PDA

View Full Version : The Booing of Arod

rician blast
06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
this didn't necessarily need to be its own thread but what the heck...so let me ask a few questions that came to mind while listening to Mike and the Mad Dog on WFAN this afternoon.

Regarding the incessant booing of ARod:

Do you feel the booing of ARod is about appropriate, too much, not enough?

Do you Yankee fans feel that Jeter should step up, as Captain, and tell the fans enough is enough?

Does the fact that Jeter (and no one else, for that matter) has really supported ARod highlight some internal issues?

WFAN speculates that the rift that existed between ARod and Jetes prior to ARod's arrival in the Bronx still exists and that perhaps Jeter will not go to bat for the guy.

Thoughts?

Optimist
06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I think the booing of A-Rod is completely justified. I've always defended him, since the trade went through, but I wouldn't waste breath saying something positive about him right now. I don't usually bring contracts into these kind of arguments, but come on...he's being paid $25 million to hit .125 this month? $25 million and no HR's since May 27? $25 million and a single RBI all month? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do you Yankee fans feel that Jeter should step up, as Captain, and tell the fans enough is enough?

The way A-Rod is playing, I think we would need more than Jeter to ask for the booing to stop. Something along the lines of a video request from Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, and Thurman Munson might do the job...

Does the fact that Jeter (and no one else, for that matter) has really supported ARod highlight some internal issues?

I don't think so.

Pinstripe_Pride
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
See I think that Jeter not defending him does show there is some sort of a rift. You have gotta believe that if the Sox were bashing Bernie that every single person on the Yankees would be defending him. That's more of a true yankee vs. new yankee rift, but one's there nonetheless.

Optimist
06-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Something that was brought up on another forum was perhaps Jeter's still angry over those comments A Rod made in SI a while ago. If I remember correctly, he questioned Jeter's leadership; what better way to get back at him than not act like a leader when someone on the club is under fire?

RedRuffing15
06-14-2006, 04:52 PM
See I think that Jeter not defending him does show there is some sort of a rift. You have gotta believe that if the Sox were bashing Bernie that every single person on the Yankees would be defending him. That's more of a true yankee vs. new yankee rift, but one's there nonetheless.
Hes talking about the fact A-Rod is boooed by us(Yankee fans) at the games, not about Sox fans.
ehh, Jeter got booed during his slump a few back, then turned around....Mo got booed last year, then was lights out, so unless hes comparible to Sturtz...it should help

AlexanderTheGreat13
06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I think the booing has gotten a bit out of hand. I get the feeling that the fans are just waiting to boo him the second he appears from the dugout these days.

Cityofchampions33
06-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, also ARod is kind of egotistical and boatss his accomplishments waayyyy to much, like when he sold the autographed balls after his 10 RBI night, or was talking about how he wakes up early tow ork out in the offseaosn,etc. Liek he's trying to hard tow in over NY fans but he should just focus on playing. he's paid to be an offensive force, not to talk

yankeessuck013
06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
I think the booing of A-Rod is completely justified. I've always defended him, since the trade went through, but I wouldn't waste breath saying something positive about him right now. I don't usually bring contracts into these kind of arguments, but come on...he's being paid $25 million to hit .125 this month? $25 million and no HR's since May 27? $25 million and a single RBI all month? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm fine w/ it. Its a part of baseball and if hes letting it get to him, which looks to be the case, then he is doing nothing but proving them right.

The way A-Rod is playing, I think we would need more than Jeter to ask for the booing to stop. Something along the lines of a video request from Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, and Thurman Munson might do the job...

I dont think it highlights anything. The Yankee players hardly ever let anything leave the locker room and leak to the press. Its hard to tell whether they support him or not. But I think that they all understand the situation. The situation whether some fans can accept it or not is that A-Rod isnt going anywhere. There are only a handful of teams that can afford him and there is no way the Yanks can get anything back for him.

IMO A-Rod can fix alot of his problems just by loosening up and not take everything so seriously, hopefully that doesn't happen, b/c he's the type of player who can carry his team on his back (just not past the 6th inning).

Nope, they probably wouldnt listen anyway since most the people in the stands Booing are Shit canned to begin w/

RedSoxRooter
06-14-2006, 06:05 PM
It's probably just because of all the errors. If he were struggling at the plate but playing Gold Glove defense then they may not boo. Look at Gonzo at SS in Boston. If he played average defense like Bellhorn did, he'd probably already be booed out of town.

I think Arod's got like 10 errors so far.

And there is no way Jeter should stand up and tell the fans to stop booing. That would make Arod look like a pussy.

Youk Of The Nation
06-14-2006, 06:08 PM
It's probably just because of all the errors. If he were struggling at the plate but playing Gold Glove defense then they may not boo. Look at Gonzo at SS in Boston. If he played average defense like Bellhorn did, he'd probably already be booed out of town.

I think Arod's got like 10 errors so far.

And there is no way Jeter should stand up and tell the fans to stop booing. That would make Arod look like a pussy.

I think the vast majority of the fans who boo him at the Stadium probably dont understand or care about things like defense. To them, if he doesnt jack one to center field or finish the night with four RBIs at least, hes not being a good player.

Optimist
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Fans at the stadium just gave him a good hand when he came to the plate for his first AB....

...and then boo him when he Ks, moments later. I like this approach a little better.

AlexanderTheGreat13
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
A-Rod now is coming up with runners at 2nd and 3rd.

yankeessuck013
06-14-2006, 07:03 PM
OMG A HIT!!!!

WAIT....an error

BUT AN RBI!!!!

AlexanderTheGreat13
06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
A-Rod will take it at this point.

Mr Crunchy
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
arod
the guy who wanted to play for the dominicans until his image consultants decided he'd be better off playing for america before they explored the possibility of experimenting with the asian markets and have him playing for korea or japan

then you get the michale kay version
ARODS WIFE MONA IS MAD AT ME BECAUSE ALL HER DAUGHTER WILL SAY WHEN HER DADDY COMES UP IS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAA
I TOLD MONA THAT THATS A GOOD THING AND ISNT ARODS DAUGHTER JUST A LITTLE SLICE OF SWEETNESS
WHO KNOWS,MAYBE SOME DAY SHE TOO WILL GRACE THE HEAVENS WITH HER BATTING PROPENSITY JUST LIKE HER DADDY DOES
as arod taps into a 6-4-3 double play with the bases loaded

its the ballwashing that drives real ny fans insane
they know how much this guy has let them down over the years hes been in ny
they were embarassed when he got the mvp last year and as he looked like a boy against men when the moneys really on the table it only got worse

hes still very young and i suspect his best is still yet to come
however
if he had any fukin sense he'd fire his makeup people,his image consultants and just go out there and play baseball instead of posing for espn the magazine,gq and blew boy

rician blast
06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
The fans have a right to boo, that is without doubt. But if they truly cared about their team, wouldn't they back off? I mean the treatment of ARod is in part exacerbating his struggles, no?

ARod has to learn to just play ball and forget all of the PC shit and concerns over his image and also learn to ignore the fans boos...but I think that's going to be very hard for him to do.

As a Sox fan I say boo his ass off, Yankee fans, because I really think that you bear some of the responsibility for him not living up to his contract. Let's face it...he doesn't suck...he's just underperforming in relation to expectations.

If the day comes that Jeter or any other key Yankee player publicly steps up and supports ARod I'll be a little concerned, as a non-Yankee fan.

If the day comes where the fans back off and try and urge ARod on through acceptance (yeah, right!), I'll wonder if he's gonna turn it on big-time.

Until then I think ARod should say fck the fans, fck George, fck his image, and just play ball. Problem is, I don't think he knows how to do that.

Pinstripe_Pride
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
I mean the treatment of ARod is in part exacerbating his struggles, no?
Yeah well I'd agree with that considering on the YES broadcast they zoomed in on Arod after his at bat and he was banging his bat against the bat holder and he couldn't get it into one of the holes and he just kept hitting it and hitting it. I've definitely had bad days when things just mount and explode in one stupid instance, like I can't get the key into the door so i just keep jabbing and jabbing to no avail. You can really tell that Arod is getting super frustrated and it's going to be a vicious cycle. Arod can't hit and then he gets booed, Arod gets booed and then he can't hit.

Optimist
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
The team is going on the road for awhile, maybe that's the best thing for A-Rod right now.

yankeessuck013
06-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I didn't catch the game today,

However, I watched the highlights, and managed to catch A-rods temper go a bit wild in the dugout after his chance to come up big.

This shows me two things...one, A-rod is really starting to get affected by his non-clutch performances, and that he can't handle the booing from the fans.

If anyone wants to e-mail a-rod, some yankee fan sent him this in another board I post at : http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/players/rodriguez_alex/email.jsp

"How do you cash your paycheck? I'd feel guilty if I was robbing people of their money. Why couldn't the league have allowed the trade to Boston, so we wouldn't have to go through a slow, painful demise due to your play. Thanks for all those "clutch" hits, and timely errors. Good riddance."

Youk Of The Nation
06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
The team is going on the road for awhile, maybe that's the best thing for A-Rod right now.

Yeah, because he never gets booed on the road. Only in Seattle, Texas, Boston, Kansas City, Minnesota, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Oakland, Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Los Angeles of Anaheim, San Fransisco, Shea Stadium (does that count as on the road?), Florida, Atlanta, Washington, San Diego, Arizona, Cincinatti, Chicago again, Pittsburgh, Houston, formerly Montreal, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and St. Louis.

On the bright side, Im sure no one in Boise will ever boo him.

Optimist
06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah, because he never gets booed on the road. Only in Seattle, Texas, Boston, Kansas City, Minnesota, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Oakland, Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Los Angeles of Anaheim, San Fransisco, Shea Stadium (does that count as on the road?), Florida, Atlanta, Washington, San Diego, Arizona, Cincinatti, Chicago again, Pittsburgh, Houston, formerly Montreal, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and St. Louis.

On the bright side, Im sure no one in Boise will ever boo him.

There's a difference between getting booed at home and on the road.

yankeessuck013
06-15-2006, 08:15 PM
yeah on the road its worse

Optimist
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
yeah on the road its worse

Not really. It's louder (maybe not in this case) but most players, I imagine, don't mind being booed on the road (fans of other teams don't boo bad players.)

Youk Of The Nation
06-15-2006, 08:22 PM
fans of other teams don't boo bad players.

Boston fans boo A-Rod. :dunno:

Pinstripe_Pride
06-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Being booed at home is much worse than being booed on the road. At least on the road it can pump you up. When your home crowd is booing you it makes you press and want to impress them, and it would make me feel like shit to boot. On the road you can just say, "fudge 'em" and move on.

rician blast
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
You can really tell that Arod is getting super frustrated and it's going to be a vicious cycle. Arod can't hit and then he gets booed, Arod gets booed and then he can't hit.

exactly, and if he were on my team I'd want to give him a break to see if he turns it around...for the better of the TEAM.

But as a Sox fan I'm ok with it.

Optimist
06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
"Whatever you want to write right now, you're probably right," Rodriguez said. "So go ahead and rip away. Rip away, rip away. If I was a writer I'd probably write some nasty things too."

"If you want to write the worst articles you've ever written about someone, today's a good day to write about me."

Link (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NDg5MDgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

yankeessuck013
06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah I heard that on ESPN, and he they showed him trying to put the bat in the bat holder, I really can't imagine how frustrated he is right now.

Sad part is, George can't do 1 thing about it, because no one will take on that kind of $, except Boston.

Optimist
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
An interesting quote from that article...

And he's respected by the American League's most knowledgeable executives, notably A's GM Billy Beane, who recently said, "I'd take Alex in a minute. He's the kind of player everyone should be rooting for in this day and age. You know he's not doing steroids, he plays hard, he's good to the fans. And still he gets booed. I don't understand it."

I don't know if he was saying he'd just take the kind of player A-Rod is or, in a deal, he'd actually take A-Rod and whatever part of his contract.

Oh well, A-Rod's not going anywhere. Regardless of whether or not there are any teams that want him, I don't think the Yankees would trade him or he'd agree to it (I assume he has a no trade clause.)

AlexanderTheGreat13
06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Despite what has gone on I would never trade A-Rod.

yeszir
06-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Despite what has gone on I would never trade A-Rod.
Right, because then what would you do about your username? :dunno: :harhar:

AlexanderTheGreat13
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Right, because then what would you do about your username? :dunno: :harhar:
:D You got it! :lol:

RedRuffing15
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
If I was going to boo A-Rod, its only becuase he wears #13, and thats my ##, so I want it to be avalible when I get to the MLB to have.

DirtDog
07-25-2006, 09:53 AM
How much money are the Yankees paying him?:rolleyes:

rician blast
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
yesterday (I think in a different thread) I mentioned how even Michael Kay called out Jeter and Torre, saying that someone needs to show some support for ARod.

In that post I called into question Jeter's leadership as he sits by idly and lets ARod get abused, despite having supported Giambi and Knoblauch in their times of trouble.

What I forgot, but was reminded of by today's Dan Patrick show, in which Dan called for Jeter to step up, was that Jeter showed support for Bonds not too long ago, saying he should be left alone and it he was beong treated unfairly.

What gives? Is Jeter an ARod hater? Is he jealous of Arod's status as the former greatest all-around player?

Od did ARod implore Jetes NOT to say anything on his behalf? I think this is a real possibility...given ARod's arrogance, perhaps he won't ask anyone for help...and given his $25m per year salary perhaps he feels like it would be demeaning to himself to accept such support.

So what is it...is Jeter a bogus leader or is there something else going on? Whatever the case, the longer this situtation drags on the better.

Mr Crunchy
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
not sure jim
however 0
after spending a lot of time in prison i find arods purple lips and jetseys long,,maybeline type eyelashes extremely exciting
its not a gay thing mind you
im comfortable enough in my sexuality to call a man sexy when indeed he is

bwahahahahahahahaha

a700hitter
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
ARod is still whining. When told that former Mayor Giuliani said that fans should be supporting ARod, ARod said that he felt that people were supporting him but that people expect a lot from him. He could have stopped right there, and the whining would have been minimal, but he couldn't stop the whining. He went on to analogize his situation to Tiger Woods not making the cut at the US Open. He said that a lot of people threw Tiger under the bus after that, but he came back to win the British Open. I don't remember anyone throwing Tiger under the bus for missing the cut. People realized that it was his first tournament since his father passed away, and that he was still in mourning. Apparently, ARod views himself as being thrown under the bus. Would someone just hand this big sissy a handkerchief and tell him to go have a good cry.

a700hitter
07-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Or did ARod implore Jetes NOT to say anything on his behalf? I think this is a real possibility...given ARod's arrogance, perhaps he won't ask anyone for help...and given his $25m per year salary perhaps he feels like it would be demeaning to himself to accept such support.Based on his whining behavior, this is clearly not a realistic possibility. He's looking for love wherever he can find it.

rician blast
07-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Based on his whining behavior, this is clearly not a realistic possibility. He's looking for love wherever he can find it.

I don't see anything he's said as whining. I see him trying way to hard to convince everyone that his view is that its the fans right to boo, that he's working hard and that he'll get through it. And I maintain that it is a real possibility that he DOESN'T WANT anyone to speak up on his behalf due to his ego...its like a guy not asking for directions when he's lost.

Problem is he isn't convincing anyone, including himself. From a Sox fans perspective, the last thing we need is for the Yankee fans and the media to lay off of him, because if he breaks out he could carry this team.

So I say bravo to the NY media and the Yankee fans, keep pummeling this guy that you boasted about all year last year, your 2005 MVP. Yes, keep bashing him, you're efforts are appreciated.

Mr Crunchy
07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
he clearly needs to fire his image consultants

Coco's Disciples
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
ARod is still whining. When told that former Mayor Giuliani said that fans should be supporting ARod, ARod said that he felt that people were supporting him but that people expect a lot from him. He could have stopped right there, and the whining would have been minimal, but he couldn't stop the whining. He went on to analogize his situation to Tiger Woods not making the cut at the US Open. He said that a lot of people threw Tiger under the bus after that, but he came back to win the British Open. I don't remember anyone throwing Tiger under the bus for missing the cut. People realized that it was his first tournament since his father passed away, and that he was still in mourning. Apparently, ARod views himself as being thrown under the bus. Would someone just hand this big sissy a handkerchief and tell him to go have a good cry.

Way to compare yourself to Tiger Woods, tard. Not only is Tiger better than Alex at what they do, but Tiger's father died. My respect for Rod goes down even more.

rician blast
07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Way to compare yourself to Tiger Woods, tard. Not only is Tiger better than Alex at what they do, but Tiger's father died. My respect for Rod goes down even more.

Again I say this guy just tries too hard to say the right thing, to seem upbeat, etc...tries so hard that he keeps fkg up.