PDA

View Full Version : August 9th @ Kansas City

Pages : 1 [2]

Romine16
08-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Lets not use the injuries excuse. The team that is cruising right now ahead of the sox had a .325 hitter on the DL for 5 weeks, 2 perennial MVP candidates on the DL since early May, a 40mil starter on the DL the entire yr, the captain banged up, the CFer with a broken foot and a bad groin, a catcher with a bad knee, and a roided 1b with a multitude of small injuries. The sox injuries are very small in comparison to the yankees, the excuse doesnt work.

That maybe, but Tek is a vital part of the leadership of the Sox!! So I think it is a very logical excuse! Yeah the yanks went through injuries, and they had some good prospects that have stepped up, but their pitching was also sensational not to mention the bullpen and the sandman!!

a700hitter
08-09-2006, 11:27 PM
I haven't made a big deal of it yet, but it's blatently obvious that Theo needed to make atleast one move at the deadline.I haven't made a big deal of it either, but I think you are right.:lol:

a700hitter
08-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Has Papelbon's chariot turned into a pumpkin? SUnday he gives up a tying HR to a piece of garbage. Tonight he gives up a big triple and a double. Are teams starting to figure him out? Is he getting tired and losing a little somethig? or is it poor pitch selction without Tek behind the plate?

jsinger121
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
A bold move by Theo would be to designate Mark Loretta for an assignment and straight out give the job to Loretta. And I am totally serious about this move. I'm sick of watching Loretta and his empty .300 Batting average.

Romine16
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Has Papelbon's chariot turned into a pumpkin? SUnday he gives up a tying HR to a piece of garbage. Tonight he gives up a big triple and a double. Are teams starting to figure him out? Is he getting tired and losing a little somethig? or is it poor pitch selction without Tek behind the plate?

Could be a little of both!

jsinger121
08-09-2006, 11:32 PM

If u remember Mo had 7 BS in his first full year of closing in 1997. Not having tek back there also hurts. I wouldn't worry about Paps too much.

RoyNHSox
08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
The sun has to shine on the dog's ass every so often!!

The new Sox motto for 2006.

Romine16
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM

Im glad you like it

Optimist
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM

I think it's actually, "Thanks for the starter, Theo!"

I keep reading this phrase in these threads.

a700hitter
08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
A bold move by Theo would be to designate Mark Loretta for an assignment and straight out give the job to Loretta. And I am totally serious about this move. I'm sick of watching Loretta and his empty .300 Batting average.Without Loretta getting on in front of manny and Ortiz, pitchers will work around them completely and the offense will go into total shutdown mode.

jacksonianmarch
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
If u remember Mo had 7 BS in his first full year of closing in 1997. Not having tek back there also hurts. I wouldn't worry about Paps too much.

every closer has a streak of being ineffective. How they come out of it determines how good they will be.

RoyNHSox
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Im glad you like it

I don’t like the fact that it kind of sums up the way the Sox have been playing lately.

Romine16
08-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I don’t like the fact that it kind of sums up the way the Sox have been playing lately.

Understandable, but I was implying the Royals were the "proverbial" dog's ass!!

RoyNHSox
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Understandable, but I was implying the Royals were the "proverbial" dog's ass!!

I know. But if you think of the way they’ve won their last 3 games (2 Carmona meltdowns and Curt coming up big in TB ) and they way they’ve lost, it kind of describes the Sox right now.

jsinger121
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Without Loretta getting on in front of manny and Ortiz, pitchers will work around them completely and the offense will go into total shutdown mode.

The problem is loretta is hardly getting on anymore and hardly doing his job. He has been pretty useless outside of his .300 BA which is not the way to evaluate a player.

Romine16
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I know. But if you think of the way they’ve won their last 3 games (2 Carmona meltdowns and Curt coming up big in TB ) and they way they’ve lost, it kind of describes the Sox right now.

Point taken!! Im just trying to find some solace in this losing streak!

a700hitter
08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I know. But if you think of the way they’ve won their last 3 games (2 Carmona meltdowns and Curt coming up big in TB ) and they way they’ve lost, it kind of describes the Sox right now.They are lucky that they are not 1-9 instead of 3-7.

schillingouttheks
08-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Point taken!! Im just trying to find some solace in this losing streak!
Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no comfort in any of this. None.

schillingouttheks
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
They are lucky that they are not 1-9 instead of 3-7.
The Indians should have swept us in 4.

Those 2 games that we won against the Indians weren't even the Sox winning it. It was more Carmona just losing it for the Indians. It's not like we even put that much effort into winning those games (except for Ortiz of course).

Romine16
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no comfort in any of this. None.

Yeah I know, I think I'm going to drink some beer and fight someone or something! haha

schillingouttheks
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
I think it's actually, "Thanks for the starter, Theo!"

I keep reading this phrase in these threads.
That's just me saying the same thing over and over :lol:

PS, sorry for the 3 consecutive posts. I'm finding stuff that I'd like to reply to in weird orders.

Matt
08-10-2006, 12:02 AM
The Red Sox won't and shouldn't make the playoffs this season. They simply do not have the pitching and the offense is just not producing (aside from Manny, Ortiz, and Wily Mo). I know that they're shorthanded right now, but the Red Sox lack the depth that playoff teams need to be successful, and it's showing now more than ever.

Romine16
08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/08_09_06_red_sox_struggles

YanksHater213
08-10-2006, 04:28 AM
Now that I look back at it, I'm glad I watched Rafael Nadal dominate Hyung-Taik Lee instead of wasting my time watching this game. All I have to say is pathetic. Fuck this team. Someone needs to pinch them in the ass and wake them up before they're too far out.

elsrbueno
08-10-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree this team needs a spark, but I'm not sure Loretta should be the scapegoat. At least Loretta has a hollow .300 batting average... what's Crisp been doing lately? I'm not saying DFA Crisp that's just silly-- and since Ortiz and Manny are the only offensive threats right now, the the same can be said for Lowell, Youkilis, Lopez, and Gonzalez. Pena's had power surges, but seems to stink with RISP.

I'm trying my ass off to put a positive spin on things, but here goes:

Didn't the Yankees get swept by the Royals last year and still win the division?

Don't the Red Sox have a tough stretch like this every year, and have at least recovered the last 3 to make the playoffs?

The bottom line is that we need to make the playoffs. It'd be GREAT to beat the Yankees for the division but we've all seen what can happen in the playoffs (anything) so the goal should be to get there any way you can.

On that note, we're only half a game out, and the Twins just lost their second best pitcher for who knows how long.

jacksonianmarch
08-10-2006, 07:42 AM
I agree this team needs a spark, but I'm not sure Loretta should be the scapegoat. At least Loretta has a hollow .300 batting average... what's Crisp been doing lately? I'm not saying DFA Crisp that's just silly-- and since Ortiz and Manny are the only offensive threats right now, the the same can be said for Lowell, Youkilis, Lopez, and Gonzalez. Pena's had power surges, but seems to stink with RISP.

I'm trying my ass off to put a positive spin on things, but here goes:

Didn't the Yankees get swept by the Royals last year and still win the division?

Don't the Red Sox have a tough stretch like this every year, and have at least recovered the last 3 to make the playoffs?

The bottom line is that we need to make the playoffs. It'd be GREAT to beat the Yankees for the division but we've all seen what can happen in the playoffs (anything) so the goal should be to get there any way you can.

On that note, we're only half a game out, and the Twins just lost their second best pitcher for who knows how long.

Yes, the Yankees got swept by the Royals last yr. But, that occured in May if I am not mistaken. That left them plenty of time to come back. At the same time, they needed one of the hottest 40 game stretches in their history to come back to tie for the division and they had 2 nobody's come from nowhere and combine to go 17-3 with an era near 3. That doesnt happen routinely. There is no positive spin for the sox on this one, these last 2 games have been horrid for them.

Coco's Disciples
08-10-2006, 08:08 AM
According to the Globe, the Sox had a closed door meeting before last night's game. Didn't work. Tito has to get tossed in tonight's game, this was brought up earlier, to show these guys we gotta play the games against the Royals and Orioles and Rays. It would be nice to open a big can of whoopass on the Royals tonight, with Curt going, and carry it back home for the big homestand.

Don't worry about Papelbon, he will be fine. This kid has the mental toughness to close, he's just going through a rocky time.

Sox Fan on Cape
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Just for conjecture, I'm wondering what the effect that Tek not calling the games has had ? Especially with regard to the younger players.

elsrbueno
08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Just for conjecture, I'm wondering what the effect that Tek not calling the games has had ? Especially with regard to the younger players.

It can't possibly help their confidence level when Javy Lopez has a hard time blocking balls.

How many WPs for Beckett last night? 3 I think, + 1 passed ball.

I haven't looked at his game log but I'd imagine that's season high for him. I was listening on the radio last night so it's hard to get a handle on whether or not Tek blocks those balls or not.