PDA

View Full Version : Nobody is Safe - Jeter's Blame

ORS
10-09-2006, 06:29 AM
It looks like Jeter is the Teflon SS no more. The NY media is starting to question his leadership.

Yanks' captain abandons ship - Refusal to help Alex hurt club (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/459941p-386970c.html)

Jeter sets the tone for everything the Yankees do, so while he got tons of credit, and rightfully so, when they won, he has to take some of the blame now for allowing the A-Rod mess to seemingly suffocate this team. He has kept A-Rod at arm's length, apparently all because he can't get past the famous Esquire article of five years ago in which A-Rod allowed his jealousy and self-esteem issues to surface for the first time.

It makes me rethink the whole MVP debate. I wrote a handful of times that I thought Jeter deserved the award this season, and I still think he did more on the field to help his team than anybody else.

But in light of the Motown Meltdown, and all that it revealed about this team, I have to question how Jeter could be the MVP in a season in which he wouldn't make the slightest effort to offer a hand when A-Rod was flailing in quicksand.

He refused on several occasions to support A-Rod publicly when the booing was out of control, and he had to know any comments of support would have helped the situation. Isn't that incumbent on him as captain?

Jeter did go out of his way to support Jason Giambi during the steroids fallout, but he wouldn't go anywhere near the A-Rod controversy. He should have been bigger than that, since he's all about team.

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Jeter did go out of his way to support Jason Giambi during the steroids fallout, but he wouldn't go anywhere near the A-Rod controversy. He should have been bigger than that, since he's all about team

jetsey is the 3rd best shortstop in nyc behind arod and the mets guy

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Awwww I wonder if A-Rod also needs his hand held when crossing the street or his mouth wipped when he drools or when he takes a dump I wonder if he needs Jeter to wipe his ass for him too.

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2006, 09:05 AM
tuff to believe a 10yr + vet with all those gaudy #s needs to hugged
hey
say what you will but it was always the pitching and always will be the pitching that wins this game

AlexanderTheGreat13
10-09-2006, 09:09 AM
say what you will but it was always the pitching and always will be the pitching that wins this game

I agree 100%. All of this shit goes away if the Yankees have a David Cone going in game 4 and not Jaret Wright etc.

ORS
10-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Awwww I wonder if A-Rod also needs his hand held when crossing the street or his mouth wipped when he drools or when he takes a dump I wonder if he needs Jeter to wipe his ass for him too.
You are right. It's pretty ridiculous that a grown man might let something like this affect his ability to do his job. That said, Jeter keeping ARod at arms length isn't helping the team. A leader does what it takes to make those he is with comfortable. It appears DJ's intangibles aren't all they were hyped up to be. Great ball player? No doubt. Great teammate? Depends on who you are asking.

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2006, 09:26 AM
i was watching the mets dodgers friday
mets up 2 i think in the 6th??
in comes darren oliver with chad bradford warming up in the bullpen..
150M in new salaries and they got darren oliver with the ball

jarrett wright got 21,000,000.00 for 3 years
pavanao 40,000,000.00 for 4 years
rj for 48,000,000.00
and mussina made 80,000,000.00

nothing to show for it however

yeszir
10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Is it good for a team when expectations are so high that anyt shortcomings immediately lead to a complete and utter implosion? Wouldn't the yankees be better off if they didn't make the playoffs every year?

riverside sluggers
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Its just going to be a Yankees' "spring cleaning" this offseason...

Say goodbye to Arod?, Torre (hello PMS Piniella??), Mussina, Sheffield, Fasano, Wright, Lidle, Wilson

Coco's Disciples
10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Its just going to be a Yankees' "spring cleaning" this offseason...

Say goodbye to Arod?, Torre (hello PMS Piniella??), Mussina, Sheffield, Fasano, Wright, Lidle, Wilson

Yankee fans will be utterly shocked by the quick departure of Sal Fasano. It will rock the papers.

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
I couldn't be more sad. I had tickets to tomorrow night's game and my kids are in their rooms crying that they're not going to anymore games this season.

I don't feel sorry for the players, they didn't deserve to win. They just didn't deserve it. I feel bad for the rest of us. This postseason had so much promise. Now I feel like I was served a great meal and I took one bite and the waiter took it away from me.

his kids are home crying??
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
God help me
there is a certain amount of pleasure i get watching this yankee team take it in the ass

ARod2212
10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
A-Rod needs to get his shit together. Jeter giving him a hug isn't going to teach him to hit a fastball.

Jeter hit .500 for the series, I'm not pinning this on him.

If Andy Pettitte starts game 4, they play a game 5.

a700hitter
10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
A-Rod needs to get his shit together. Jeter giving him a hug isn't going to teach him to hit a fastball.

If Andy Pettitte starts game 4, they play a game 5.Jeter's lack of support for ARod spoke volumes. As the Captain, he should have lent him some support if only in the press. Some in the press felt that he was privately delighting in ARod's floundering. It was so obvious that Yankee fans on this site mentioned that on Yankee sites their were opposing camps: pro-jeter, and pro-ARod. The icon acted in a petty manner.

Mr Crunchy
10-09-2006, 08:58 PM
couple that with sociopaths such as randy johnson and sheffield and you see why theres so much harmony and love in that lockeroom
christ
jason giambi was their voice of reason in the si interview

rudderless??
thats on torre

gutless&petty
that on the gm and owner who put it together

Jon_Papelboner
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM

If Andy Pettitte starts game 4, they play a game 5.

And win the series. It's an error on the front office for not seeing the value of starting pitching. I really hope this loss clears it up.

a700hitter
10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
And win the series. It's an error on the front office for not seeing the value of starting pitching. I really hope this loss clears it up.Your team choked. It had nothing to do with pitching. For crying out loud, since when has Kenny Rogers (a choker in his own right) become Sandy Koufax.

Jon_Papelboner
10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Your team choked. It had nothing to do with pitching. For crying out loud, since when has Kenny Rogers (a choker in his own right) become Sandy Koufax.

It had nothing to do with pitching? Are you fucking nuts? Did you even watch the series?

a700hitter
10-09-2006, 10:38 PM
It had nothing to do with pitching? Are you fucking nuts? Did you even watch the series?Yeah, I did. Did you? 22 consecutive scoreless innings by the lineup against Kenny rogers and two other guys that the Yankees light up on a regular basis. If the offense had performed up to their abilities, they would have won game 2, and game 3 should have at least been close. Please don't tell me that Kenny Rogers is better than Randy Johnson.

EDIT: Bonderman was 0-2 with a 5.68 ERA against the yankees in 2006
Verlander was 0-0 with a 10.80 ERA against the Yankees 5 innings 7 Hits 6 ER
Rogers was 5-7 with a 6.45 ERA against the yankees over his career

Based on these numbers, it seems to me that your lineup just choked.

rician blast
10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Jeter's lack of support for ARod spoke volumes. As the Captain, he should have lent him some support if only in the press. Some in the press felt that he was privately delighting in ARod's floundering.

speaks volumes about Jeter and whether he is truly a "team player" or is more concerned with being King of the Bronx.

Ya'd think Captain Fistpump would put the team first, no?

Mr Crunchy
10-10-2006, 02:10 PM
22 scoreless innings in a row
2.5 games of shut out baseball
wow

Jon_Papelboner
10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I did. Did you? 22 consecutive scoreless innings by the lineup against Kenny rogers and two other guys that the Yankees light up on a regular basis. If the offense had performed up to their abilities, they would have won game 2, and game 3 should have at least been close. Please don't tell me that Kenny Rogers is better than Randy Johnson.

EDIT: Bonderman was 0-2 with a 5.68 ERA against the yankees in 2006
Verlander was 0-0 with a 10.80 ERA against the Yankees 5 innings 7 Hits 6 ER
Rogers was 5-7 with a 6.45 ERA against the yankees over his career

Based on these numbers, it seems to me that your lineup just choked.

We scored 3 runs in game 2, that shoud be enough to at least get to extras with your number 2 pitcher out there. Games 3 and 4 only showed me how superior their pitching was. Game 3 would have been close? big deal, we still lose becaues RJ sucks. Same deal in game 4. To say it had nothing to with pitching is assinine.

Jon_Papelboner
10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
22 scoreless innings in a row
2.5 games of shut out baseball
wow

get the opportunity before you say shit. Oh yeah, that's right, you finished in 3rd. BEHIND THE BLUE JAYS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
wow

Mr Crunchy
10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
is that satisfying to you mr boner??
do you consider the yanks season a blistering success because of our failures??

keep telling yourself alls well
6 years in a row the yanks are odds on favorites to win it all
6 years in a row the lay down like a 2.00 jerome ave crack whore the nite before rents due

rician blast
10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
is that satisfying to you mr boner??
do you consider the yanks season a blistering success because of our failures??

easy using the word "blistering" with 'the boner', Sean, it brings him terrible memories of the repercussions of laying down with that $2 crack ho that you speak of.

$213m is the most recent payroll number I've heard for the Yankees 2006 campaign. Talk about a low return on your investment.

the red sox season was a dissapointment.
the Yankees season was a disgrace.

Mr Crunchy
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
well if i told the 40,000,000 proffessed yankee fans(that# is much lower now) in april 05 that after signing rj pavano lidle abreau and retaining the rest of the cast??
that they wouldnt make the league championship series!!!
i suspect id be laffed off the planet

fuckem
theyve ruined the game for so many people and places they deserve to suffer

a700hitter
10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
We scored 3 runs in game 2, that shoud be enough to at least get to extras with your number 2 pitcher out there. Games 3 and 4 only showed me how superior their pitching was. Game 3 would have been close? big deal, we still lose becaues RJ sucks. Same deal in game 4. To say it had nothing to with pitching is assinine.Your team that was prohibitively favored to go all the way and that finished with the best record in the AL collectively coughed up a hairball.:lol:

ARod2212
10-14-2006, 06:37 PM
easy using the word "blistering" with 'the boner', Sean, it brings him terrible memories of the repercussions of laying down with that $2 crack ho that you speak of.

$213m is the most recent payroll number I've heard for the Yankees 2006 campaign. Talk about a low return on your investment.

the red sox season was a dissapointment.
the Yankees season was a disgrace. Red Sox having the second highest payroll in baseball and finishing in third is a disgrace. You guys are like the Knicks.

The Yankees losing to a team with much better pitching is not all that unexpected. Nobody knew how good their pitching was, and the Yankees were the odds on favorite.

Guess what, Detroit is damn good. Ask Oakland. They're playing like the team that was 40 games over .500 in the summer. I'm surprised that they were able to turn it on, but I'm not surprised that once they did they've been unbeatable.

And this series was decided on pitching. Jaret Wright starting a must win game is not a position you want to be in.

schillingouttheks
10-15-2006, 11:16 AM
The A's didn't have an offense to begin with. The Yankees managed to put together, arguably, the most feared lineup in baseball history.

a700hitter
10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Red Sox having the second highest payroll in baseball and finishing in third is a disgrace. You guys are like the Knicks.Third Place was clearly a disgrace, and hopefully it will motivate the FO to put together a team without cutting corners. However, the Yankees coughed up a hair ball. You and every Yankee fan were thrilled to be playing a reeling Detroit rather than Minnesota. Every Red Sox fan was disappointed. No one gave Detroit a chance. Are they better than we expected? MAybe so, but the Yankees still should have taken them out. They buried them in game one. They were leading in game two, and everyone was making plans for the ALCS tickets, but they let it slip away. In game 3, the Yankees expected to beat Rogers just by throwing their gloves on the field and they forgot about grinding out at bat and driving up a pitcher's pitch count. They let themselves get taken out of their game. By time game 4 came, they had lost their confidence, the Tigers were strutting with confidence and Torre clearly panicked in filling out the lineup card. Make no mistake though the Yankees gagged and choked once again. After getting by the Yankees, an inferior A's team was no match. The A's are not a good team. They are made up of re-treads and back up players. They were n't going anywhere. They were lucky to get by the Twins. Zito cranked up the game of his life to make Santana a non-factor, and then it was AA and AAA pitches and a badly damaged Brad Radke. Once they got by Santana, it was a cake-walk.

ARod2212
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
The Tigers are now 7-1 in their last 8 games. If they were so inferior, the A's would have stolen a couple of games. Remember that the Twins were everyone's sleeper pick, and they took care of them quickly.

a700hitter
10-15-2006, 02:04 PM
The Tigers are now 7-1 in their last 8 games. If they were so inferior, the A's would have stolen a couple of games. Remember that the Twins were everyone's sleeper pick, and they took care of them quickly.The Twins were the Sleeper pick, because of Santana. Once he was neutralized, they had no starting pitching, absolutely none. Starting that rookie in game 2(...was it Bonser?) was very revealing. So, you weren't happy when you found out the Yankees would be playing the Tigers? Of course you were, or you are just a liar. You had good reason to be happy. The Yankees should have annihilated them like they did in the regular season.

Why should the A's steal any games from the Tigers? The A's stink too. The yankees were clearly the class of the league, but cough, cough, cough, choke they are out of it.

example1
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
The Tigers are now 7-1 in their last 8 games. If they were so inferior, the A's would have stolen a couple of games. Remember that the Twins were everyone's sleeper pick, and they took care of them quickly.

The twins were everyone's sleeper picks when they had pitching. They went in their with a jallopy for a pitching staff. The Yankees and Tigers should have been the league championship series. The A's pitching is always overrated as, apparently, is the Yankees offense.

tony822702
10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
u all r fucking morons jeter is the anchor to the yankees arod is a pussy who cant handle NY who thinks he runs the universe arod is the biggest stiff there ever was he is battin under .100 in the playoffs but yea jeter the only guy who is always doin good for the yankees should get blamed its not his fault we got a bunch of wasted up fuckers who cant hit a 15 mph softball thrown by a 800lb black women but yea lets trade jeter jump off a cliff dont even put these stupid things up think b4

schillingouttheks
10-16-2006, 12:30 AM
u all r fucking morons

Irony. I don't know if you even know how to speak the English language. If you do, you're a disgrace to it. One or the other.

Jesus Christ, I hate it when people who are full of emotion come here on their first day, take it out on the posters that were here long before them, and in the process look illiterate and just become the term "idiot" that they dish out. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, in response to your post... you're not saying anything new. This thread was started because the poison that is the New York media is starting to get on Jeter's case. Fuck man, read the thread, which I think you failed to do considering there are 3 pages in this thread and the discussion kind of moved on from what you said.

...by the way, think before you "put up this stupid thing," and understand the nature of the thread before you get on your soapbox.

Also, it's easier to read your posts if you use correct grammar and punctuation. People will also take you more seriously. But, after these 5 posts of yours today, I'd be surprised if someone took you seriously.

rician blast
10-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Red Sox having the second highest payroll in baseball and finishing in third is a disgrace. You guys are like the Knicks.

if the Sox $20m payroll advantage, or approx. 20%, over the next 5 or so teams that are grouped around $100m means a third place finish is a disgrace, then I guess in a case where a team's (the Yankees) payroll is $70m-$80m MORE than the next highest payroll (approx. 60%?), anything short of a WS Title is MORE than a disgrace...sorry, I underestimated the extent of the Yankees failure this year.

oh, and Knicks? Please, your analogy is ridiculous.

ORS
10-16-2006, 07:26 AM
u all r fucking morons jeter is the anchor to the yankees arod is a pussy who cant handle NY who thinks he runs the universe arod is the biggest stiff there ever was he is battin under .100 in the playoffs but yea jeter the only guy who is always doin good for the yankees should get blamed its not his fault we got a bunch of wasted up fuckers who cant hit a 15 mph softball thrown by a 800lb black women but yea lets trade jeter jump off a cliff dont even put these stupid things up think b4
As SOTK said, try reading the thread. Nobody is questioning Jeter's performance on the field or suggesting he get traded. That said, he's not doing much off the field to be a leader of his team, and he is the captain. Captain Intangibles, if you ask the right people. The Yankees have gotten more talented and expensive yet are 0-fer without the team's last true leader, Paul O'neil.

rician blast
10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
As SOTK said, try reading the thread. Nobody is questioning Jeter's performance on the field or suggesting he get traded. That said, he's not doing much off the field to be a leader of his team, and he is the captain. Captain Intangibles, if you ask the right people. The Yankees have gotten more talented and expensive yet are 0-fer without the team's last true leader, Paul O'neil.

ORS is dead on...furthermore, its an issue of a TEAM (Late 90's Yankees) versus a collection of All-Stars. The recent Yankee rosters have not comprised a TEAM...and their captain, Jeter, has done nothing to generate this characteristic.