PDA

View Full Version : 2007 GCL roster

scaffolds
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Projecting the Lowell and GCL rosters aren't easy to do because of the players that gets signed from the draft each year and goes to those rosters, but before the opening of Spring training the GCL roster should look like this.

Catchers;

1- Tylen Weeden 2- Levy Tapia 3- Rafael Gil (Venezuela)

Infielders;

1B- Lars Anderson
2B- Yamaico Navarro (Dominican)
SS- Moises Tejada (Dominincan)
3B- Chih-Hsiang Huang (Taiwan)
IF- Ricardo Burgos (Venezuelan)
IF- Victor Zerrano (Venezuela)
LF- Willian Reddick
CF- Angel Beltre (Dominican)
RF- Luis Sumoza (Venezuelan)
OF- Mitch Dening (Australian)
OF- Matt Sheely
OF- Rafael Cabreja ( also a catcher)

Pitchers;

SP- Brandon Belt LHP (if signed as a draft and follow)
SP- Ryan Colvin RHP
SP- Arbert Jimenez LHP (Dominican)
SP- Wang-Yi Lin RHP (Taiwan)
SP- Jose Alvarez LHP (Venezuela)
RP- Pedro Perez RHP (Dominican)
RP- Jose Marte LHP (Dominican)
RP- Pedro Rodriguez RHP (Venezuelan)
RP- Victor Galde RHP (Venezuelan)
RP- Armando Zerpa LHP (Venezuelan)
RP- William Blue RHP

THe Sox's GCL entry has made the playoff the last four years, winning the championship in 2006.

CrespoBlows
10-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Do you think Beltre or Tejada have more potential?

And speaking of the draft, are there any HS prospects in the Sarasota, FL area?

Thanks.

Coco's Disciples
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I would say Beltre does. He is a 5 tool talent with a lot of power potential.
Tejada has good potential too, a very good athlete with good speed, a good glove and gap power.

Both are good people, not just baseball players. Tejada shows a lot of maturity for his age and is baseball smart and savvy. Beltre "hustles at every step".

scaffolds
10-18-2006, 06:16 AM
They are both very good prospects, Beltre is the better hitter with top left handed power POTENTIAL, the key is thatTejeda not only is a top short stop prospect but is also a top pitching prospect.

ORS
10-18-2006, 07:44 AM
I've heard that about Tejada. It will be interesting to see what they do with him. Ultimately, it will be most likely decided by what he's better at, but what if he's really good at both? Some argue that you take the everyday player because, well, they play every day. That said, we see the value of pitching every postseason, and the teams with great everyday players and suspect pitching are playing golf in October.

scaffolds
10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes the organization is going to look Tejeda first as a position player and if it doesn't work then as a pitcher.

CrespoBlows
10-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Yes the organization is going to look Tejeda first as a position player and if it doesn't work then as a pitcher.

What do his pitches look like?

NateGrey
10-19-2006, 07:27 AM
IMO, Scaff posting here is like the Sox signing Pujols to a 5yr $1 contract . :lol: . Welcome Scaff . :thumbsup: .

Ass-kissing aside . lol .

Who has the bigger upside ? Felix Doubront or Jose Alvarez?

scaffolds
10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Thank you for your words, Doubront is the Sox top LHP prospect, Jose Capellan isn't too far off, while both Jose Alvarez and Arbert Jimenez are very good prospect, I like Jimenez better than Alvarez.

The top starting LHP prospects in the system are;

1- Doubront
2- Ryan Phillips
3- Kris Johnson
4- Jose Capellan
5- Michael Rozier
6- Arbert Jimenez
7- Jose Alvarez

Crespo; At this time Moises Tejada is mainly a fastball pitcher, but his fastball sits at 92 not too bad for a 16yrs.

guapo34
10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Scaff,
You really like Ryan Phillips better than Kris Johnson?

scaffolds
10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Guapo, At this point I like Phillips better than Johnson mainly because he has better command of his pitches and see more how Johnson handles coming back from TJ, his 2006 season in college he was very much inconsistent and his pro start was a very small sample size. Stuff, size and age there isn't much difference between Phillips and Johnson and we should get a better idea after the 07 season, but for now Phillips its a head.

a700hitter
10-20-2006, 11:22 AM
They are both very good prospects, Beltre is the better hitter with top left handed power POTENTIAL, the key is thatTejeda not only is a top short stop prospect but is also a top pitching prospect.Who was the last guy that we had that was a highly touted SS and Pitcher? Was it Frankie Rodriguez? Ultimately, they made him a pitcher and he was never very good, but we traded him for Frank Viola.

guapo34
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Who was the last guy that we had that was a highly touted SS and Pitcher? Was it Frankie Rodriguez? Ultimately, they made him a pitcher and he was never very good, but we traded him for Frank Viola.

We actually traded him for Rick Aguilera or however he spells his name.

BRJ3
10-21-2006, 11:29 AM
How do you profess to know who is making what roster. Have you seen each of these players or do you base your views on bonus money.

BRJ3
10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
All, understand that Scaff knows no more than any of you. He is not a scout because if he was it would go against everything that scout should or would be allowed to do by his club. He may have more access to information than most but rest assured he is not an industry expert

Bosoxwest
10-21-2006, 04:19 PM
All, understand that Scaff knows no more than any of you. He is not a scout because if he was it would go against everything that scout should or would be allowed to do by his club. He may have more access to information than most but rest assured he is not an industry expert

Actually, if he has more access to information than we do, then by definition he would know more. Regardless, one assumes the point of the board is to share informed opinion, which he certainly has proven himself capable of doing here and elsewhere. Not sure I understand the point of your post; it just seems like a random attack.

On to the prospects on the list here, the one that bemuses me the most is Cabreja. Macleod mentioned he was a hitter (see below), but his current frame would seem to limit his ceiling. To any that have seen him play: does the body have any projectability (he's so young still), or is he skilled enough to compensate?

------------------------------
From RSN interview:

RSN: How about our 8th round pick, high school outfielder Rafael Cabreja?

JM: He’s a Dominican kid from New York with a good chance to hit. He’s a left-handed hitter with a loose swing; a very confident hitter. He’s a little unrefined, but one of the better high school bats we saw. Defensively he’s more of a corner guy, although we could see him catching, too. When we worked him out, we put the gear on him to see what he looked like behind the plate.

scaffolds
10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
BRJ3; I don't have to prove to you if I am a scout or not, but if you can read I have said in different occasions that i don't work for the Red Sox, and the 2007 GCL roster its simply a projections of players that I have seen play in Spring training, in the GCL or as amateur. have you seen any of this players play baseball or is this like your reading skills?

scaffolds
10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Bosoxwest, its OK, BRJ3 doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about, he its just looking for argument. You're right pages like this main purpose its to pass information and I enjoy to pass that info to my fellow scouting or minor league followers.

Going back to topic and to answer your Question, Cabreja is a small kid, but with strong wrist and a quick bat, he had a hard time adjusting to the GCL in 06 in a limeted playing time and should return to the GCL in 07. Cabreja is more quick than fast and his future its on the OF, but because he has a very strong arm the Sox brass has had ideas of making him a catcher which i believe its a mistake.

CrespoBlows
10-21-2006, 05:54 PM

You know this how?

Scouts routinely give quotes to newspaper journalist. Some even talk to SI and give their opinion of other teams.

Bosoxwest
11-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Article on Mitch Dening here (http://www.baseball.org.au/default.asp?Page=22137). Dening was recently named "worlds best defensive player" at the completion of the under 19 AAA World Championships in Cuba. Grain of salt there, but nice. If I found everything correctly Mitch also went 8/26 with a 2B, 3B, HR and 7 RBIs. At this point he doesn't project for power, from what I gather.

Also, article on power-hitting hopeful Aussie Michael Lennox who may or may not hit the GCL for the Sox (he is signed however) this year here (http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/the-cronulla-kid-with-big-sox-to-fill/2006/10/28/1161749356842.html). High but at this point meaningless praise from Shipley and Deeble - makes for fun reading.