PDA

View Full Version : NEW Yankee Stadium Groundbreaking

26 to 6
08-13-2006, 01:23 PM
On Wednesday at 10 A.M. Anybody going?

I must say, it's about time.

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I believe it will be on YES. So I will be watching it on TV.

a700hitter
08-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I may go afterward to urinate on the site.

26 to 6
08-13-2006, 01:37 PM
I believe it will be on YES. So I will be watching it on TV.
I was unaware that it was going to be on YES. I already planned on going over there to see it anyways.

Moose
08-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Where is it? Is it in the Bronx, too?

jsinger121
08-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Where is it? Is it in the Bronx, too?

It's going next to the old one.

Moose
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Ahh, I was thinking it was gonna be in the Manhattan area. Then again, I'm pretty sure there's no more room for that.

26 to 6
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM
yup, right across 161st Street in Macombs Dam Park.

26 to 6
08-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Ahh, I was thinking it was gonna be in the Manhattan area. Then again, I'm pretty sure there's no more room for that.
No. Back in the late 90's George was strongly sondiering the West Side (as well as Jersey), but after those plans fell through these plans were developed. Much better IMO.

a700hitter
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
I went a little out of my way on the way home and went by Yankee stadium. I urinated on the new site to commemorate today's groundbreaking and for good luck.:D

26 to 6
08-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I went a little out of my way on the way home and went by Yankee stadium. I urinated on the new site to commemorate today's groundbreaking and for good luck.:D
And then you woke up. And even if you were crazy enough to attempt such a thing, I doubt you're tall enough to get it over the fencesd they had up.

Well going there was pretty much a waste of time. They had huge fences up surrounding the site that wouldn't even allow the public to see it. Appearantly if you weren't a member of the press or a politician/related to a politician, or one of those Bronx kids they brought in to help promote how the stadium would add to the developmental improvements of the Bronx you pretty mnuch weren't getting in. I stood outside the fences on the sidewalk for a portion of the time with a bunch of other people (more protesters than I would have expected) and spent the rest of the ceremony inside one of the Yankee-based stores near the site (it was on like 165th. I never noticed this particular store before until that day) and watched it on TV. As people were coming out from behind the fences after the ceremony I noticed that everyone who was allowed in was given a commerotive hat. I was kinda bummed and even tried to buy one off of a guy.

After hanging around the site for a few minutes I went to the press gate of the existing Stadium hoping to see people going in and coming out. Also, since the player/personell parking lot is right across from the press gate I would get to see people going to their cars too. I saw Lonn Trost (COO) and Randy Levine (President) going into the Stadium, John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman walking out of the stadium going to their cars, Michael Kay walking to his car from the groundbreaking site, and Yogi Berra get into his car. After about 45 minutes cops put the barriers up, like they do before every home game, and forced me and the rest of the people back (about 50 feet or so). After 15 minutes of seeing nobody I just decided to go see if Stan's on River Ave had opened up yet, went in and bought, on a whim, a 1996 Milwaukee Brewers yearbook (only $5, couldn't resist lol). After that, not wanting to leave yet, I decided to go back to the press gate, finding that even more barriers were put up for some reason (an unusual amount. I have never seen this many), so I decided to just relax and sit on the base of the infamous "bat" waiting for the official team store to open. After they opened I went in and to my surprise saw the commerative hats that all of the people who saw the groundbreaking were given. The hat, along with a T-Shirt were on sale in the store for $25 each so I picked them up. Tickets for that night's game were sold out (to my surprise) so I left.

Most people would be disappointed with the day, but I wasn't feeling too bad. Despite the fact that I didn't actually see the historic groundbreaking, I was present for it, which is pretty cool. In addition to that I got to spend a bunch of money at one of my favorite places in the world. :D

I realize that mnost of you probably could care less about my day, but I just thought I would share anyway :lol: lol.

ORS
08-18-2006, 05:35 AM
The story about your day would have been interesting if it were a little more "Holden Caulfield" and little less "Steve Erkel".

Dana Kiecker
08-18-2006, 07:16 AM
:thumbsup:

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I was at Yankee stadium yesterday and you could see the site from the elevators on the left field upper deck side. Its really nothing too see yet. It looked like they were clearing the land.

26 to 6
08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I was at Yankee stadium yesterday and you could see the site from the elevators on the left field upper deck side. Its really nothing too see yet. It looked like they were clearing the land.
Yeah, they had to have it cleared for the construction company.

The story about your day would have been interesting if it were a little more "Holden Caulfield" and little less "Steve Erkel".
I agree. Not saying it was interesting. Probably was a bore to read. Honestly, if someone else had posted it, and I was the reader I probably wouldnt have even read it. But when it's late at night and I have nothing to do but wait for my laundry to dry I tend to just write pretty much nothing in the form of blogs, posts, etc.

a700hitter
08-18-2006, 06:51 PM
And then you woke up. And even if you were crazy enough to attempt such a thing, I doubt you're tall enough to get it over the fencesd they had up.It pays to have friends in the NYPD Borough Command.:D

26 to 6
04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Imagine what this would have been like....

http://slidingintohome.blogspot.com/2008/04/1998-stadium-renovation-proposal.html

The artist rendering of those 1998 Yankee Stadium renovation plans look AMAZING. Knowing this now (I knew nothing about it back then or prior to a few days ago), I'm disappointed Steinbrenner didn't jump at it. At that point though he wanted out of the South Bronx and to either be on the West side or in Jersey. This would have been AMAZING. Imagine having a "Yankee Village."

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Fsh7GWfK4f0/R_fD_tG-pXI/AAAAAAAABYY/clUAQmu9cQ8/s400/ferrer_Yankee_3.bmp

I didn't want to start a new thread for it so I just threw it in here. Figured it would be something to talk about.