PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Question

yagmaster
04-05-2004, 07:13 AM
this could have gone in the last steroid topic, but I think it's a different enough question to merit its own topic. anywho...

if Barry Bonds, and other players (but especially Bonds), are found to have juiced, what is to be done. does Bonds' 73 homeruns get erased? what if he breaks aaron's alltime record? how can this be dealt with.

Benny9Sox7
04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
first of all i feel that a player using steroids is worse than betting on baseball and if found that a player does use steroids i think they should b banned for life.... to me steriods is cheating and betting on baseball is only betting not throwing games but thats another story.... if found that bonds uses roids kick him out with all his homers and shiz.... just my view

yagmaster
04-05-2004, 03:01 PM
if found that a player does use steroids i think they should b banned for life

i agree in principle, but i'm not sure to the extent that you think, benny.

yeszir
04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
I dunno whats going to happen, hopefully not just an asterisk, because then it leaves controversy as to who the real homerun kind (or second place man, or whatever) is. A question that we can deal with right now, however, is about McGwire. It is common knowledge he was on "performance enhancing drugs" in 98, so what do we do about his homerun totals?

Tek04
04-05-2004, 03:25 PM
you gotta look at the other side of this story....if all steriod and performance booster substances are banned from the MLB than their might not be any big stars or big home run hitters that bring in all the cash from fans all over the US...im not saying yes take steriods, because I think it is wrong as well...but baseball will have not as many huge stars anymore...

Benny9Sox7
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 5 2004, 04:07 PM
I dunno whats going to happen, hopefully not just an asterisk, because then it leaves controversy as to who the real homerun kind (or second place man, or whatever) is. A question that we can deal with right now, however, is about McGwire. It is common knowledge he was on "performance enhancing drugs" in 98, so what do we do about his homerun totals?
wat McGWIRE took wasnt illegal back then

roary
04-05-2004, 05:32 PM
What McGwire took wasnt illegal, but it was still performance inhancing, wasn't it? And doesnt that tarnish his image and his stats?

Benny9Sox7
04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
if it wasnt illegal i dont think it should tarnish anything cuz he wasnt doing anythin wrong with it being legal

Gertie
04-05-2004, 08:32 PM
The steroids issue is never going to go away. People will always be speculating on who took what when. But even if they are banned, and there's a big power outage in baseball, I think a well-pitched game is better than a slugfest anyway.

Benny9Sox7
04-05-2004, 09:31 PM
i agree wit gertie..... u can always go to a game and jus about see a home run, not by some big 6'2 guy 235lbs but a guy like pokey reese or todd walker hits the occasional homer, but a well pitched game is certaintly better than a home run, cuz a no hitter or perfect game is way more special than any ball going over the fence

Gertie
04-06-2004, 04:39 PM
i guess insane amounts of offense are more exciting to the casual fan, but i think, and correct me if i'm wrong, that any real fan would rather see quality pitching.

"Pitching wins championships."

yeszir
04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Offense is exciting, but homeruns get boring. I'd rather see a double steal or a hit and run or a suicide squeeze than a 450 foot homerun. Homeruns are good for the occasional thrill, but I dont like how baseball has come to rely on them.

But my favorite part of baseball is amazing fielding. I could watch web gems/ top 10 plays all day.

Benny9Sox7
04-07-2004, 01:47 PM
i think i tripple is the most exciting hit in baseball... i like them a lot more than homers... sure wen i was younger i loved homers no matter how many of them were hit but nowadays they kinda get old wen someone hits one like every inning

Gertie
04-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Yeah, the speedy guy is more exciting to me than the big, lumbering gorillas you see all over the place these days. Stolen bases are awesome.

yeszir
04-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Ok, but back to the topic at hand. What about the steroids and records? Opinions/thoughts?

CalvnHobs6
04-07-2004, 08:31 PM
This is a tough one. Every time Bonds takes a swing, it's not a homerun. Obviously. So he has talent. That's a given. But how talented would he be if he wasn't doing steroids?
I'd say very talented. He's a monster. And if you haven't noticed, hitting homeruns isn't as difficult as it used to be. If one is found using steroids...they should be banned from playing. From baseball for life? I don't think so. I am going to reitterate that I don't think Bonds is shooting up. I think Giambi is (was). Giambi should be stricken from the records book and banned from baseball for life. And if he's doing steroids...then they should just shoot him. Damn asshole.