PDA

View Full Version : That's a true fan! by Kevin Maguire

Kmaguir1
07-19-2006, 02:17 AM
That's a true fan! by Kevin Maguire

Billy McMiltee is an 11 year old from Attleboro, Mass. He is dying of a rare form of leukemia. His doctors say he has less than 6 months to live. He has to stay in Boston Children’s Hospital and can’t go home to watch his favorite team, the Boston Red Sox, a team, it seems, he loves more than life itself.

The other day, young Billy was watching TV with his mom and dad and on SportsCenter there was a segment of another dying boy, from New York, who got to take batting practice with the Yankees, get a ball signed by Alex Rodriguez, and meet Joe Torre. His parents, seeing young Billy’s eyes positively light up during the segment, almost overwhelmed with joy, knew what they had to do.

The next morning, a call was placed by Billy’s mother to the Make-a-Wish foundation, which in turn contacted the Boston Red Sox, who said they would be happy to arrange Billy’s lifetime wish. The next day, Billy’s mom and dad told him that the Boston Red Sox would be calling tomorrow to ask him what he would like as one last wish. They were both curious as to what Billy might want. His dad remembered the way his son’s eyes looked during the Yankees segment on SportsCenter, and was glowing: “Son, who do you want to meet? David Ortiz? Maybe get your glove signed by Curt Schilling, or get a chance to have a lesson on pitching from Jon Papelbon?!?!” His son all of a sudden looked sad. His father asked, “What’s wrong, son?” “I don’t want any of those things, dad—that’s not what would make me happy.” His father was puzzled: his son was so happy the other day watching another kid have the same dream come true. So he asked his son what he wanted, and his son announced, “I’d really like to stick an ice pick in A-Rod’s balls”.

Soxfan#1
07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
LOL

Anyone been watching those mywish things on sportscenter? Some were pretty cool like the Bruschi one.

BoSox34
07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I've seen them, Kobe and Jeter ones were good too.

26 to 6
07-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I saw the McNabb, Mariners, and Jeff Gordon ones.

YankeeDoodle
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Haha, the narrator on the Roger Clemens' one was like, "Clemens even showed [the kid] some of his secrets to pitching, so secretive that he doesn't want our cameras to come too close." :lol:

BoSox34
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Roger acted like he was doing the kid a huge favor and when A-Rod signed the kid's baseball in the Jeter one, ARod had the most sour face and didnt even acknowledge the kid. Jeter is a good guy but ARod is a real jerk.

schillingouttheks
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
The McNabb one was funny because of the kid's priceless expressions at seeing his favorite team. Can't say I didn't crack a smile or two while watching them. Nice stories, all of them.

YankeeDoodle
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Roger acted like he was doing the kid a huge favor and when A-Rod signed the kid's baseball in the Jeter one, ARod had the most sour face and didnt even acknowledge the kid. Jeter is a good guy but ARod is a real jerk.
Well, see, that's just it. The kid could just stick an ice pick in some sour grapes and more or less it's would be the same thing.

BoSox34
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
I was hoping there would be a Red Sox one.

CrespoBlows
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Well, see, that's just it. The kid could just stick an ice pick in some sour grapes and more or less it's would be the same thing.

*Uncomfortable feeling*

(Why doesn't any wish something like that on Taylor Hicks?)

RedRuffing15
07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Yea, I liked the eagles one, becuase thats how I would be if it was the Jets, This Guy had a good wish (http://www.chaser.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1638&Itemid=26)........But....It didn't come true for him.

YankeeDoodle
07-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Cameron Diaz looks like the Joker. And LOL @ the Paris Hilton comment, so true.

yankeessuck013
07-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I've seen all of them. Love these inspirational and courageous storiess

YankeeDoodle
07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
One other thing, I was at this M-a-W orientation and the organizer told some stories about some of the celebs who really make it happen, and she made a passing comment about there are others who don't return calls or whatever.

She had the most disgusted look on her face when she said Lance Armstrong's name, which REALLY is surprising, imo. :dunno:

yankeessuck013
07-19-2006, 03:29 PM
My mom and girlfriend don't like Lance either, because he divorced his wife who helped him and took care of him while he had cancer and was recovering from it. So, who knows?

Optimist
07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
My mom and girlfriend don't like Lance either, because he divorced his wife who helped him and took care of him while he had cancer and was recovering from it. So, who knows?

I dislike Lance for the same reason.

a700hitter
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
I could give a shit about Lance Armstrong. I don't deny his accomplishments, but they are in a sport that no one watches and no one would give a shit about except for the fact that Armstrong beat cancer. What I like about Armstrong is that the French hate him with a passion. Go America!! Fuck the French traitorous ingrates!!

Anuj09
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Lance is the man

yeszir
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I could give a shit about Lance Armstrong. I don't deny his accomplishments, but they are in a sport that no one watches and no one would give a shit about except for the fact that Armstrong beat cancer. What I like about Armstrong is that the French hate him with a passion. Go America!! Fuck the French traitorous ingrates!!
Cycling is probably the most intense/grueling sport there is. You have to respect him for that.

a700hitter
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Cycling is probably the most intense/grueling sport there is. You have to respect him for that.It was in my second sentence. "I don't deny his accomplishments."