PDA

View Full Version : Yanks looking for blast from the past, Nats Johnson

jacksonianmarch
11-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Washington GM Jim Bowden has been on the phone a lot this week, and according to our D.C.-based source, “a lot of those calls have been with the Mets and the Yankees”

“The Yankees have been asking about Nick Johnson and Brian Schneider, but as he usually does, (Bowden) is asking for the moon. The difference now is, Bowden can't afford to haggle, because the pitching staff is a shambles. (Yankees GM) Cashman hasn't made a specific offer yet, but he's told Bowden not to even bring up Phil Hughes or Jose Tabata. “

I'm also told that the Yankees, though reluctant to deal a player they feel can “still be a special”, would part with Eric Duncan if they could get Johnson in return.

“They love (Duncan), but they need a guy like Johnson to play first base next year. But if Bowden gets (nuts), Cashman will just got to the next guy.

Eric Duncan for Nick Johnson? If Cash pulls that off, he should be locked up for grand larceny.

rician blast
11-23-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm surprised we haven't heard of potential deals involving the Sox and Nick Johnson. My guess is the Sox FO has looked at/is looking at this option.

Gom
11-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Eric Duncan for Nick Johnson? If Cash pulls that off, he should be locked up for grand larceny.

No shit. Duncan is garbage.

jacksonianmarch
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
No, he is not. He is following Johnson's career path in that it is taking him awhile to adjust as he goes up the ladder. He is only 21 and was rushed to AAA. Injury and poor performance sent him back to AA where he did very well in limited duty. His ETA was supposed to be 2007, but that was rushing him a bit. He showed what he could do when he was MVP of the AFL last yr. He is likely on pace to be in the majors in mid-2008. But if you can nab a guy like Johnson while he is still young, you make the move. The on thing I'd be cautious about if I were the yankees is the fact that the lineup will be lefty loaded as is. The yankees need a right handed bat at 1st, but I think they could do worse than Johnson.

AlexanderTheGreat13
11-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Duncan was having a nice bounce back season but his back gave out on him and that is a concern.

BSN07
11-23-2006, 08:25 AM
I thought the hole reason they where putting Giambi at DH, was because they wanted a right handed 1B? Nick Johnson is a good player, but that would make them very heavy left handed. But besides Kazmir in TB, CC in CLVD, Mark B. in CHW, there really isn't that many LH pitchers to worry about is there.

AlexanderTheGreat13
11-23-2006, 08:28 AM
I think putting Giambi at DH has more to do with the fact hes a statue at 1B.

jacksonianmarch
11-23-2006, 08:35 AM
not just that, he is coming off wrist surgery and he seems to get hurt at first all too often. He is like a bull in a china shop.

BSN07
11-23-2006, 09:00 AM
OK, I think either Aurilla or Hillenbrand might be playing 1st for NYY come opening day. Thats if they can't get a deal done for Johnson. That's a likely scenario with bowden too, because he ask for everything and the kitchen sink for his players.

jsinger121
11-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Duncan is a crap prospect now....He's fallen so far that he isn't even a top 10 guy anymore.

Rdsxmbnt
11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I dont think Bowdens being unreasonable at all if hes asking for Tabata or Hughes, Johnson is 28, cheap, and is coming off a .950 OPS season.

jacksonianmarch
11-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I dont think Bowdens being unreasonable at all if hes asking for Tabata or Hughes, Johnson is 28, cheap, and is coming off a .950 OPS season.

No way. Tabata is a five tool player who is 18 yrs old. Hughes is the best pitching prospect in baseball. You dont give that up for an oft injured 1st baseman who lacks prototypical 1b power.

Rdsxmbnt
11-23-2006, 01:09 PM
No way. Tabata is a five tool player who is 18 yrs old. Hughes is the best pitching prospect in baseball. You dont give that up for an oft injured 1st baseman who lacks prototypical 1b power.

then the Yanks dont get Johnson, simple as that.

ARod2212
11-23-2006, 01:44 PM
then the Yanks dont get Johnson, simple as that. That's fine. But if Bowden realizes he's going to have to come off his high horse and settle, since he's not dealing from a position of power, they'll get Johnson and keep Hughes and Tabata.

26 to 6
11-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Getting Nick Johnson back would be awesome. I've always hoped we'd be able to bring him back to the Bronx. Brian Schneider would be great too. One of my favorite catchers.

Gom
11-23-2006, 10:03 PM
The Yankees aren't trading Hughes and Tabata for Johnson. However, trading Duncan and one of the pitchers they got from the Sheffield deal [not Sanchez] I can see happening.

Bowden can say and do what he wants, but seeing what Soriano went for, makes you realize someone would have anted up for the guy. I think he is under a lot of pressure to improve the team after his colossal screw up with Soriano. Expect his asking price to come down a bit with all of his players, not just Nick Johnson.

Plus, outside of the Twins, there aren't really any top notch lefties in the AL, especially if Zito leaves for the Mets.

ORS
11-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Yes, Eric Duncan will net Nick Johnson. At the same time, the Sox will land Santana for DiNardo - hey, they're both lefties, even Steven.

Moving on.

Gom
11-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Yes, Eric Duncan will net Nick Johnson. At the same time, the Sox will land Santana for DiNardo - hey, they're both lefties, even Steven.

Moving on.

Like I said, Duncan is garbage. For once, we agree.

I wonder what they would want from the Yankees for him, however. Hughes and Tabata are out, I wonder what else they would take, if anything.