PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Cabrera

elsrbueno
07-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I was in Montreal on Saturday night to see their victory over the depending champion Florida Marlins.

I just have to say that it's a shame Orlando Cabrera plays in Montreal. He's a damn good shortstop, and a decent player all around. Like many former Expos, he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Is Cabrera as good as Tejada/Nomar? No. But after watching him play I believe he could make a very good contribution to a contending team.

Will the Cubs go get him? Only time will tell....but if Nomar really does walk after the year, and the Sox can't get Renteria, Cabrera would be a decent 3rd choice.

GreenMonsterSeats
07-28-2004, 07:35 AM
I have thought all along, and mentioned Renteria and Cabrera in the same breath a few times on another Sox board. I think he would work well in the Sox lineup. Plays good defense and is young. All excellent qualities we're looking for.

CalvnHobs6
08-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Funny... he appears to play for the sox now!!

schillingouttheks
08-01-2004, 08:54 PM
and after todays game, i would have to say he has adjusted well, a HR first time up, and that last error wasnt his fault...kapler missed the cutoff. overall a good player.

Old Hoss
08-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Welcome to Boston; glad he didn't wind up in Florida......I mean, Orlando, Florida.

Sizzlin22
08-02-2004, 09:07 PM
I like him very much and I hearfd that they have already talked to him about resinging and he agreed anyone else hear anything like that?

Old Hoss
08-03-2004, 12:22 AM
I haven't heard that anything has been agreed to; just that Theo said on WEEI, "We'll see how things go and then make a decision."

elsrbueno
08-03-2004, 08:22 AM
I think it's a little early to be talking extension. He's played 2 games with the Sox. I think the Red Sox will probably wait, to see how he hits at Fenway, in a pennant race (he's never been in one in Montreal), how he gels with this team, etc.

I like Orlando a lot already though.

yeszir
08-03-2004, 09:38 AM
I've seen 0 of his playing ability so far, but I find it ironic that this thread was started and then the trade was made. Funny, n'est ce pas?

elsrbueno
08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeszir,
He's quality. I haven't seen him in Boston yet, but I've had the pleasure of watching him play in person in Montreal (which is actually why I started this thread). It's actually probably good that he gets a few games under his belt before he goes to Boston, so the fans know what he's capable of before they boo him...

Nomar is a great player...but I think Orlando Cabrera will be better for this organization for a few reasons:

Better defense. Even when both players are 100%, Orlando's got a GOLD GLOVE.
Decent Offense. Curt Schilling himself said Orlando is capable of 40 2B 20 HR .270/.280.
Durability. Orlando plays every game and plays hard.

He's cheaper, younger, and doesn't have an attitude.

YanksHater213
08-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Aug 3 2004, 01:17 PM
He's cheaper, younger, and doesn't have an attitude.
amen...

CrespoBlows
08-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I know a guy who played with Orlando Cabreara, ever since he played in Rookie ball. He tells me Orlando should bat 6th, because he always is thinking of hitting one out, if he bats 3-4-5.

Soxfan#1
08-18-2004, 05:48 PM
can u tell the future?