PDA

View Full Version : Wake

batstats
07-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Anyone heard any news on Wakefield and if he is going in either game tomorrow? Does anyone else think that it may be best to sit him tomorrow and to have him go in the Yankees series. He is a Yankee killer.

trot4mvp
07-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Who would we start in his place? My understanding is that they were going to call someone up from Pawtucket for one of the games...?

elsrbueno
07-21-2004, 12:09 PM
From mlb.com

Wakefield a go: Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield threw before the game Tuesday at Safeco Field and felt no ill effects form getting hit in the right shoulder by a batted ball in his last start and is scheduled to start game two of the Red Sox day-night doubleheader Thursday night in Boston.

The right-hander is 5-6 on the season with a 4.43 ERA.

Francona has yet to name a starter for game one of the twin bill.

There you have it. Wake's gunna start game 2 tomorrow

CrespoBlows
07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
MLB.com list Frank Castillo returning to make a spot start,

RedSoxRooter
07-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Greaaaat. The return of Rat-Boy. Mr. 6-15..... :rolleyes:

Zenny
07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Don't rule out Abe Alvarez just yet if they want to make a splash and get Lowe out of the rotation.

Zenny
07-21-2004, 10:25 PM
To further illustrate my point:

Alvarez has been scratched from his Thursday Portland start, possibly to be promoted to Pawtucket or Boston for a spot start.

www.soxprospects.com

I think he'll start tomorrow and then move to Pawtucket. If he pitches well over the next couple months, he has a very good shot at being in the 2005 rotation. As long as we don't bump him back and forth between pen and rotation like with Fossum, he shouldn't be a bust.

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Zenny,
That would be cool as it's always exciting to see rookies come up to Boston. Especially one with the promise to be a regular soon.

Do you think Abe is ready?

RedSoxRooter
07-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Looks like he's ready for today.. From the Boston Herald (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=36673):

Alvarez called up for spot start: More help may be on the way
By Tony Massarotti
Thursday, July 22, 2004

The Red Sox will not make an announcement until today, but all indications at Fenway Park last night pointed to left-hander Abe Alvarez making his first major league start in today's doubleheader against the Baltimore Orioles.

For now, Alvarez' arrival is just one of several personnel moves being contemplated by the club.

Drafted by the Red Sox in the second round of the 2003 draft, Alvarez will become the first draft pick of general manager Theo Epstein to reach the major leagues. The 21-year-old Long Beach State product is 8-6 with a 3.53 ERA in 19 starts at Double-A Portland this season. Alvarez left the Sea Dogs following a game Tuesday night to travel to Boston for today's doubleheader.

batstats
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Massarotti is an idiot

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 09:55 AM
"One of several moves?"

If bring up Youk and Alvarez is part of the plan....does that mean giving up on 04 and giving prospects the chance?

Zenny
07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 22 2004, 10:55 AM
"One of several moves?"

If bring up Youk and Alvarez is part of the plan....does that mean giving up on 04 and giving prospects the chance?
I don't think so, I just think they are better than the other options we have (Kester, Brown, Castillo- yuck).

I still think Abe will be a member of someone's 2005 rotation, hopefully ours. They'll probably send him to Pawtucket (a promotion from Portland) after this game so he can get a regular rotation spot. Then they'll probably call him up in September to get some work in. I seriously think they'll give him an opportunity to be in the '05 rotation in Spring Training.

trot4mvp
07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
I, for one, am excited to see Alvarez in a Boston uniform today, though they have to take that dreadful picture of redsox.com....its really embarassing.

If Theo is really committed to "building from within", then Alvarez will be in the Red Sox' organization next year. Today's performance, and possibly his performance in future starts this season, will help determine whether or not he has the makeup to pitch in the MLB.

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
It just seemed like the article was implying something...maybe I read too much into it.

Regardless, I hope Abe gets called up and does well today. We need it.

Has there been an official announcement yet?

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 22 2004, 12:03 PM
It just seemed like the article was implying something...maybe I read too much into it.

Regardless, I hope Abe gets called up and does well today. We need it.

Has there been an official announcement yet?
He got called up pitched well for a guys whos seen only AA hitters.