PDA

View Full Version : Glavine In A Car Accident

CalvnHobs6
08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Glavine loses two teeth in taxi accident

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer
August 10, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Mets pitcher Tom Glavine lost his two front upper teeth in an automobile accident Tuesday while going from LaGuardia Airport to nearby Shea Stadium in a taxicab.

Glavine also got stitches for a cut lower lip. He was to be released from a hospital Tuesday night and miss his scheduled start Wednesday night against Houston.

``I'm just thankful it's not worse,'' Mets manager Art Howe said after a 7-3 win over the Astros. ``We're looking forward to having him back, whenever that is. We don't know when that will be.''

The accident occurred at 2:15 p.m. as Glavine headed to the ballpark. The left-hander had spent Monday's off-day with his family in Atlanta.

Glavine was leaving LaGuardia in a taxi that collided with a SUV on the overpass of the Grand Central Parkway as he left the airport grounds, the Mets said.

Port Authority police and the New York Police Department responded to the crash, and the Emergency Medical Service took Glavine by ambulance to NYU Medical Center in Manhattan.

Glavine was conscious, Port Authority spokesman Tony Ciavolella said. Mets' oral surgeon Dr. Robert Glickman treated the pitcher.

Mets' team physician Joseph Bosco said Glavine was resting comfortably, and the pitcher was to go straight to his home in Connecticut.

Growing up in Massachusetts, Glavine was a two-sport prep star and was picked by the NHL's Los Angeles Kings in the fourth round of the 1984 draft.

Once asked why he picked baseball over hockey, he joked, ``I had all my own teeth and I wanted to keep it that way.''

The driver of the taxi, George Kovalonoks, 54, of Brooklyn, and the other vehicle, John Struble, 40, of West Milford, N.J., were both uninjured, police said.

No summonses were issued, Ciavolella said. An investigation was continuing.

Glavine is 8-10 with a 2.92 ERA. Matt Ginter will pitch in Glavine's place on Wednesday night.

``Initially, we heard he was in a car accident with a bus,'' said Mets pitcher Al Leiter, who left a couple of phone messages for Glavine. ``All sort of bad things come to mind when you hear 'accident.'''

yeszir
08-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow. That's pretty serious. I'm glad that he's ok and that no serious injuries happened. And, I feel bad for laughing, but the fact that he is 8-10 with a 2.92 ERA speaks volumes about the Mets.

Again, I'm glad he's ok.

YanksHater213
08-12-2004, 06:49 AM
no wonder why he didnt want to play hockey

elsrbueno
08-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Tom Glavine is a hall of famer and a class act.

It's too bad about the injury, I'm glad he's OK.