PDA

View Full Version : Yankees ranked top pitching farm system in the game

jacksonianmarch
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5870&PHPSESSID=21370714a45b3d3053

and it isnt even close. The yankees composite farm system pitching score was 74. The 2nd highest was 64 in florida. The distance between 64 and 54 spans spots 2 through 11.
The yankees rated 4th overall mostly due to placing 18th in offensive farm system.

The sox rated 11th overall, 7th in pitching with Buchholz leading the way.

a700hitter
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5870&PHPSESSID=21370714a45b3d3053

and it isnt even close. The yankees composite farm system pitching score was 74. The 2nd highest was 64 in florida. The distance between 64 and 54 spans spots 2 through 11.
The yankees rated 4th overall mostly due to placing 18th in offensive farm system.

The sox rated 11th overall, 7th in pitching with Buchholz leading the way.Good for them. For many years the KC Royals had that honor... didn't they? That's select company.

CrespoBlows
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Good for them. For many years the KC Royals had that honor... didn't they? That's select company.

:lol:

No, not even close.

jacksonianmarch
02-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Good for them. For many years the KC Royals had that honor... didn't they? That's select company.

actually, I dont think they ever did.

Jon_Papelboner
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
omg Phil hughez!!11!oneoneone

26 Reasons to Hate Us
02-15-2007, 06:23 PM
omg Phil hughez!!11!oneoneone

Let's save the bashing on jacks for when he's talkin up kids in A ball, not legit ace prospects..

Jon_Papelboner
02-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Let's save the bashing on jacks for when he's talkin up kids in A ball, not legit ace prospects..

I am totally and utterly confused.

schillingouttheks
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Your return just brought this site's IQ down 100 points.

Jon_Papelboner
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Your return just brought this site's IQ down 100 points.

It's already legally retarded, what's a 100 point decrease matter?

CrespoBlows
02-15-2007, 07:34 PM
It's already legally retarded, what's a 100 point decrease matter?

75 - Forrest Gump
-25 - You/yankeehater/GIARSF

example1
02-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Plenty of exciting pitchers throughout the system, both in starting and relief roles, but who is going to hit?

Here's the problem with things like this list. Yeah, if we had to create new teams out of Farm Systems then the Sox wouldn't have hitters. Fortunately, they just hired JD Drew for 5 years, Julio Lugo for 4, they have Crisp for 3 more (and an option for the 4th), Wily Mo Pena for 2 more seasons (also due for an extension if he plays well this year), Youkilis under Sox control for 4 seasons, Pedroia for like 6 (he has less than a year of ML service) and Ortiz until 2011. That's 7 guys who could potentially be MLB caliber for the next 5 years. By then? I don't know, but the qualifier above was "Jacoby Ellsbury is the only star-potential hitter who is close". In 5 years those "non-close" people will be quite close indeed. Combine that with a FO that has had 2 of the best drafts recently and have money to spend, and I'm not really too concerned with the Sox offensive ranking.

I think the Yankees are largely in the same situation, though they have less of their future solidified--especially if A-Rod is a questionmark. you have to figure Jeter and Cano are here to stay, Damon will be around for a few years and I could see him signing a Berniesque extension. Otherwise, I'm vexed.

That said, I think the Sox and Yanks both approach drafts with a pitching heavy approach and I think that's a great way to do it. Look at the immediate impact that guys like Hudson, Zito and Mulder had on an otherwise weak A's team. I don't think there's anything wrong with havin gthe #7 ranked pitching system. Not only has some of that already paid off (Jon Papelbon) but other parts of it are close (Hansen, Lester, Delcarmen) and other parts are between 2-3 years away (Buchholz, Bard, Bowden).

If the Sox traded away two marquee players like Randy Johnson and Gary Sheffield they could get some great prospects too. What they couldn't get and didn't get were great major league players, and that's what ultimately matters.

NateGrey
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM

This is pure comedy ..

.. Joba Chamberlain who according to BP
What he did in 2006: Signed too late to make his debut. is a very good prospect yet they rate Daniel Bard a "good prospect" .. :lol: ..

.. Like I said, pure comedy ..
Chamberlain blew away scouts in the Hawaiian Winter League

jacksonianmarch
07-14-2007, 11:19 AM

This is pure comedy ..

.. Joba Chamberlain who according to BP is a very good prospect yet they rate Daniel Bard a "good prospect" .. :lol: ..

.. Like I said, pure comedy ..

what now Nate?

schillingouttheks
07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
what now Nate?

He wasn't posting with a centered format. He wasn't thinking clearly. :lol:

Gom
07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I am curious. Once Phil Hughes joins the rotation, where do you the Yankees rank? A team's ranking is a joke. The whole idea of the minor leagues is to feed the major league club. So what happens when Hughes and Chamberlain and Kennedy Sanchez and Offendahl make it or are traded [or flame out]? The Yankees drop in the shitter with their rankings.

This is why the rankings mean pretty much nothing. You want to know who has the best farm system? The one that turns out the best players. The cycle never ends. A team's minor league system is just that. It's minor. It's used to help the Major League Team.

A team that has a slew of low level minor leaguerers with decent/high upside, had a very strong draft, but no legitimate prospects for say this year is a much better system than one that has a bunch of journeyman with decent numbers in Double A. Why? The first system will feed the team in the upcoming years much better. However, if you can trade those prospects for major leaguers, you do it, with the moronic rankings be damned for the minors.

This was my rant for the day.

SchillingIsTheNatural
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I am curious. Once Phil Hughes joins the rotation, where do you the Yankees rank? A team's ranking is a joke. The whole idea of the minor leagues is to feed the major league club. So what happens when Hughes and Chamberlain and Kennedy Sanchez and Offendahl make it or are traded [or flame out]? The Yankees drop in the shitter with their rankings.

This is why the rankings mean pretty much nothing. You want to know who has the best farm system? The one that turns out the best players. The cycle never ends. A team's minor league system is just that. It's minor. It's used to help the Major League Team.

A team that has a slew of low level minor leaguerers with decent/high upside, had a very strong draft, but no legitimate prospects for say this year is a much better system than one that has a bunch of journeyman with decent numbers in Double A. Why? The first system will feed the team in the upcoming years much better. However, if you can trade those prospects for major leaguers, you do it, with the moronic rankings be damned for the minors.

Good post. I agree a teams farm system should be ranked on those players who came up through the system and are making an impact in the league....after all thats what matters and should be considered the big test if a player is that good.

jacksonianmarch
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM

This is a good rant. With Hughes ascending to the majors and losing his prospect status, the yankees pitching farm system has to take a bit of a hit. AT the same time, from the beginning of this yr to now,

Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy have risen to the top in terms of elite prospects.
Betances has been alright then had an elbow issue, which will push his ETA back most likely, hence dropping his stock.
Clippard was dominating the minors, then got his shit pushed in with the big club and has been torched in AAA ever since.
Wright emerged onto the scene in AA and became one of the league's hottest pitchers, until the Red Sox initiated him. Now he is pitching okay in AAA.
DeSalvo and Igawa, both "prospects" got shitcanned
Ohlendorf looked great in ST then got hurt and hasnt been himself since his return.White battled injury problems and is finally on track again, although it is too late since Hughes will likely return.
Karstens and Rasner who were quasi prospects at the beginning of the yr were hit pretty hard then broke bones on comebackers. Karstens will return this week, while Rasner is likely dont for the yr.
Sanchez, Cox, Melancon, and Garcia all went down with elbow surgery
Nova pitched great, then got hurt and pitched like shit until hsi last start
McCutchen and Kontos have been nice surprised in A+ ball.
Whelan was demoted to A+ ball so he could start and fine tune his control, pushing his ETA back one season.
McCallister has dominated in A+ ball since a bad start.

So overall, we have had 2 guys outshine all, many falter and a few come out of nowhere to be productive. We had another draft with high end pitching talent, but with more ???'s in terms of injury or signability than we had last season. So, I'd expect us to stay in the top 5, but we likely wont be the top pitching farm next season. But this is what happens when the majority of your big time prospects are MLB ready. Some shine, most get chopped to bits.