PDA

View Full Version : The Official "play Kapler More" Thread

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
"I think we need to battle a little bit harder, fight a little harder, I think we could have... we've had a couple of instances recently where we've gotten behind in a game and have become semi-lifeless, and I think it's important that we show some tenacity right now. I don't think we have a sense of urgency as far as wins and losses... we need to become the scrappy team that we are." -- Gabe Kapler

OK, so he isn't as playfull as Pedro or Manny, and he doesn't have the star power of Nomar,David Ortiz. But this guy's been playing so well lately, with the bat AND Glove...

Get this guy in the lineup and keep him playing while he's hot (and now there's more reason than ever before to keep Millar the fuck out of the outfield).

trot4mvp
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Absolutely...the less Millar plays in the outfield, the better the team will do, period.

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 12:04 PM
The less Millar plays period.....

I'd rather see Kapler in left, Manny DHing, and Ortiz playing first....

Chrupzilla
07-22-2004, 01:00 PM
No ... Ortiz is one of the worst defensive 1B in baseball ... he's a DH and nothing more. Play Kapler in RF vs LHP, and in LF for the games that Ortiz is suspended (Manny DH).

batstats
07-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Everyone is so quick to take the bat out of Nixons hands just because a lefty is pitching. I know he isnt the best at hitting them, but I like my chances with Nixon everyday in RF. How is he going to get better at hitting LHP if he never sees them?

That said, I like Kapler. I like his play of late very much. Play him as much as possible. Let him try first out if need be.

Chrupzilla
07-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Avg vs LHP this year: .111
Avg vs LHP last year: .219
Avg vs LHP in career: .214

I doubt he improves much ... he's 30. He's a great hitter vs RHP ... but he can't hit LHP.

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Play Kapler while he's hot sit him when he's not.

Old Hoss
07-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Glad to see someone on this heartless team finally speak up. Kapler should play more and should cut Millar's achilles tendons so he'll never walk again.

RedSox24
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Kapler did good so he doesnt play in game 2 of the double header, and bellhorn does. I wonder if kapler has any 1b experience that would be good. Maybe even some 2b experience to get Khorn out. If we're gonna cut anyone's achilles tendons it should be his, he sucks.

gosox613
07-23-2004, 08:45 AM
i think that the backups are beginning to prove themselves. mcarty has been doing good in lf and 1b and doing his share offensively, and kapler is hot right now. i think i rememebr hearing something about them saying that when they get to play more frequently, they get more comfortable at the plate and they hit better. i think that if we play kapler a bit more then he may produce more for us, especially considering he is a career underachiever considering his speed and strength

gosox613
07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
im going to have to disagree wiht redsox on cutting bellhorns achilles tendon. athough he does just about always go up there looking for a walk, he has better stats then milar, and he can deliver some clutch hits here and there. plus you dont see him shoving kfc in his face every commmercial break, do you?

elsrbueno
07-23-2004, 08:51 AM
gosox, I like your point. I've really liked McCarty since he came over. I'd rather have a team of Trot Nixons, Gabe Kaplers, Dave McCartys than the team that has plagued Boston of late. Why?

Think of the teams that win championships: Full of no-nonsense, hard nosed players. We all think of the Yankees as buying big named players, but who led them to all those World Series titles?

Paul O'Neil
Tino Martinez
Scott Brosius/Charlie Hayes (in the early days)
Derek Jeter (I still hate him)

Roll players like Jim Leyritz, Chad Curtis, some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

When the Yankees were winning, they had very few all-stars. They played very well as a team and knew how to win. I get the feeling that McCarty especially is that TYPE of player.

I think if Kapler played more he'd be that type of player too (my opinion).

gosox613
07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
i can see where you are coming from, but if we have the all stars, we shouldnt sit them, though we should give more playing time to those players

Sizzlin22
07-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by gosox613@Jul 23 2004, 08:54 AM
i can see where you are coming from, but if we have the all stars, we shouldnt sit them, though we should give more playing time to those players
Nomar needs to sit because his achillies still bothers him and Trot needs to sit because he cant hit LHP to save his life.