PDA

View Full Version : Yankees nearing deal for Mike Gonzalez?

jacksonianmarch
12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
http://mvn.com/mlb-yankees/

Have never used this source before, but why not. They say it isnt official yet, but is nearing completion. Sounds like Melky and a B level prospect. Nothing we didnt already know aside from the fact that it seems to be getting closer to happening.

Optimist
12-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't like this trade. I'd hate seeing Melky leave NY....especially for a bullpen arm.

Coco's Disciples
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Their link is an article from yesterday. Not credible.

TheKilo
12-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Why can't you post in the Gonzalez thread?

jacksonianmarch
12-18-2006, 08:30 PM
cause this has passed one time rumor level and I figured I'd put it where it belongs, in the Yankee thread. Hope I am not annoying anyone.

Coco's Disciples
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Has passed one time rumor level? It's an uncredible blog post with a link to something that we've already seen.

TheKilo
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
cause this has passed one time rumor level and I figured I'd put it where it belongs, in the Yankee thread. Hope I am not annoying anyone.

There's another Gonzalez thread in this subforum though.

http://www.talksox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7989

Rdsxmbnt
12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
theres plenty of bandwith

example1
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't like this trade. I'd hate seeing Melky leave NY....especially for a bullpen arm.

I've got to agree with this assessment. Melky has certainly earned his spot on the team and it would be a shame to get traded for a reliever. I think Melky is a very good player and I wish the sox got him. He's solid.

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 08:08 AM
from today's herald.

Losing out to the Bucs

Last week, general manager Theo Epstein said the club had extended an invitation to spring training to veteran Japanese pitcher Masumi Kuwata. The right-handed reliever, however, chose to sign with the Pirates instead, a decision based partly on what he said was his lifelong affinity with Roberto Clemente.

It is also believed that Kuwata, 38, felt he had a better chance of pitching in the majors with the Pirates. Pittsburgh is expected to have at least one opening in their bullpen, once they decide where to trade 28-year-old Mike Gonzalez.

The Sox, New York Yankees and Atlanta are believed to be the most ardent pursuers of the lefty. The Sox have mentioned Coco Crisp and Eric Hinske, but the Bucs are believed to have their eye on either Braves first baseman Adam LaRoche or Yankees outfielder Melky Cabrera.

So Melky has more value than Crisp in the Pirates eyes? Wow.

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spyanks195021738dec19,0,6170841.story?coll=ny-sports-print

This article makes it seem like the Yankees are the ones who are holding up the deal.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192006/sports/yankees/yanks_ink_igawa_deal_yankees_george_king.htm

George King (the equivalent of Gordon Edes in NY) says that the Yankees-Pirates dialogue is essentially toast, but that the braves and pirates are trying to get something done, then the yankees and braves will talk once Gonzalez is acquired.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1166510438315490.xml&coll=1

and this one made it sound like the pirates and braves arent talking and the yankees are trying to find another team to help out. I wonder who is right?

Coco's Disciples
12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
MLBTradeRumors says Gonzalez and McLouth for Cabrera and Ian Kennedy. That would be a very good deal for the Yankees IMO.

Papelbon58
12-19-2006, 03:06 PM
In a way I hope it happens. I think Melky and Kennedy are extremely dangerous, and that trading Melky for a bullpen guy with no big game or American League experience is a mistake. McLouth is good I guess, but the Yankees have a solid core of pitchers they are developing in house. Trading Kennedy is a risk. I hope they do it. I do not really like Gonzales for the Sox anyway.

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

why the hell would they want Kennedy of all pitchers? He sounds like a Jeff Suppan lite and is the least likely of the yankees top 10 to make the majors. As a yankee fan, I would have to say that this deal would be in our favor. Then again, I think dealing away the last two first round picks in a span of 6 months should essentially motivate Cashman to make a wiser first selection (although I think his selcetions thereafter have been fabulous).

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I had thought Kennedy was a good pitcher when we drafted him as his scouting report said something about a low 90s heater and 3 plus offspeed pitches. Then when you get a few other scouting reports and then get to see him play on the boob tube (he was on YES at some point recently) then you see that his heater tops out at 88 and his only good off speed pitch is that changeup. They have a further advanced version of himself in AAA (clippard). This may be the one guy in the minors that I'd say do it. Although in the NL, Kennedy may have a shot to be a pretty good pitcher, but he is not an AL type dominant type pitcher.

Papelbon58
12-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I think Melky>Gonzalez, and McLouth is not that much better than Kennedy, plus he is not raised in the Yanks system

I'm just saying. I do not care that much, because Gonzalez is not a big deal to me

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
you know what, something is afoot here. Just checked Kennedy's stats. Have you seen what he is doing recently in the hawaiian league? In his last 20.1IP he has allowed 6ER and K'd 31 batters while walking only 3. Where did this stuff come from. When I last saw him he got pumped for 8ER in a little over an inning. I am going to waffle over this thing for awhile until it is either nixed or completed.

Mr Crunchy
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
kennedy was a hi fallutin draft pick and if im not mistaken it was tampa that had him 1st
his career can be described as a disappointment but hes still young enuff and he throws from the left side so its still very possible for him to have what amounts to be an effective career

jacksonianmarch
12-19-2006, 03:36 PM
he is a righty Mr. C. He has been compared to Mike Mussina, but the Mussina of old threw 92-94 consistently. But this guy cannot break 90 without grunting.

Mr Crunchy
12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
was he in oakland last year jack??

Coco's Disciples
12-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Thinking of Joe Kennedy I believe.

Papelbon58
12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
yeah, this is Ian Kennedy, he has never been to the majors before, Yankees drafted and raised

Mr Crunchy
12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
my bad men
apologies

jacksonianmarch
12-20-2006, 06:57 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12202006/sports/yankees/doug__i_dig_yanks_yankees_george_king.htm

George King is reporting that if the yankees dont give both Proctor and Melky, a deal wont happen. Good, fuck Pittsburgh, pull it off the table. That is WAY too much.

Coco's Disciples
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
http://buccoblog.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/2006/12/too_late_the_tr.html

All but done. Gonzalez is taking a physical.

BSN07
12-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Well Jacko we will see what Ol Melky is made of now won't we.

Coco's Disciples
12-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Personally, I like this deal for the Yankees. We saw that Kyle Farnsworth wasn't a great setup man last year. Gonzalez was good last year, but he did walk a load, and he did play in Pittsburgh. We'll have to see how he adjusts to the pressure.

Melky Cabrera is a good young player. I just don't think he's a future superstar. He wouldn't start this year, although since the Yankees outfield is injury prone, he would probably get significant action.

ARod2212
12-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'll wait for something besides BuccoBlog.

jacksonianmarch
12-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Personally, I like this deal for the Yankees. We saw that Kyle Farnsworth wasn't a great setup man last year. Gonzalez was good last year, but he did walk a load, and he did play in Pittsburgh. We'll have to see how he adjusts to the pressure.

Melky Cabrera is a good young player. I just don't think he's a future superstar. He wouldn't start this year, although since the Yankees outfield is injury prone, he would probably get significant action.

I made a point earlier about Melky not getting enough PT because the yankee outfield is actually anything but injury prone. Matsui played every single game of his career until he broke his wrist. Abreu has played over 150 games for something like 9 yrs in a row and Damon is continually over 135 games, so Melky would have had to squak out some time when one of those guys got a rest as the DH. I love Melky. I think the guy is gonna hit for a high average one day and be a very different style of corner OFer. At the same time, he wont see the field as a starter for 2 more yrs and the yankees in that time will likely have a better OFer to go after or bring up Tabata. The time is now to move him, unfortunately.

a700hitter
12-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I made a point earlier about Melky not getting enough PT because the yankee outfield is actually anything but injury prone. Matsui played every single game of his career until he broke his wrist. Abreu has played over 150 games for something like 9 yrs in a row and Damon is continually over 135 games, so Melky would have had to squak out some time when one of those guys got a rest as the DH. I love Melky. I think the guy is gonna hit for a high average one day and be a very different style of corner OFer. At the same time, he wont see the field as a starter for 2 more yrs and the yankees in that time will likely have a better OFer to go after or bring up Tabata. The time is now to move him, unfortunately.Who will be the 4th OF in 2007...Bernie?

jacksonianmarch
12-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Who will be the 4th OF in 2007...Bernie?

probably thompson if defense is needed and bernie if offense is needed. I see them carrying 5OFers.

a700hitter
12-23-2006, 11:32 AM
probably thompson if defense is needed and bernie if offense is needed. I see them carrying 5OFers.Is Bernie under contract?

jacksonianmarch
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Is Bernie under contract?

not right now. If melky doesnt get dealt, then Bernie wont have a spot. If he does get dealt, expect him to be a yankee.

Coco's Disciples
12-23-2006, 01:42 PM
I made a point earlier about Melky not getting enough PT because the yankee outfield is actually anything but injury prone. Matsui played every single game of his career until he broke his wrist. Abreu has played over 150 games for something like 9 yrs in a row and Damon is continually over 135 games, so Melky would have had to squak out some time when one of those guys got a rest as the DH. I love Melky. I think the guy is gonna hit for a high average one day and be a very different style of corner OFer. At the same time, he wont see the field as a starter for 2 more yrs and the yankees in that time will likely have a better OFer to go after or bring up Tabata. The time is now to move him, unfortunately.

Johnny Damon is pretty damn injury prone. You don't need 3 guys hurt to get the 4th one playing time.

jacksonianmarch
12-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Johnny Damon is pretty damn injury prone. You don't need 3 guys hurt to get the 4th one playing time.

Damon is durable bro. He takes the field with anything. My definition of injury prone and yours may be different. I consider injury prone by the injury and time missed. If your definition of injury prone is the fact that the guy battles multiple injuries every season then you are dead on. Fact is, though, Melky needs to see the field for at least 100 games, and out of the 3 in the OF and if Giambi is in fact entrenched at DH, then you wont get 40 out of that OF.

ARod2212
12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Who will be the 4th OF in 2007...Bernie? Precisely why I don't want to lose Melky. Bernie as a 4th outfielder is a downgrade in every respect compared to Melky. Except veteran's experience!!!

example1
12-23-2006, 06:42 PM
I imagine an extra incentive for the Yankees is keeping this pitcher away from the Red Sox. I'm willing to bet that was part of their thought process.

riverside sluggers
12-23-2006, 09:35 PM
In a way I hope it happens. I think Melky and Kennedy are extremely dangerous, and that trading Melky for a bullpen guy with no big game or American League experience is a mistake. McLouth is good I guess, but the Yankees have a solid core of pitchers they are developing in house. Trading Kennedy is a risk. I hope they do it. I do not really like Gonzales for the Sox anyway.

Gonzalez is certainly better to close in 07 than the current in house candidates. Options continue to dwindle away, soon the Sox will be pressed against the wall to make a desperation trade... but eh maybe the Sox can tell their fans to expect a rehash of the bullpen by committe experiment

elsrbueno
12-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I imagine an extra incentive for the Yankees is keeping this pitcher away from the Red Sox. I'm willing to bet that was part of their thought process.

I'm sure it's part of the thought process, and we should wait until a reliable source says something about the logistics of the trade, but chances are there's more coming from the Yankees than just Melky Cabrera for Gonzalez.

However, in this market, if you can get a hard throwing lefty for a 4th outfielder you do it 10 times out of 10. Like I've said 100 times on this board, Melky Cabreras are a dime a dozen.

ARod2212
12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm sure it's part of the thought process, and we should wait until a reliable source says something about the logistics of the trade, but chances are there's more coming from the Yankees than just Melky Cabrera for Gonzalez.

However, in this market, if you can get a hard throwing lefty for a 4th outfielder you do it 10 times out of 10. Like I've said 100 times on this board, Melky Cabreras are a dime a dozen. Except Melky's replacement is going to be Bernie Williams. Melky can play all three outfield positions. Bernie can't play any. That will hamstring the team.

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Hrm. I hope Bernie retires. If the yankees think they are carrying 12 position players, they cannot have someone so inept at fielding in the OF as the backup. If we deal Melky, I hope KT gets the job as backup OFer. That guy is a good little ballplayer.

TheKilo
12-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Hrm. I hope Bernie retires. If the yankees think they are carrying 12 position players, they cannot have someone so inept at fielding in the OF as the backup. If we deal Melky, I hope KT gets the job as backup OFer. That guy is a good little ballplayer.

Kevin Thompson sucks something fierce.

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 12:37 PM
he's better than Kapler

Coco's Disciples
12-24-2006, 01:40 PM
...No?

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 01:47 PM
we shall see. He is faster and has more power.

a700hitter
12-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Hrm. I hope Bernie retires. If the yankees think they are carrying 12 position players, they cannot have someone so inept at fielding in the OF as the backup. If we deal Melky, I hope KT gets the job as backup OFer. That guy is a good little ballplayer.Bernie was a vastly underrated player even by Yankee fans who I believe never gave him the credit he deserved. The only more important player in their championship run was Mo. Bernie was every bit as important as Jeter, O'Neil and Tino.

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Bernie was a vastly underrated player even by Yankee fans who I believe never gave him the credit he deserved. The only more important player in their championship run was Mo. Bernie was every bit as important as Jeter, O'Neil and Tino.

I agree. I loved Bernie, the man was amazing, but I dont think there is a baseball fan with eyes who thinks he can hang as a defender anymore.

a700hitter
12-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree. I loved Bernie, the man was amazing, but I dont think there is a baseball fan with eyes who thinks he can hang as a defender anymore.He's shot as a defender. His arm has been gone for many years. His range has been gone for the last two or three years, and most recently he breaks very late on balls.

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Bernie was never considered a player who made great breaks. He was always someone who tracked a ball well once he broke. His speed made up for his slow breaks. Once his speed went, his breaks were very apparent.

a700hitter
12-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Bernie was never considered a player who made great breaks. He was always someone who tracked a ball well once he broke. His speed made up for his slow breaks. Once his speed went, his breaks were very apparent.He can't read the ball at all anymore. He's a shell of himself. I don't know why he is hanging on.

jacksonianmarch
12-24-2006, 03:51 PM
He can't read the ball at all anymore. He's a shell of himself. I don't know why he is hanging on.

He loves the game. If he wants to play, I wont stop him. He just wont have a spot here.

TheKilo
12-24-2006, 10:38 PM
he's better than Kapler

I also think Kapler sucks something fierce.