PDA

View Full Version : No Trade Clause

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Do you think too many people have no trade clause's I think it's getting out of control. I mean come on Jose Contreras has a no tradem ( though it would be funny for the Yankkes to make trade RJ for Jose and Jose vetos it.).

YanksHater213
07-23-2004, 07:52 AM
never thought about it. it doesnt bother me one way or the other

elsrbueno
07-23-2004, 08:45 AM
It does seem to handcuff a lot of teams if they players have one. I think from the players' perspective, it's nice to know you have control over your destiny...but the bottom line is, you get paid millions of dollars to play a game...so don't bitch if you have to play that game somewhere else....

It's the team's fault they agree to the no-trade clause...so I don't feel sorry for the owners either. Except 10/5 guys who automatically get no-trades...

I remember a couple times the no-trade clause was hurt their clubs:

Matt Williams to Colorado for Larry Walker. That's right, it never happened because Williams vetoed it.

Ken Griffey Jr to San Diego for Phil Nevin (to Cincy). Nevin vetoed this one. Really pissed off Griffey that they tried to trade him though.

I think that Johnson's no-trade is gunna kill Arizona, and Delgado's no trade already killed Toronto.

Sizzlin22
07-25-2004, 01:45 PM
I think Delgado will waive it he'll change his tune.

stocker323
07-25-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't think Delgado wants to play for an American team because he is not happy with America's decision to go to war. He showed this by going to the clubhouse when God Bless America was played in Yankee Stadium.

Sizzlin22
07-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Then he should go to the Expos the jackass.

elsrbueno
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I think Carlos is being silly by not waiving his no-trade (regardless of his reasons). What is he accomplishing by staying in Toronto?

He's beating up on his body playing on Turf.
He's playing for a team going nowhere but the AL East cellar.
He's in a contract year, and getting only negative publicity.

LA should pick him up (and he should waive his no-trade and go there). They desperately need a bat, he desperately needs to get out of Toronto (whether he thinks so or not)

GreenMonsterSeats
07-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Yeah the no-trade clause is a joke. If you're a superstar and not breaking the bank for your team then they will not want to trade you because you're drawing fans. A no-trade clause in a contract just insures the player.

I think all-sports should incorporate the "pay-for-play" clause....you have a crappy year then you don't get paid as well the following year or have to defer the salary in later years thus making you work harder to improve. haha!

elsrbueno
07-28-2004, 08:21 AM
GMS,
The idea of a low base, high incentive salaries seems like a much more fair way to do things, but the problem then becomes 25 guys now playing now for their individual salaries, not for the team.