PDA

View Full Version : To All The Nay-sayers

trot4mvp
07-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Alright people, seriously. Let's ease up on all of the doomsday/apocolypse discussion going around on this board and put things into perspective:

1.) The Sox are not, and I repeat, ARE NOT in any emminent danger of being knocked out of the playoffs right now. We are only 7 games back on the Yanks (almost half of which can be erased in a good series this weekend) and we are tied for first in the Wild Card standings. Sure, we should have won last night, but we can't win every game, and if I have to read about how horrible this team is (including comments from myself), I don't think I could come to this board anymore. I'd much rather discuss why things went wrong then complain about what went wrong.

2.) We've got 3 players in the midst of career seasons. Manny is in the Triple Crown hunt, Ortiz has been flat out productive, and Schilling is pitching for a Cy Young. Pedro has been no slouch either, reeling of several starts without a loss.

3.) Not only are we in the hunt for the playoffs, but we've done it with a team still isn't even close to full strength!!! Nomar is starting to come into mid-season form, Trot is still working his way back, SWilly's out, etc. etc. Fact is, we've been one of the most competitive teams in baseball and we haven't even clicked on full cylinders yet.

I know its hard, but let's try to steer clear of the complaining and focus on the many great aspects of this team (myself included)!!!! Let's start talking apocalypse if/when we get knocked out of the race.

CrespoBlows
07-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by trot4mvp@Jul 20 2004, 02:44 PM
Alright people, seriously. Let's ease up on all of the doomsday/apocolypse discussion going around on this board and put things into perspective:

1.) The Sox are not, and I repeat, ARE NOT in any emminent danger of being knocked out of the playoffs right now. We are only 7 games back on the Yanks (almost half of which can be erased in a good series this weekend) and we are tied for first in the Wild Card standings. Sure, we should have won last night, but we can't win every game, and if I have to read about how horrible this team is (including comments from myself), I don't think I could come to this board anymore. I'd much rather discuss why things went wrong then complain about what went wrong.

2.) We've got 3 players in the midst of career seasons. Manny is in the Triple Crown hunt, Ortiz has been flat out productive, and Schilling is pitching for a Cy Young. Pedro has been no slouch either, reeling of several starts without a loss.

3.) Not only are we in the hunt for the playoffs, but we've done it with a team still isn't even close to full strength!!! Nomar is starting to come into mid-season form, Trot is still working his way back, SWilly's out, etc. etc. Fact is, we've been one of the most competitive teams in baseball and we haven't even clicked on full cylinders yet.

I know its hard, but let's try to steer clear of the complaining and focus on the many great aspects of this team (myself included)!!!! Let's start talking apocalypse if/when we get knocked out of the race.
I agree with you 100%, this team is too good to miss the playoffs.

elsrbueno
07-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Trot,
I love your optimism! Maybe its just lifetimes of constant dissapointment that has Red Sox nation so prepared for doom on a daily basis!

Anyway, you're right...except I believe this team IS in need of minor adjustments.

trot4mvp
07-21-2004, 08:01 AM
elsrbueno...every team in baseball is in need of minor adjustments. I think we'll be alright. I'm expecting Theo to make at least 1 minor move before 7/31, and probably afterwards as well.

element1151
07-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Exactly, i don't think anyone doubts that this team shouldn't get the wild card.

batstats
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Whats funny is at the begining of the season everyone was saying how the Wild Card would definately not come from the East, but as the season moves on and inches closer to October its almost a reality that it will.

trot4mvp
07-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Agreed....Everyone thought the AL East would just beat up on each other, lowering everyone's overall record. However, Toronto and Baltimore have been flops, allowing the Sox and Yanks to head up the division again. In the meantime, the AL West has been playing pretty decent ball between Texas, Anaheim, and Oakland. However, because of the competition in this division, I think its fair to say that the Wild Card won't come out of this division (unless Texas stops overachieving and falls back down to reality).

RedSox24
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I think the team is great but they arent producing as they should be and i think a lot of the blame should go to Francona and his crew

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I truely believe this team can still win and will win and will make the playoffs I don't know why i feel that way i jsut do.

Old Hoss
07-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Well, if the Sox should capture the WC, that Yankee pitching staff is definitely beatable. I just want this Sox team to show me some HEART. Is that too much to ask? :(

Sizzlin22
07-23-2004, 12:15 PM
If we want to make the WC one thing we need is ti start winning more because we all know what Oakland does in the second half they won't keep losing the way they are now.

schillingouttheks
07-23-2004, 03:02 PM
everyone says we cant keep up with the likes of oakland...last time i checked we were unbeatable against them...with a sweep. ok and i understand we dont get to play them soon, so if they perform well against other teams...i see where all this is coming from...

Sizzlin22
07-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I believe we make the playoffs with the WC now how far we go in the playoffs who knows.