PDA

View Full Version : Can You Really Hate These Guys?

Thumper
02-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Phil Rizzuto
Yogi Berra
Mickey Mantle
Reggie Jackson

Sure they wore the dreaded Pin-Stripes but they were some of the most awesome ball players of their time! These are the few exceptions to the hatred of the Yankees. Or atleast in my book.

CrespoBlows
02-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Phil Rizzuto
Yogi Berra
Mickey Mantle
Reggie Jackson

Sure they wore the dreaded Pin-Stripes but they were some of the most awesome ball players of their time! These are the few exceptions to the hatred of the Yankees. Or atleast in my book.

Joe DiMaggio would charge you $1000 dollars for an autograph.

Reggie Jackson was an egotistical maniac.

I've eliminated those two. Perhaps a700hitter could do the rest?

Thumper
02-17-2007, 02:11 AM
Ok so that leaves:

Lou Gehrig
Phil Rizzuto
Mickey Mantle
Yogi Berra

I can't think of anything they did wrong off the top of my head. I'll go check some sites.

Jon_Papelboner
02-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Why are you defending yankees?

Btw- Mantle got to the top of liver donation list despite abusing his liver. There were definitely some kids or other more deserving people that got fucked over. So, take him off as well.

arbitrary
02-17-2007, 04:24 AM
I've always appreciated those darned Yogi-ims.

Thumper
02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Why are you defending yankees?

Btw- Mantle got to the top of liver donation list despite abusing his liver. There were definitely some kids or other more deserving people that got fucked over. So, take him off as well.

I'm not defending Yankees. I'm defending true base ballers.

I know a bunch of die-hard Yankee fans who even admit that Ted Williams was the best. So why can't we be nice to some of their old timers?

Which have been narrowed to Gehrig, Berra, and Rizzuto. I see no problem with those three. Especially Gehrig, how could you argue about a man who got a bad break?

CrespoBlows
02-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I've always appreciated those darned Yogi-ims.

Most likely, they were wrongly attributed to him.

Coco's Disciples
02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Ugh, Reggie Jackson is a pest to get an autograph from. I got one at Fenway and he gave the group of 15-20 people there a 5 minute lecture on manners.

HeadOfSoxNation
02-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Ugh, Reggie Jackson is a pest to get an autograph from. I got one at Fenway and he gave the group of 15-20 people there a 5 minute lecture on manners.

I couldn't agree with you more on Reggie...I saw him at Hall Of Fame Inductions on two seperate occasions and he wouldn't give ANYONE the time of day. And the funny thing about it was...I don't know if anyone's ever been to inductions in Cooperstown before...but the morning on, a ton of HOFers get together and play golf. Between 9 and 10 (I think), you have to cross the street. A small group of fans hang out and shake hands and get autographs and what not. Well, Reggie just came stroooooolling down the street...right through the fans. Like, you can see them waiting there from a quarter mile before and a quarter mile after. He just walked up, and you'd THINK that he was going to say hello to people, take some pictures, sign some autographs. Nope. He just went right through and didn't even acknowledge anyone.

In all fairness to Reggie...and all celebs, actually...people do need to check themselves when it comes to asking for autographs. I'm 23 (today, actually)...and I'm wayyyy past my "cute kid" level...when athletes and celebrities would hook me up big time. And you know what? That's fine. I had my time. I can't stand when celebs don't sign a few or don't give people the time of day...but at the same rate, it bothers me even more when you have these middle-aged men elbowing out little kids to get to a ballplayer.

I remember ARod at Spring Training the year after he signed the huge deal with the Rangers...he signed SO many autographs it was unbelievable...seriously, he was there for two hours. He would sign for adults, too...but then you have these assholes that push it and shove thing after thing after thing to him. Take your one and MOVE ON. Don't try to compensate being 300 lbs and never having touched a woman by having 6 autographed pieces of Alex Rodriguez memorabilia.

At ST in 2003...Pedro sat in the outfield and had one of the clubhouse attendants line up little kids and send them out to him one by one, and he'd talk with them for a minute and then sign and send them back. Then the next kid would come. He didn't sign for anyone that looked over 15. I missed my opportunity because I was too old, but I appreciated what he was doing.

Maybe the setting wasn't right for Reggie's lecture...but people definitley do need to develop some manners/common sense.

HeadOfSoxNation
02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Phil Rizzuto
Yogi Berra
Mickey Mantle
Reggie Jackson

I asked Rizzuto how he was feeling (I was about 11 or 12 at the time) and he said "Fine...and I'm getting sick of people asking me." Thanks asshole, nevermind. Hate him.

Really like Yogi...

I like Mantle...became a great guy in his older years. Never got the chance to meet him at Inductions because he always said that he wouldn't go back until Billy Martin was put it. His speech of "I am a role model...don't be like me." I thought was true, candid, and awesome. Can't help but like the Mick. (And besides...he was just the first coming of JD Drew, right? :thumbsup: )

Can't help but give it up for JoeD...he could mash, and he banged Marilyn Monroe. What more do you want? Haha.

Reggie needs to check his ego big time and be a little warmer to people.

If it wasn't for being a Sox fan...I wouldn't have started to hate the Yanks until relatively recently. I hate their administration, how they lack all sorts of loyalty, how they spend all the money in the freaking WORLD...that wasn't always the case. It's weird...the players have gotten harder to hate on the Yanks (I like the way Jeter plays, I like Mo, I liked Bernie, I can't help but like Matsui because he's never said anything that I could understand that I don't like :dunno: , Moose is a class act, Cano seems like a good guy)...yet the team has gotten farrrrrrrrrr easier to hate than they were previously.

Papelbon58
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Can You Really Hate These Guys?

Yes.

a700hitter
02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Phil Rizzuto
Yogi Berra
Mickey Mantle
Reggie Jackson

Sure they wore the dreaded Pin-Stripes but they were some of the most awesome ball players of their time! These are the few exceptions to the hatred of the Yankees. Or atleast in my book.I like dead Yankees, so Joe D. (although he was a scumbag while he was alive), Mantle (a nasty drunk) and Gehrig (a pathetic Mama's Boy) are all okay wih me. I must confess that the Scooter made me laugh and Berra was a star who was totally devoid of arrogance and ego, so I always liked him. He went way up in my estimation by refusing to set foot in Yankee Stadium until the Boss apologized.

jacksonianmarch
02-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Gehrig was a momma's boy? Cmon now. Gehrig was a good guy who caught a real bad break.

a700hitter
02-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Gehrig was a momma's boy? Cmon now. Gehrig was a good guy who caught a real bad break.He was a momma's boy that caught a real bad break.

Jon_Papelboner
02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
You're really reaching for straws on that one.

a700hitter
02-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't need a reason to hate Yankees. The pinstripes are enough. I'm just stating a fact about Gehrig. He was a star professional ballplayer that lived with his mommy into his 30's. That makes him a momma's boy in my book.