or maybe not RJ, but a top-notch starter, that would help and we can be sure of it.

we arent sure that if we fire terry, the possibilities of an even more crappy manager are good, but so are the possibilities of a good manager, but im just not willing to take the risk. i would not like to see wallace take over this team. i would give up on the sox the rest of this season all together if that happened. the way things are going lately, and if we can get on a better run like right before teh ASB, it would prove that terry was not the problem of this team, or if he was, it would prove that hes just learning and getting to be a better manager.

we need a starter, we have the defense, if we bench that clown millar, and we have the offense and the 'pen, which we just need to make smarter choices with. starting is our weakness.

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Sara,
I have to admit, I literally laughed out loud when I read your post about Randy not putting in Embree.

I understand your point, and respect your opinion. Mostly the point of this poll was to try to guage from RSN what people thought the BIGGEST issue is.

Of course, I don't believe any one of those things would solve all the problems.

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 02:04 PM
thats true also, we have too many problems in this club this year to hope to win it all. i have faith and surprises do happen in baseball, but we need the holes in the boat patched up before we sink. this poll proves when u look at it that there are way too many problems, and only picking one is a genius idea, because it proves how frustrating things are gunna be this season, as u can only handle one problem at a time. good job on this section and subject, ELS.

Ortiz34
07-16-2004, 02:32 PM
my lord get rid of millar, he is pathetic.

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Ortiz,
I certainly understand your desire to ditch Millar, as I see him more useful as a cheerleader than a player....

The question becomes: Who do you replace him with?

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 03:14 PM
the answer is clear, look in the "olerud released" section... *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

stocker323
07-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Judging by our number 3 starter's performance last night I think the answer is obvious.

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 11:31 PM
we werent talking about replacing lowe, we were talking about who would replace millar if we got rid of him.

element1151
07-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 16 2004, 11:04 AM
elem,
Although I don't agree with you....I hope you're right. (see my comments in "Rumor Mill" section for notes on that
Yea, now im not so sure on Randy Johnson. I did think that the Nomar to cubs deal was going to happen, but it doesn't look good now.

gosox613
07-18-2004, 11:06 AM
if olerud was released by the Mariners, who suck, then he is not going to be a very worthy replacement, especially considering his age, i think delgado would be a very good replacement, though he would be hard to get.

schillingouttheks
07-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by gosox613@Jul 18 2004, 11:06 AM
if olerud was released by the Mariners, who suck, then he is not going to be a very worthy replacement, especially considering his age, i think delgado would be a very good replacement, though he would be hard to get.
delgado doesnt want to waive his no trade clause in his contract. and u never know, because olerud may need a change of scenery. and we do have enough bats, but if we could get a gold glover at first base that would be awesome.

element1151
07-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by nomah555+Jul 18 2004, 09:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nomah555 @ Jul 18 2004, 09:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gosox613@Jul 18 2004, 11:06 AM
delgado doesnt want to waive his no trade clause in his contract. and u never know, because olerud may need a change of scenery. and we do have enough bats, but if we could get a gold glover at first base that would be awesome. [/b][/quote]
I don&#39;t think Olerud would be a bad investment for the rest of this year.
It will be impossible to get Delgado tho.

elsrbueno
07-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Delgado has said (through his agent) that he won&#39;t waive his no-trade. I&#39;d rather see Olerud than Delgado anyway because:

He wouldn&#39;t cost as much &#036;&#036;. The Sox could pick up Olerud AND make other moves.

He wouldn&#39;t cost as many prospects.

He&#39;s better defensively.

He&#39;s a proven leader, and a proven winner.

I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if the Sox made a run at Delgado as a FA next year, but I seriously doubt they&#39;ll pick him up in 04. Olerud is a possibility though...we&#39;ll see.

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
I was torn between a 1b and a SP but you can never have enough pitching so we need a top knoch pitcher.

Old Hoss
07-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I&#39;d get a 1B who can actually dig a ball out of the dirt. It would improve that whole infield. I still like Nick Johnson and am so sick of Kevin Millar on this team that I refuse to buy chicken from KFC. :o

Sizzlin22
07-23-2004, 12:18 PM
WE NEED A STARTING PITCHER STAT&#33;

batstats
07-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Does anyone else miss Grady right now?

elsrbueno
07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by batstats@Jul 23 2004, 12:23 PM
Yessir, I do.

I&#39;ll go on the record saying I thought it was an overreaction to fire Grady in the first place. Now that Francona&#39;s here, he&#39;s no better than Grady where Grady was weak, and he&#39;s not much of a leader.

There are better managers than Grady Little (there will be one in the opposing dugout tonight) but Francona isn&#39;t one of them (in my opinion)

schillingouttheks
07-23-2004, 03:12 PM
agreed, we all had our moments with grady, but he was a solid manager overall. overreactors we boston fans are (unfortunately).

Old Hoss
07-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Francona showed why he&#39;s a second class manager in last night&#39;s game. This guys a bum.

Sizzlin22
07-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by batstats@Jul 23 2004, 12:23 PM
Actually no I never lliked Grady ever he was FAR to late with the hook and cost us many games with that I jsut never liked the guy I odn&#39;t like Francona much better I want Black as our manager but hey I don&#39;t miss him.