PDA

View Full Version : Yankees 1b options

jacksonianmarch
12-20-2006, 09:25 AM
So I was running by a few names in the times article today which included the preposterous idea of getting Loretta to play 1b and a name popped out which gave me an idea. Why not go with a platoon. Get Mientkiewicz for facing right handers, and go out to get Eduardo Perez to play vs lefties. The guy mashed lefties to a .857OPS last season. That would help to even out the lineup when facing a tough lefty while giving the yankees the D of Mientkiewicz for the majority of the games (seeing as there are more righty starters than left).

Other options include the powerful yet defensively inept Josh Phelps, the I cannot hit a breaking ball Andy Phillips, and the barely able to break .700OPS Mark Loretta. Sounds like my idea would work.

rician blast
12-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Could a return of Nick Johnson work for the Yankees if they could swing such a deal? I like this guy, over .900 OPS last year, 23 dingers, walked more than he K'd, good OBP.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
12-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't forget about Craig Wilson. I'd be ok if he platooned with Mientkiewicz. He crushes lefties.

jacksonianmarch
12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I love Nick Johnson, but Bowden is asking for the moon for anyone over there. He would have reason to ask for the moon for johnson as he and zimmerman will be the 3-4 in that lineup. If we are gonna trade away any big parts, we would need to do it for pitching.