PDA

View Full Version : Alberto Gonzalez, diamond in the rough?

jacksonianmarch
01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
So I was perusing the prospect list from the guys who came over from ARI in the RJ deal, and I was pretty excited about Ohlendorf, kinda excited about Jackson and not so much about Gonzalez. But two columns today quote "annonymous execs" who say that Gonzalez would be the first one that they would ask for in a deal. Both Bill Madden and Ken Rosenthal echoed the same opinion. As a matter of fact, here is the excerpt from Madden's article in the daily news today.

From all accounts, Alberto Gonzalez, the shortstop prospect the Yankees got from Arizona in the Randy Johnson deal, may be a real sleeper. According to one NL exec: "We've had our eyes on him for a couple of years. He's a good one and if we should ever engage the Yankees in trade talks, he'd be the first guy we'd probably ask for."

Very interesting to say the least. If he has so much value, why not shift Robby to 1b and move Gonzalez to 2b? Or maybe he is a nice chip to package with a pitching prospect to get something nice. Who knows, but if this kid really has this much value, then this is a damn good deal.

a700hitter
01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
OMG you are still crowing about giving up a 17 game winning future HOF for some prospects in a salary dump. It's been beat to death. Let's see what they do in your organization and if they ever pan out. All the artickles and opinions by all the writers aren't going to make these guys any better than they were on the day they were traded. The last time I looked none of them will be on the 2007 opening day roster, so they are non-factors.

jacksonianmarch
01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
just because someone isnt on the opening day roster doesnt mean they'll be non-factors. At the same time, having the media toot their horns is a good way to raise their stock a bit. If this kid is actually a trade chip, then sweet.

a700hitter
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
just because someone isnt on the opening day roster doesnt mean they'll be non-factors. At the same time, having the media toot their horns is a good way to raise their stock a bit. If this kid is actually a trade chip, then sweet.Let's wait till someone els is asking for the kid before we start taling about him. Until then he is a non-factor.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Was he invited to ST?

jacksonianmarch
01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I dont think so. My suggestion of moving Robby to 1b was contingent on Gonzalez having a solid AAA season in 07.

Gom
01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Jacks, don't believe everything you read. The guy is an average prospect at best.